Is it ok to date a third cousin?

louiecastillo1

How about a half sisters daughter? :mis2

:o Oh God, no! That's a niece!

Half niece. :lol

Yeah, well, close enough!

There was some Dateline or Primetime type show on not so long ago that was a true story about a bunch of siblings that were all put up for adoption. When they were all adults one of them started finding the others. When they had finally located everyone they had a reunion. It turned out one of the brothers and one of the sisters had dated. They made it clear that they had slept together. That sister did not want to be on the show but they said when she walked in and saw him she immediately went to the bathroom and threw up. :(

Guest Lissy

Why do I get the feeling that you'll find a bunch of these types of threads on a Braves forum? :shifty

:lol

And no, I'm not a Braves fan.

Wow. I'm surprised by some of these responses.

My cousin has 5 kids...who are all my second cousins.

One of those kids is my godson. So dating a third cousin would be like dating my godson's daughter.

That's not very many degrees of separation. Just think of your cousins, now think of their kids. You would be dating your cousin's grand daughter.

GROSS GROSS GROSS. And I would like to see proof that, genetically, this wouldn't cause problems, Rab

Just to be technical, thats not how the numbering thing goes. Your first cousins kids are not your second cousins, they are first cousins, once removed. Second cousins are your parents' first cousins' children, if that makes any sense.

I know two first cousins who married and had children.

Funny that you say that because when I saw louies name (started the thread) I was like this is alllllll Rachel...

:lol he once tried tricking me into thinking we were related.

Well I know for a fact we are not related... :mischief

Why do I get the feeling that you'll find a bunch of these types of threads on a Braves forum? :shifty

:lol :lol :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

YOU SIR ARE THE MAN!!! Just for that comment... GO AFTER THAT COUSIN! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Guest Lissy

I know two first cousins who married and had children.

Funny that you say that because when I saw louies name (started the thread) I was like this is alllllll Rachel...

:lol he once tried tricking me into thinking we were related.

Well I know for a fact we are not related... :mischief

Darn!

YOU SIR ARE THE MAN!!! Just for that comment... GO AFTER THAT COUSIN! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

What cousin? :lol I said I would find it weird.

What cousin? :lol I said I would find it weird.

:lol :lol You never know what cousin will show up in your life next... Since there is no cousin, i'll spot you a beer at a game, oh bring along the cousin too :lol

Just for the record, the "cousin" I dated is HOT.

Even more for the record, family get togethers are weird.

And even further then the record, we couldn't have gone any further then we did ;)

And this was a year after my grandfather died.

My other grandfather died a month and a half later.

God Damn Karma! God damn Bacardi 151. God Damn giving us both a penis and a brain and only enough blood to run one at a time!

One of those kids is my godson. So dating a third cousin would be like dating my godson's daughter.

That's not very many degrees of separation. Just think of your cousins, now think of their kids. You would be dating your cousin's grand daughter.

GROSS GROSS GROSS. And I would like to see proof that, genetically, this wouldn't cause problems, Rab

Just to be technical, thats not how the numbering thing goes. Your first cousins kids are not your second cousins, they are first cousins, once removed. Second cousins are your parents' first cousins' children, if that makes any sense.

I see. So are third cousins your grandparents 1st cousins? Then any of their kids are your 3rd cousins once removed....?

I see. So are third cousins your grandparents 1st cousins? Then any of their kids are your 3rd cousins once removed....?

3rd cousins are your grandparents' 1st cousins' grandchildren. If you are not 'removed', that means you are in the same generation. The number just refers to how many generations you go back before you share ancestors (1st cousins share grandparents, 2nd cousins share great-grandparents, ...)

Actually that'd be your first cousin twice removed. A third cousin means you have common great-great-grandparents, but are the same generation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin :mischief

And to respond to a more recent post...

Once you get to third cousin, that might no longer be incest. I think that's the argument.

I think legally it's immediately family, anyone in direct bloodline, and first cousins.

And even further then the record, we couldn't have gone any further then we did ;)

God Damn Karma! God damn Bacardi 151. God Damn giving us both a penis and a brain and only enough blood to run one at a time!

Are you mad at God for giving both you and your cousin a penis?

If it were that, it would make family get-togethers even weirder. Especially if the family were conservative. :mischief

I was thinking the same thing. I would need A LOT more than 151 to get with a cousin who also had a penis.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.