So who do you want the Marlins to draft?

MikeLowell

Yes, :hug Who are you? lol. I just love baseball. btw: I have Sunday night baseball on right now. GOOO DODGERS!!

I'm Puma :cool . Puma is my last name. And I love baseball as well. And I also have sunday night baseball on now. And I agree, go Dodgers

PLEASE not Skipworth. Tall high school catchers are a terrible choice...even if they can hit, they rarely stay behind the plate. We passed up Hank Conger in the middle of the first round a couple of years ago, that would've been the time to roll the dice on a HS catcher in the first round.

Posey is the obvious choice if he is somehow still on the board. Otherwise, I'm pretty content with just about everyone mentioned. Posey, Hosmer, then Alonso or Crow would be my preference.

I agree. I'm not a fan of taking high school players in the first round all together, let alone a catcher. Sure there are some nice talents that come out of the high school ranks, but college players have a higher rate of making it to the majors than high schoolers. And since we are one of the poorer teams in baseball, I think the organization is much better off taking college players.

That's why I think we should pass on Skipworth. If Posey falls in our laps at 6 (which he probably won't) we nab him. If not, we take a college pitcher or a college position player and wait until the 2nd round to grab a catcher.

Ideally the Marlins will take a college player - Posey or one of the pitchers (Crow, Matusz, or even Friedrich).

If Beinfest goes for a high school position player, I'd rather see the Marlins just shoot the moon on a guy like Anthony Hewitt than go for a high school catcher. But hopefully they don't go HS position player at all.

Yes, :hug Who are you? lol. I just love baseball. btw: I have Sunday night baseball on right now. GOOO DODGERS!!

I'm Puma :cool . Puma is my last name. And I love baseball as well. And I also have sunday night baseball on now. And I agree, go Dodgers

PLEASE not Skipworth. Tall high school catchers are a terrible choice...even if they can hit, they rarely stay behind the plate. We passed up Hank Conger in the middle of the first round a couple of years ago, that would've been the time to roll the dice on a HS catcher in the first round.

Posey is the obvious choice if he is somehow still on the board. Otherwise, I'm pretty content with just about everyone mentioned. Posey, Hosmer, then Alonso or Crow would be my preference.

I agree. I'm not a fan of taking high school players in the first round all together, let alone a catcher. Sure there are some nice talents that come out of the high school ranks, but college players have a higher rate of making it to the majors than high schoolers. And since we are one of the poorer teams in baseball, I think the organization is much better off taking college players.

That's why I think we should pass on Skipworth. If Posey falls in our laps at 6 (which he probably won't) we nab him. If not, we take a college pitcher or a college position player and wait until the 2nd round to grab a catcher.

Agreed. We would absolutely love to see Posey still available, but it looks like the furthest he will drop (signability concerns aside) will be 5th to the Giants. In that case, it looks like the fish will pick between Crow, Matusz, or Yonder Alonso.

By the way, I'm planning on going to the draft!! I can't wait!

At this point we have two in the running for the top pick: Tim Beckham and Buster Posey. I can easily see the loser of those sweepstakes falling to the Marlins, which obviously would be a wonderful coup.

Lets just say:

1. Posey/Beckham

2. Everyone has the Pirates taking Pedro Alvarez.

3. A lot of people have the Royals taking Hosmer, I'll believe it when I see it but he is the key for us getting a Beckham/Posey.

4. Everyone has the Orioles taking Brian Matusz, makes sense.

5. Everyone has the Giants taking Justin Smoak, makes sense.

6. We win the draft and get whoever the Rays did not pick.

I'd prefer it if the Rays take Beckham, as I could see the Royals taking the HS SS over the HS (and more expensive) 1B, but so many people seem to think the Royals have zeroed in on Hosmer, so it might not matter either way.

If neither are there, give me Aaron Crow so long as he doesn't demand a huge contract. I am on the bandwagon. I'd also love Justin Smoak as I think he will be an impact bat and soon, but I just see no way in hell the Giants pass on him.

the fact of the matter is

we need a catcher in the system we got every postion filled on the marlins but catcher

we need to either draft skipworth or Posey or just start adding depth into our organization

The real fact of the matter is that you don't draft based on need and you especially don't draft a HSer based on a perceived need, when the time line for said HS might be five-six years.

we need a catcher in the system we got every postion filled on the marlins but catcher

we need to either draft skipworth or Posey or just start adding depth into our organization

The real fact of the matter is that you don't draft based on need and you especially don't draft a HSer based on a perceived need, when the time line for said HS might be five-six years.

you draft the best available player in the draft.

However, who's to say that isn't Skipworth, at the time, we're drafting? He was the HS player of the year, and there's a reason high schoolers DO get drafted. It'll take more time, but that doesn't change the fact that the kid's got potential.

you draft the best available player in the draft.

However, who's to say that isn't Skipworth, at the time, we're drafting? He was the HS player of the year, and there's a reason high schoolers DO get drafted. It'll take more time, but that doesn't change the fact that the kid's got potential.

I never said he might not be the BPA at #6. The poster above said we should take Skipworth or Posey simply because we don't have a catcher in the organization, just refuting that point.

But Marlins scouting director Jim Fleming shed some light on Florida's goals when he was asked Wednesday what he thought about Skipworth, who might be the best prep catcher since Joe Mauer was taken with the first pick in 2001 by Minnesota.

If Skipworth is available, Fleming said, "then that's probably who we'll take, but we're not down to a decision yet. We have lots of guys we like in the sixth hole."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...rlinsdraft.html

Very, very odd for a scouting director to come right out and say something like that. Not sure what to make of it. Is it a smokescreen, and if so, why would they even need one?

I agree with the Godfather. Hosmer is more or less the achilles heel in us getting Posey. I have seen a mock draft that looked like this:

Rays-Beckham

Pirates-Alvarez

Royals-Hosmer

Orioles-Matusz

Giants-Posey

Marlins-Skipworth

But at that point, I would hope instead of taking Skipworth, we would take Justin Smoak.

I could easily see it going

Rays-Beckham

Pirates-Alvarez

Royals-Hosmer

Orioles-Matusz

Giants-Smoak

Marlins-Posey

The two keys are Beckham going #1 to the Rays and Hosmer going #3 to the Royals.

Whoever we get tomorrow will be a promising prospect. I have confidence in Beinfest and know he will make the right move.

But Marlins scouting director Jim Fleming shed some light on Florida's goals when he was asked Wednesday what he thought about Skipworth, who might be the best prep catcher since Joe Mauer was taken with the first pick in 2001 by Minnesota.

If Skipworth is available, Fleming said, "then that's probably who we'll take, but we're not down to a decision yet. We have lots of guys we like in the sixth hole."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...rlinsdraft.html

Very, very odd for a scouting director to come right out and say something like that. Not sure what to make of it. Is it a smokescreen, and if so, why would they even need one?

This is the full quote from the Sun Sentinel:

"I'm not going to give away any trade secrets," Fleming said on a Wednesday teleconference. "If he happens to be [the top player left], that's probably who we'll take. We're not at a decision yet. We have lots of guys we like in the sixth hole."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...0,1419264.story

we got a catcher in the 2nd round last year but he is a really bad hittter

It was actually the third round (Mike Stanton was drafted in the 2nd).

And Jameson Smith is actually doing pretty well against RHP: .306/.429/.371/.800, walking over 18% of the time and a 14/17 BB/K ratio.

If he could turn into a .400 OBP catcher only against RHP, I'd gladly take it. It's not hard to find a RH back up catcher to start against LHP. Obviously you don't want to put all your marbles in that bag, but if he can become that, he'd be a useful player.

If we don't get Posey, get Crow, and trade some of our pitching for Teagarden/Salty/Clement/Anderson/Yadda Yadda Yadda. Then instead of waiting years and years hoping Skipworth works out, we get an ace pitching and a basically MLB ready C spec: WOOO. That's what I'm hoping happens if Posey doesn't fall to us.

If we don't get Posey, get Crow, and trade some of our pitching for Teagarden/Salty/Clement/Anderson/Yadda Yadda Yadda. Then instead of waiting years and years hoping Skipworth works out, we get an ace pitching and a basically MLB ready C spec: WOOO. That's what I'm hoping happens if Posey doesn't fall to us.

I'd be thrilled if Beinfest was smart enough to do this.

As we close in on midnight, the draft is still, well, pretty much a mess, but there looks to be some direction finally with the Rays at number one overall. It?s not because they?ve made a decision on who is the best player, and it?s not because they?ve decided to go for ceiling (Tim Beckham) over certainty (Buster Posey). It?s because of money. On the final night of the draft, many decisions are made with checkbooks. Teams looking at multiple players begin to make calls to agents to gauge signability, and those discussions can help steer teams one way or the other. Late this evening, multiple sources have indicated as to Buster Posey?s draft-eve asking price, and it?s a doozy at $12 million. Right now, that looks like more than enough to make up the Rays mind, and they?ll likely be taking Tim Beckham unless that number reverses dramatically in the next 12 hours. The real question is to the reason for the number, as some believe it?s a posturing maneuver to drop Posey to a team with deeper pockets, though many feel that strategy would backfire, and somebody with a early pick will call the bluff.

Link

Looks like Posey could be around by the 6th pick. Will Mr. Loria open up the check book?

As we close in on midnight, the draft is still, well, pretty much a mess, but there looks to be some direction finally with the Rays at number one overall. It?s not because they?ve made a decision on who is the best player, and it?s not because they?ve decided to go for ceiling (Tim Beckham) over certainty (Buster Posey). It?s because of money. On the final night of the draft, many decisions are made with checkbooks. Teams looking at multiple players begin to make calls to agents to gauge signability, and those discussions can help steer teams one way or the other. Late this evening, multiple sources have indicated as to Buster Posey?s draft-eve asking price, and it?s a doozy at $12 million. Right now, that looks like more than enough to make up the Rays mind, and they?ll likely be taking Tim Beckham unless that number reverses dramatically in the next 12 hours. The real question is to the reason for the number, as some believe it?s a posturing maneuver to drop Posey to a team with deeper pockets, though many feel that strategy would backfire, and somebody with a early pick will call the bluff.

Link

Looks like Posey could be around by the 6th pick. Will Mr. Loria open up the check book?

For what it is worth, Baseball America's final mock draft has Posey going to the Fish at #6.

And Jameson Smith is actually doing pretty well against RHP: .306/.429/.371/.800, walking over 18% of the time and a 14/17 BB/K ratio.

If he could turn into a .400 OBP catcher only against RHP, I'd gladly take it. It's not hard to find a RH back up catcher to start against LHP. Obviously you don't want to put all your marbles in that bag, but if he can become that, he'd be a useful player.

Would you give up Volstad and someone else for one of those catcher? I would not. We need a catcher but we need pitching more. I doubt we could get any of those catchers unl;ess Volstad is in the deal.

Would you give up Volstad and someone else for one of those catcher? I would not. We need a catcher but we need pitching more. I doubt we could get any of those catchers unl;ess Volstad is in the deal.

For Olsen I am pretty sure we can Anderson (Cards), Teagarden (Tex)

As we close in on midnight, the draft is still, well, pretty much a mess, but there looks to be some direction finally with the Rays at number one overall. It's not because they've made a decision on who is the best player, and it's not because they've decided to go for ceiling (Tim Beckham) over certainty (Buster Posey). It's because of money. On the final night of the draft, many decisions are made with checkbooks. Teams looking at multiple players begin to make calls to agents to gauge signability, and those discussions can help steer teams one way or the other. Late this evening, multiple sources have indicated as to Buster Posey's draft-eve asking price, and it's a doozy at $12 million. Right now, that looks like more than enough to make up the Rays mind, and they'll likely be taking Tim Beckham unless that number reverses dramatically in the next 12 hours. The real question is to the reason for the number, as some believe it's a posturing maneuver to drop Posey to a team with deeper pockets, though many feel that strategy would backfire, and somebody with a early pick will call the bluff.

Link

Yeesh, 12 million? That's unheard of. I don't think anyone has ever signed for 12 million. Theres no way the Marlins will draft him now, even if he is available.