Andrew Miller

The tiger fans probably party at night after his starts.They want the players they traded to us, to be busts.

Because we party when Miggy goes 0-4 or when D-Train goes on the DL?

I know I do :)

As far as Miller, I am confident that he will develop into a solid pitcher, he just needs time and for those who are calling for him to be sent down, wont happen because we will lose a year of arbitration with Volstad. Also, for the sake of comparison, Hopper: 7.20 ERA, 0-2 , 14 SO, 1.65 WHIP. Andrew Miller: 9.12 ERA, 1-2, 18 SO, 2.38 WHIP.

Yes, Miller has been hit harder than Burke, but who has more upside? Who do you think is more likely to pitch 7-8 innings of shutout ball? Hopper or Miller? Now, I like both these guys and think they have pretty good stuff to be quality starters but you cant argue that Burke has more upside than Miller. Let the guys pitch and judge them in another 5-6 starts. The only viable option as a starter that the Marlins are probably considering is Waechter and considering that Miller was a huge piece of the blockbuster trade (a lot more than Burke) I would doubt if Miller gets sent down first. Plus, if Waechter replaces Badenhop, badenhop will be moved to the bullpen and help us out there.

The tiger fans probably party at night after his starts.They want the players they traded to us, to be busts.

Because we party when Miggy goes 0-4 or when D-Train goes on the DL?

I know I do :)

As far as Miller, I am confident that he will develop into a solid pitcher, he just needs time and for those who are calling for him to be sent down, wont happen because we will lose a year of arbitration with Volstad. Also, for the sake of comparison, Hopper: 7.20 ERA, 0-2 , 14 SO, 1.65 WHIP. Andrew Miller: 9.12 ERA, 1-2, 18 SO, 2.38 WHIP.

Yes, Miller has been hit harder than Burke, but who has more upside? Who do you think is more likely to pitch 7-8 innings of shutout ball? Hopper or Miller? Now, I like both these guys and think they have pretty good stuff to be quality starters but you cant argue that Burke has more upside than Miller. Let the guys pitch and judge them in another 5-6 starts. The only viable option as a starter that the Marlins are probably considering is Waechter and considering that Miller was a huge piece of the blockbuster trade (a lot more than Burke) I would doubt if Miller gets sent down first. Plus, if Waechter replaces Badenhop, badenhop will be moved to the bullpen and help us out there.

I'm in agreement that we should give both Miller and Badenhop atleast 3 more starts before considering sending them down or moving Burke to the bullpen. We still haven't seen enough of either of them to able to judge what kind of pitchers they project to be in the majors. I think both of them have upside and if they can reach their potential, they should be part of future rotations.

On the other hand, we have seen alot more of Nolasco who is shown us about as much as we can expect from him. Decent curveball when he can locate it and a fastball that left-handed hitters feast on (lefties hitting .328 against him). His changeup is mediocre and he rarely throws it with consistency. He becomes total crap when there is any pressure on him which results in him throwing those fastballs at 90 mph right down the middle. Maybe his future is in the bullpen where he has had some success in brief stints. I would rather see him trade roles with Waechter and take over long relief. I see Badenhop as a starter so if he can continue to lower his ERA then he should stay in the rotation instead of going into a long relief role, atleast until Anibel and Mitre return.

Once those two return, all it takes is 1 of those 3 guys (Miller, Badenhop, Nolasco) to pitch well enough to earn the fifth spot in this rotation:

1. Olsen

2. Mitre

3. Anibel

4. Hendrickson

5. Miller/Badenhop/Nolasco

It's not a bad position to be in, having 3 possible candidates for the 5th slot. The key is having atleast 2 of those 3 do a decent job in starting roles until the return of Manibel or until its possible to call up Volstad. If 1 of those guys continues to bust, which is bound to happen, then Waechter gets his shot. I don't want either Badenhop or Miller in the bullpen so if they struggle they should be sent down and you call up someone like Thompson to fill in.

if they dont send him down im gonna be so pissed. tonight 7 innings 1 er 0 bb's. this franchise is a joke if they dont bring him up and send him down. ive had enough of this sh*t. the kids terrible.

But if they bring up Volstad, he'll be eligible for arbitration a year before they want him to be. Its all about the $ & ?.

Does anyone really need to start naming names of guys we have brought up that totally destroy this theory? Or are you going to play the selective memory game just because you have an axe to grind against the FO and ownership?

Not every instance, but in this one, its pretty obvious. Miller stinks, a normal team would send him down and bring up Volstad. Instead we'll do whatever is the cheapest thing to do. Bob you need to stop your defense of the front office, no matter what, or some here will start to believe you could be an organization "plant" :whistle

I'm not defending the FO with this one. I'm looking at guys they have brought up in the past that totally destroy the theory that they won't bring Volstad up because of $$$ issues. I'm just not letting a hatred of them blind me. It was well known and very publicly stated before the season even started that Chris wasn't ready and probably wouldn't be til later in the year. There are better options right now than bringing up a pitcher that isn't ready. If certain fans want to twist that into bolstering their theory that everything about the ownership and FO is cheap, then IMO that's just blind hatred speaking. I don't like alot of things they have or are doing, but this one is stretching it. There are more legitimate things to bash them on than this one.

Why Andrew hasn't been sent down is beyond me. (For some unexplained reason I picture Coyote in the dug out screaming "He can dooo eet !!!") He dosen't "stink", but he isn't ready either. The thought of sending him to AA, sliding Waechter in his place, and bringing up someone like Nelson has me needing a cold shower. But I can't look at past call ups and then truthfully say they aren't bringing Chris up because of $$$ issues. If you want to wait until later in the season when it is thought Chris is ready and he does make his debut then say something like, "See!! Just like I said!!! It's AFTER this certain date!!! Cheap so-and-so's!!!", then that's just wrong. I want to see Chris up here as much as the next guy. But I don't want him being this year's version of Dutch Boy either. Patience is a virtue some just can't seem to grasp.

and if they would start badenhops big league time, whats wrong about volstad's? exactly

Badenhop's chances of winding up in our rotation long-term (& thus being a $ issue) are not anywhere near Volstad's.

so that would mean they would rather save money than try to win more

Don't forget who our owner is....El Grande Cheapo :whistle

Guess that answers my last post.

Bob, once in a while you need to put down the teal colored glasses and look at reality.

Mungo, once in awhile you need to put down the dark colored glasses and red tipped cane and look at facts. I stated a better option, along with alot of other posters. Chris isn't the right choice or option at this time. We have a guy in the pen with ML experience that can start and guys in AAA that can come up to fill the long reliever roll while letting Chris continue his developement at the AA level. It's not a money issue on this one. It's making the right choice at the right time. It's that simple. Pick a legitimate reason to do some ownership/FO bashing (and there are plenty) and I'll join ya. But not on this one.

His next start against the Padres will probably decide if he stays up or gets sent down.

I thought that before his last start.

Agreed. I have no idea why he is making this start. Or the last one. Are we blind to what they see in him or are they blind to what we don't see in him. I sure would like to know the reasoning.

His next start against the Padres will probably decide if he stays up or gets sent down.

I thought that before his last start.

Agreed. I have no idea why he is making this start. Or the last one. Are we blind to what they see in him or are they blind to what we don't see in him. I sure would like to know the reasoning.

The reasoning is 6ip 4H 2 ER 2BB and 4 SO and probably the W with this Giles error :D

I say Miller had himself a ballgame. This is what we can expect from him as he matures.

Um no offense dude, but.........The Padres have the worst offense in baseball. Not exactly the greatest measuring stick of how well he's progressed.

Doesn't matter how good the offese was, he didn't walk to many people and seemed to control his stuff. That is progress.

Um no offense dude, but.........The Padres have the worst offense in baseball. Not exactly the greatest measuring stick of how well he's progressed.

He was throwing strikes. He got most batters out on less that 3 pitches. This game was a great measuring stick.

He probably won himself another 5 starts with his peformance today. I believe had he not come up to the plate in the 6th inning, Fredi would have stuck with him in the 7th. He definitely showed alot with his longest outing of the year in which he was relatively effecient with his pitch count.

Let's hope to see more quality starts out of him and hopefully he continues to lower his ERA.

I still say he belongs in AA, right now.

...I also say I hope I'm wrong, and he continues to pitch as he did, today. I don't know who his next start is against, but another quality start, and maybe he can start gaining some confidence. He certainly has potential.

In response to some of the comments above, I am a Tigers fan, and I am not rooting for Miller and Maybin to fail. I was never as high on them as some - because while both have a lot of raw talent, they also have significant flaws. I think you have seen them with Miller, and Maybin's AA stats don't point to a polished hitter (he strikes out and hits the ball on the ground too much).

I am happy that Miller finally turned in a decent start for the Marlins. When he is controlling his pitches and able to use more than his fatsball, he can be very good. It looks like he was very efficient with his pitches, too, which is a good sign.

The trade hasn't exactly worked out that well for either team so far. Willis is rehabbing in the minors after his leg injury, and showed no control before it. Cabrera is hitting okay, but I haven't been as impressed by him as I thought I would be. I guess I expected more from him at the plate. He seems to be a boom or bust hitter right now. And he already had to be shifted to 1B because his defense at 3B was attrocious (Guillen is killing the Tigers at 3B now.)

dont think of it that way

i prefer to think of it as miller outdueled one of the best pitchers ever

see that sounds better :D

He was throwing strikes. He got most batters out on less that 3 pitches. This game was a great measuring stick.

I gotta disagree. I just have no confidence in the kid right now. You don't cure inconsistencies with one start. He probably won himself another start or two with this outing, so we shall see.

I gotta disagree. I just have no confidence in the kid right now. You don't cure inconsistencies with one start. He probably won himself another start or two with this outing, so we shall see.

While I agree his still needs to prove himself, I think this start was encouraging. The fact that he looked good doing shows that maybe he is coming around. We obviously won't know until later this week. Can't wait to see him pitch on Saturday. I hope to see more of the same.

While I agree his still needs to prove himself, I think this start was encouraging. The fact that he looked good doing shows that maybe he is coming around. We obviously won't know until later this week. Can't wait to see him pitch on Saturday. I hope to see more of the same.

Anytime he can get past 5 innings is encouraging at this point. I think maybe he was fired up pitching against the guy he grew up trying to emulate. If he can keep that fire going, great. I just dont have the confidence in him right now. And I am rarely pesimistic. The kid has just been getting creamed in the 1st and 2nd innings up until this last start. I'm going with the "I told you so" approach on this one. I said in ST when I saw him he wasn't ready and I haven't seen the consistency yet to sway that thought. PLEASE prove me wrong, Andrew.

In response to some of the comments above, I am a Tigers fan, and I am not rooting for Miller and Maybin to fail. I was never as high on them as some - because while both have a lot of raw talent, they also have significant flaws. I think you have seen them with Miller, and Maybin's AA stats don't point to a polished hitter (he strikes out and hits the ball on the ground too much).

I am happy that Miller finally turned in a decent start for the Marlins. When he is controlling his pitches and able to use more than his fatsball, he can be very good. It looks like he was very efficient with his pitches, too, which is a good sign.

The trade hasn't exactly worked out that well for either team so far. Willis is rehabbing in the minors after his leg injury, and showed no control before it. Cabrera is hitting okay, but I haven't been as impressed by him as I thought I would be. I guess I expected more from him at the plate. He seems to be a boom or bust hitter right now. And he already had to be shifted to 1B because his defense at 3B was attrocious (Guillen is killing the Tigers at 3B now.)

Cabrera won't disappoint. Period.

Cabrera is one of the best players in the game period. He will be your best player for years to come. But if you dont want him, we will take him back.