According to Yahoo! Sports.....

Dont even give those losers at Yahoo the right to have that exclamation point in the title. We had an option at Hermida for how many years? And Manny how many months? We could have Hermida... not in his prime... potential 30 HR, .275 to .300 hitter for more years than that of Manny in terms of months. Manny has exited his prime a ways back and Hermida is yet to get there. Way to go "Yahoo!".

We are on the losing side of the trade. Not only because we didn't get Manny, but because we "balked at trading ourfielder Jeremy HEREDIA"

:rolleyes:

Well, on the bright side, their only reasoning must be that we would have won a World Series with Manny. So either they're massively overrating Manny, or they actually think we have a pretty good ballclub. Its probably the former though..

There's no way you can call us winners on that trade if we don't win it all with Manny though.

Does the article also say the Dodgers won? :rolleyes:

I said it once tonight...I'll say it again.

It's sad the Dodgers had to get Ramirez, in the first place. It just shows that Andruw Jones and Juan Pierre have been total busts, as signings. Btw, correct me if I'm wrong...but Andruw Jones and Juan Pierre (Dodgers' BACKUP OF'ers) are making more than the entire Marlins roster.

And if anyone REALLY LOST...it's the Red Sox.

They traded Manny Ramirez, Craig Hansen, and Brandon Moss...for Jason Bay. Solid. :rolleyes:

It's sad the Dodgers had to get Ramirez, in the first place. It just shows that Andruw Jones and Juan Pierre have been total busts, as signings. Btw, correct me if I'm wrong...but Andruw Jones and Juan Pierre (Dodgers' BACKUP OF'ers) are making more than the entire Marlins roster.

They traded Manny Ramirez, Craig Hansen, and Brandon Moss...for Jason Bay. Solid. :rolleyes:

Why yes it DOES say the Dodgers won *snicker* and the Red Sox too. Here's the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-t...o&type=lgns

Hansen and Moss aren't really that good, and Jason Bay will give you similar production to Manny these days at the plate and is way better in the field, plus will be there next year.

I think its fair to call us a deadline loser because of our inability to land anything at catcher, but not because of the Manny deal. And overall I think we're fine.

The biggest story about this team, that NOBODY in the national media will write about, is the return of JJ and Anibal, and the arrival of Volstad. These guys could potentially be our 1-2-3 starters for the postseason, AND THEY DIDNT PITCH IN THE FIRST HALF!

I think we're probably in the middle of the pack for deadline teams, not winners or losers. We got the lefty reliever, whiffed on the catcher. The real losers were Philly and the Mets, who both had true needs and did NOTHING to address them. And unlike us, they don't have answers coming off the DL or up from the minors to fix those problems. Our starting pitching is a strength now, and I think the only real weaknesses on this team is catcher, a true dominant closer, and contact hitting.

Hansen and Moss aren't really that good, and Jason Bay will give you similar production to Manny these days at the plate and is way better in the field, plus will be there next year.

Moss never got a chance in Boston.

Hansen was projected as their future closer, a couple years ago...he's 24 years old.

There's still a lot of time for these players to turn into good ballplayers, who can contribute.

As far as Bay...playing in Pittsburgh (where he has...never contended) is a little different from Boston, where he's being thrown into the fire. The spotlight will be on him b/c everyone knows that's the guy they traded Manny for.

They gave up too much.

Bay this year - .282/.375/.519

Manny this year - .299/.398/.529 (and remember he didn't even feel like playing :rolleyes: )

There was no need to trade Manny AND 2 players under the age of 25, whom they've projected to be as a part of their team's future for Jason Bay.

It's not as if this hasn't happened before with Manny. It's not as if the Red Sox wouldn't have gotten 2 draft picks had Manny left, this offseason. It's not as if the Red Sox don't have money to sign a big bat in the offseason, if Manny would have left.

So no...I don't really get the deal for the Red Sox.

Manny Ramirez is a big reason why "Big Papi" is "Big Papi" nowadays.

You really think "Big Papi" is going to get the same pitches to hit, now that he has Jason Bay, instead of HOF'er Manny Ramirez, protecting him in the lineup? Doubt it.

I'd say the Red Sox should've at least gotten Grabow as a part of that deal (as was rumored). That's their BIGGEST NEED. Middle relief. And they didn't do anything about it, really.

Bay this year - .282/.375/.519, 22 HR, 64 RBI

Manny this year - .299/.398/.529, 20 HR, 66 RBI

Those numbers are hardly blinding in Manny's favor. And when you add defense (Bay isn't great, but he is a huge upgrade from Manny), the difference in negligible.

Can you imagine Manny's numbers if he was still trying, though?

Those numbers are hardly blinding in Manny's favor. And when you add defense (Bay isn't great, but he is a huge upgrade from Manny), the difference in negligible.

...and then the Red Sox added 2 players to the deal, whom they considered prospects all this time, for ONE PLAYER, who's producing just as well as the main guy they traded...who, supposedly, was not trying.

And my point is...Manny has done this before. Him and the front office talk trash, deadlines pass, and he's back to hugging teammates, and it's portrayed as "Manny being Manny," and everything's all dandy.

Brandon Moss could've been their LF'er next year had Manny left...OR they could've used it up in Free Agency. The Red Sox have money to spend, especially if Manny would have left this offseason.

It's also hard to compare Jason Bay to Manny. Just ask a pitcher who they'd rather face. Pretty sure 9/10 would say Bay.

As far as defense...Jason Bay isn't exactly Gold-Glover either.

With all of Manny's craziness in the OF, he wasn't terrible playing the Green Monster. And if he did cost them some games, defensively...I'm pretty sure he won twice as many, offensively. So the offense definitely outweighed his defense.

If you want to trade a disgruntled Manny and a mid-level prospect for Bay...fine.

But if you ask me, the Sox gave up too much.

I think they did fine and just what they wanted.

And on defense, here is the comparison:

Bay - .862 RZR, 46 OOZ/1000 Inn.

Manny - .814 RZR, 26 OOZ/1000 Inn.

Some people don't seem to understand how outstandingly bad Manny is in the field. Worst in baseball in RZR and 2nd worst on OOZ, only better than Luis Gonzalez.

Can you imagine Manny's numbers if he was still trying, though?

Eh, he's having a better season than he had last year. It's more in the field where he never tries.

I think they did fine and just what they wanted.

And on defense, here is the comparison:

Bay - .862 RZR, 46 OOZ/1000 Inn.

Manny - .814 RZR, 26 OOZ/1000 Inn.

Some people don't seem to understand how outstandingly bad Manny is in the field. Worst in baseball in RZR and 2nd worst on OOZ, only better than Luis Gonzalez.

I understand this, perfectly, again.

However...is Bay REALLY THAT MUCH OF AN UPGRADE? I'm going to say no. I'm also going to call Manny Ramirez the more feared hitter, here.

I think the additions of Moss and Hansen are too much, in this deal.

Hansen will probably be Pittsburgh's closer...RIGHT NOW.

And Moss will definitely get his chance in Pittsburgh. The chance he never got with the Red Sox.

So getting Bay for Manny (close as it is), and 2 young players (just like we don't give up on Hermida...I don't see why giving up on these two all of the sudden makes sense)...I don't see how the Red Sox are "winners."

Hansen their closer now? I doubt they are going to put a guy with an 5.58 ERA and a 1.696 WHIP in 30.2 IP this season as their closer.

And yes, Bay is THAT MUCH of an upgrade on defense, making nearly twice as many OOZ plays than Manny does.

And yes, Manny is much more feared, but that is based more on reputation than reality.

The fact regarding this trade as follows is this:

Dodgers - Gave up their short/long term future at 3B and a fairly highly rated SP prospect to acquire Manny Ramirez for two months with no cost financially. Manny is almost guaranteed to hit better than Juan Pierre and Andruw Jones combined. This gives them Kemp, Ethier and Manny in the OF and Jones and Pierre coming off the bench as defensive replacements, which at this point is all they're good for anyways.

Pittsburgh - Gave up EASILY their best hitter and a value at that for a stud 3B prospect, a pitching prospect with a high ceiling but is still in like A ball... and Hansen and Moss. Hansen is PROJECTED to be a closer, but has routinely sucked for Boston. Moss is projected to be a PLATOON OFer. So, they got a good prospect, a prospect that's a ways off and two backup quality players. I guess if you're a fan of quantity over quality you'd say they won. You have to remember, Boston's prospects get more coverage than most other teams, book this next year, Michael Stanton in our system will easily be a top 100 prospect, but if he were in Boston, he'd be a top 10 prospect.

Boston - Gives up Manny Ramirez, their backup OFer who they can replace VERY easily from within their own system, Craig Hansen, who's pretty much worn out his welcome in exchange for Jason Bay who's making 7.5M. Bay upgrades them defensively by a wide margin and provides very little offensive difference... he will bat AHEAD of Papi, giving Bay more pitches to hit, thereby improving his numbers. AND this saved the Sox 13M-ish next season with which they can go after Sheets, Sabathia... etc etc while maintaining equivalent production to what Manny would provide. So, to recap, they lost two backups and Manny, retain Manny-esque production on the whole AND save money in the process.

In this order the winners are Boston, LA and Pittsburgh, if only because Pittsburgh could feasibly have gotten more just outright trading Bay to LA, and by this I mean one more real prospect over Moss or Hansen.