So, what is going on with Olsen.

I only just got home so I don't know about tonight but his fastball has been around 88 seasons his first start of the season, it only started getting talked about recently because of his troubles. People ignored it when he was doing well, but now that he's struggling it's brought to the spotlight. Since he had a shoulder injury in ST, that might have something to do w/ it (not that he's injured now, but it might have done something to him physically/mechanically).

meh, I wasn't sold on him even with the good start. It seemed he was getting lucky, balls were getting hit hard just right at people. He was also walking a lot of people, he was just getting outs at the right time.

Still the same pitcher I saw last season: A very hittable lefty with an average FB, slightly above average to average slider and a non existent change. He's just not that good. I don't see him as part of the future.

meh, I wasn't sold on him even with the good start. It seemed he was getting lucky, balls were getting hit hard just right at people. He was also walking a lot of people, he was just getting outs at the right time.

Still the same pitcher I saw last season: A very hittable lefty with an average FB, slightly above average to average slider and a non existent change. He's just not that good. I don't see him as part of the future.

totally agree

What in the world is going on with Olsen's fastball? For the past few games his fastball is like... not there :shrugs. He can barely get a ball past someone. Could he have a dead arm or do you think he is hurt?

Tommy Hutton a few days ago mentioned that since Olsen has featured his change up alot more than he ever has that pitchers who fall in love with their change ups often lose some steam off their fast balls. With respect to the other posters who have mentioned Olsens stuff his fast last year was on average 90-92 the last couple of starts Olsen's fastball has topped out at 87-88 mph. Olsen's fastball has noticeably lost some of its pop.

As I said in the game thread, MRI that shoulder.

[/quote

]

his top speed tnight was 91 on a strike out

he droped his velocity for accuracy

he had a good slider whcih freezes batters

but the change up omg it suxs always down in the ground 1 outt 6 times its a strike

nd thats y he walks so many cuz he cannot control the slider

but tnight it was about hitting his spots

evry hit was a pitch that he missed his spot up nd got tatooed

Olsen is a very good pitcher just needs to mature and control his pitcher nd maybe learn a new pitch

his top speed tnight was 91 on a strike out

he droped his velocity for accuracy

he had a good slider whcih freezes batters

but the change up omg it suxs always down in the ground 1 outt 6 times its a strike

nd thats y he walks so many cuz he cannot control the slider

but tnight it was about hitting his spots

evry hit was a pitch that he missed his spot up nd got tatooed

Olsen is a very good pitcher just needs to mature and control his pitcher nd maybe learn a new pitch

That was the first time he got above 90 this season. He usually lives around 93. Something's up.

He's just trying to hit his spots, last year he was overthrowing which caused him to throw the ball down the plate or somewhere around the plate where its very hittable, by lowering his speed he has control of his fastball and he is able to spot it where he wants, he is also saving his arm by pitching at a steady speed and not overthrowing. Scotty's doing a great job this year he's just had a couple bad games, he'll be back to how he's been by his next start.

He's just trying to hit his spots, last year he was overthrowing which caused him to throw the ball down the plate or somewhere around the plate where its very hittable, by lowering his speed he has control of his fastball and he is able to spot it where he wants, he is also saving his arm by pitching at a steady speed and not overthrowing. Scotty's doing a great job this year he's just had a couple bad games, he'll be back to how he's been by his next start.

You don't lose 5 MPH just because you're trying to hit your spots. During his 3 game win streak, the average speed of his fastball was 89 MPH. In his last three starts, it's around 85.

What harm would it do to give him an MRI, even if it comes up negative?

Hes not just trying to hit his spots. Read

Neither Olsen nor the Marlins sounded worried. Olsen said he felt physically fine and suggested the drop in velocity might be related to his previous outing, when he threw 121 pitches in 8 2/3 innings, both career highs.

"I've never thrown that long before,'' he said of his start May 6 against Milwaukee, "so there may be a little carry-over affect. But I thought I did a good job of pacing myself between last start and this start throwing-wise, not doing too much. We'll go out there on Friday night against Kansas City and see what happens.''

Palm Beach Post

He acknowledged it was a problem and claimed he wasn't too worried about it. his fastball was around 85 86 at some points last night. Theres no way a Lefty with the ability to sit 92-93 reduces his velocity by 7 mph to hit spots.

Olsen will never be a power lefty and he will never be that finesse lefty who does a wonderful job mixing up speeds and hitting the corners. He is somewhere in between which makes him a journeyman starter in this league.

There are plenty of above average pitchers in the league not classified as a power guy nor a finesse guy. Olsen's early success this year had much to do with his refined change up; he has been changing speeds well.

He is a lefty with a 90-93 mph fastball, a plus slider and changup. (Yes I consider his changup a plus pitch). Before he refined his changup I would agree with you about his future. But when Olsen regains his velocity again we will see the same guy from the beginning of the season.

Olsen will never be a power lefty and he will never be that finesse lefty who does a wonderful job mixing up speeds and hitting the corners. He is somewhere in between which makes him a journeyman starter in this league.

There are plenty of above average pitchers in the league not classified as a power guy nor a finesse guy.

Not lefties. Name 5 front line starting lefties in the league now who aren't ultra control/finesse guys or power guys (95 MPH+).

And I would highly disagree that his change up is a plus pitch. No way, no how, he is nowhere near consistent with it. And his slider is good, but not great.

Anyone think he was sick last night? Sweat was coming off of him like it was raining.

I was wondering the same thing. He had a ridiculous amount of sweat pouring from him. But his velocity has been down all year. Whatever the problem may be, it better be resolved quickly, because Scott Olsen does not have the control to survive with an 85 mile an hour fastball that doesn't move. The funny Giants scored more runs on him last night than I thought they would be capable of scoring in the entire series.

you cant survive on an 85 mph fastball that DOESNT MOVE even with PERFECT control

He's been throwing this way ALL YEAR...we'll see what happens next time, as this was just 1 bad start. He pitched well enough to win against the Royals, and the game against the Nationals wasn't bad either.

He's given us innings all year, and has been the ace thus far, this year.

Calling Olsen a journeyman is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

It sounds like you've never been high on the guy so atleast your consistent.

But Olsen has thrown some great games this year. By most accounts he has been very highly regarded in his career, which by itself means nothing but when talent evaluators with great track records (like Beinfest) like him that's got to count for something.

I think it's fair to take the opinion that he'll never be a #1 type starter but calling him a bum is a bit extreme. I will continue to believe in Olsen as atleast a solid pitcher most teams would be thrilled to have on the cheap until I see a Dontrelle like collapse. Ofcourse, I use to defend Dontrelle also. So what the F do i know.

...that was an idiotic statement...