How is this allowed on a newspaper?

Erick

Did he actually insist on trading chris volstad or dan uggla for a closer that will stay with us for one year? If he said someone like mike jacobs and a pitching prospect like gaby hernandez then maybe. But you dont mortgage the future or a power hitting second baseman for a reliever that will stay with us for one year and then leave.

Did he actually insist on trading chris volstad or dan uggla for a closer that will stay with us for one year?

Nope, that's not what he said. He asked that if the Rockies insist on Volstad, would we still make the deal. Then he went further and said what about Uggla, asking how far would we go to make a trade.

The Sun-Sentinel blogs are sad, not just from the sports guys. They end every blog practically begging people to comment. Rodriguez, who I normally like, is basically trolling in his own column, hoping for comments to be posted. I think the editors are pushing the writers to get comments to show the advertisers that the pages are generating some buzz; the writers have to say whatever they can to get people to respond.

I thought I would post the whole blog comment below, it seems more Mike Berardino's style, especially the Vanden Hurk was lucky with Francoeur throwing him three high fastballs. Gee, all you have to do is listen to Tommy and Rich do Marlins/Braves games to know a) he's a sucker for stuff upstairs and b) a free swinger.

Give the kid a little credit for a terrific performance. This is not the RVH we've seen previously. Can he build on this and actually pitch well at the major league level consistent, admittedly the jury is still out on that. I think a little Willie Glen rubbed off on him in Zebulon. (little inside joke, ignore it.)

> Posted by Juan C. Rodriguez at 9:51:39 PM

Just how Rick VandenHurk drew it up, huh? Five shutout innings of no-hit ball with five walks, including three in a row to open the fourth. Give the kid credit for getting out of a tight jam, but Jeff Francoeur did him a huge favor swinging through three shoulder-high fastballs for the first out. What happened to that guy?

Four pitchers combined on the ninth one-hitter in franchise history. Renyel Pinto was spectacular, striking out three of the six batters he retired. Speaking of the bullpen, opponents are now 17 for their last 121 (.140) off Marlins relievers over the last nine games.

That brings me to the real point of this thread. A lot of Ken Rosenthal-generated buzz about the Marlins' interest in Rockies lefty closer Brian Fuentes. Unfortunately for the Marlins, just about every other team that thinks it can make a postseason run is interested in him, too. No guarantee the Rockies will even trade him, considering they may not feel like they're out of the race in a sub-par National League West.

The question is do you feel Brian Fuentes makes the Marlins a playoff team, and if so, what are you prepared to part with to get him? If the Rockies insist on Chris Volstad being a starting point for any package, do you make the deal? What if they ask for Dan Uggla?

And if not Fuentes, give me the one guy you think the Marlins could add who would have the most impact down the stretch. Let's be reasonable here. Don't think the Yankees are ready to deal A-Rod. Damaso Marte, perhaps? How about a George Sherrill?

You know, before you jump all over Juan (and believe me, I will always be first in line to jump all over any blogger), take a closer look at what he wrote. He is NOT suggesting that the Marlins trade Volstad or Uggla for Fuentes. He is saying " If the Rockies insist on Chris Volstad being a starting point for any package, do you make the deal? What if they ask for Dan Uggla?" The hypothetical question/scenario is thrown out there to gauge an interest in whether you throw risk in for great reward. Also, he is hinting in these hypotheticals that it would be the Rockies who are asking for certain players, not the Marlins offering.

Finally, I thought the Francoeur comment was fair. The guy is in a major slump and the comment is more along the lines of a former proven RBI machine like Francoeur helping out the pitcher's cause by free swinging.

The Rockies are asking WAY too much for Fuentes.

They asked the Rays for Wade Davis, the Red Sox for Clay Buchholz, and the Yankees for Ian Kennedy. All 3 of them are top pitching prospects in their respective organizations and probably top 50 in all of baseball. (It is arguable whether you want to consider Buchholz and Kennedy "prospects" anymore, but still, they are both young with a lot of potential, especially Buchholz)

And the worst part of it is Fuentes would be a 2 month rental. He is testing the Free Agent market after the season.

If I'm the Marlins, I stay the heck away from Fuentes unless the Rockies lower their demands. You don't want to mortgage the future for a reliever who will be on your squad for two months.