US Supreme Court Says Washington DC Gun Ban Unconstitutional

I agree with the decision historically speaking the founding fathers supported the right for individuals to own guns (hence the 2nd amendment). What is troubling is how political the court has become on every single issue . You know how 8 judges about 99% of time will vote only Kennedy is the wild card .

Kennedy has essentially become the Supreme Court of the United States. Everyone else is just there for moral support.

Wow, the justices actually referred to their pocket Constitutions this time! :blink:

There's pretty much two ways to interpret the Second Amendment:

1) The right to keep and bear arms is limited to "militias", which could be expanded to civilian law enforcement, but is not meant to encompass the general public.

2) The general public ARE the militia intended by the writers of the Bill of Rights.

Where in the phrase "the right to keep and bear arms" is the word "militia?" This is the bill of rights we're talking about, which grants rights and protections to every citizen.

Then obviously you didn't read the whole Second Amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Where in the phrase "the right to keep and bear arms" is the word "militia?" This is the bill of rights we're talking about, which grants rights and protections to every citizen.

Then obviously you didn't read the whole Second Amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The whole militia thing is just one example. At least thats what the SC says. I agree.

My view on this issue: we should be allowed to have guns to protect our selves. Criminals will get guns regardless. Most people who legally have guns(most) don't cause the problem. It's the ones who obtain them illegally.

sigh...more guns will never ever bring about less violence

Bingo.

At least the ruling made it clear that there should be regulation.

Unfortunately the NRA has already started to file lawsuits to challenge the stricter gun laws in court, with this case as their ammo (no pun intended).

Bingo.

Unfortunately the NRA has already started to file lawsuits to challenge the stricter gun laws in court, with this case as their ammo (no pun intended).

There should be regulation definitely. More guns won't bring less violence. But there will always be guns here. Legally or not. And the issue is, who will protect you or your loved ones in the case of criminals having guns and us not.

Jimmy, I forgot how much I hated you.

We were given this right by the founding fathers to protect ourselves. To protect ourselves from crime, not to be at the mercy of how fast the police can show up to your house when you are in mortal peril. To protect ourselves from what our government could become. We were able to start the country because we had firearms and were able to rise up in arms against the tyranny of Great Britain. If we take the right of citizens to have firearms away, what on earth is stopping the government from becoming despotic beyond reason?

Bingo.

There should be regulation definitely. More guns won't bring less violence. But there will always be guns here. Legally or not. And the issue is, who will protect you or your loved ones in the case of criminals having guns and us not.

Jimmy, I forgot how much I hated you.

um...the cops?

ice man...i forgot you existed...and then you hadddddddddddddddd to go and remind me