Settling for 2 of 3

Take 2 out of 3 the rest of the season...and the team is in the playoffs.

Also, I'm sure they didn't just concede the night just b/c they "knew" they could win tomorrow. They just couldn't get the W tonight. They got outplayed just like they outplayed the Phillies last night...and it happens.

If anything, the team is facing the Phillies ace tomorrow...so I'm pretty sure they didn't just lay back tonight, knowing they'd take 2 of 3 tomorrow.

Plus, sweeping on the road doesn't happen very often; especially when you're facing above average teams, on the road.

but my point is apparently they, according to johnson, think its ok to lose the second game of a series after winning the first. just as long as they win the third, which is not guaranteed. i am saying they should go in wanting to win the second THEN the third.

I'm pretty sure they do WANT TO WIN every game; then again, that's impossible, so generally...they are thinking 2 of 3, with the desire of winning 3.

They've swept teams this season, which just proves this whole thread wrong.

and when was the last time they swept some1. i believe it was the dbacks about a million years ago. this idea of winning just 2 of 3 started to really comeout not until recently

No player goes to the field with a mindset to lose a game. Period. There's really no other way to say it.

ok sir w/e you say

by the way on espn they were talking about how the rays THIS year expect to win every game meaning there was a time when the players did not expect to win, so yes players sometimes do go into a game expecting to lose

No, the Rays just have a better team than the Marlins, this year. That's the difference.

thats not my point. if you dont know what it is then forget it

The whole "the Rays are expecting to win everyday, and that's why they are winning" is BS.

The Rays win b/c they have a very good pitching staff (which for the most part, has been healthy all year), the best defensive team in MLB, and they finally have a respectable bullpen (which was the only reason they lost so many games last year, in the first place).

It's not b/c they "want to win more than other teams."

Yea I am sure the team is capable of winning 162 games every year. They just decide that 2 of 3 in each series is good enough. I think it is atrocious that they only try to win 2 of 3.. I mean sometimes they cannot come through on one of the games they are trying to win and end up losing the series.

ok...I was being sarcastic. But seriously the logic of some people around here continues to amaze me. If you think that ANY professional athelete is ok with losing even a single game then you have to get a clue. I am sure the team TRIES to win every game but sometimes they just lose. That is just how it is.

oooo my lord, again i have to repeat myself, i didnt say they are not trying to win every freakin game, i am saying that they think that losing the second game after winning the first is ok as long as they win the third. of course they are trying to win all three, including the second, that was not being questioned by this thread

Also, I'm sure they didn't just concede the night just b/c they "knew" they could win tomorrow. They just couldn't get the W tonight. They got outplayed just like they outplayed the Phillies last night...and it happens.

If anything, the team is facing the Phillies ace tomorrow...so I'm pretty sure they didn't just lay back tonight, knowing they'd take 2 of 3 tomorrow.

Plus, sweeping on the road doesn't happen very often; especially when you're facing above average teams, on the road.

but my point is apparently they, according to johnson, think its ok to lose the second game of a series after winning the first. just as long as they win the third, which is not guaranteed. i am saying they should go in wanting to win the second THEN the third.

I'm pretty sure they do WANT TO WIN every game; then again, that's impossible, so generally...they are thinking 2 of 3, with the desire of winning 3.

and when was the last time they swept some1. i believe it was the dbacks about a million years ago. this idea of winning just 2 of 3 started to really comeout not until recently

No player goes to the field with a mindset to lose a game. Period. There's really no other way to say it.

ok sir w/e you say

Seriously...you honestly think players go out and say "ah, lets lose this one...there's always tomorrow." (especially when tomorrow is when you face the ace of the team).

This is what I'm talking about on the gamethread when I said..."the other team rarely gets credit around here."

Bottom line is, we got outplayed tonight.

And the bottom line is, the team is NOT GREAT. It's an average / above average team that can compete and possibly make the playoffs...because they play in the National League.

I mean, did you really expect to go 6-0 on this road trip? That's extremely difficult...especially considering even the best teams are UNDER .500 on the road (aside from the Angels, who dominate on the road).

Erick... the ace of the Phillies staff has faced the Marlins 3 times this year he is (0-1) with 2 ND.

We can win it.

Never said we couldn't.

My point is, the team wouldn't be ok with losing the 2nd game on purpose, knowing they'd win 2 of 3, with Cole Hamels on the mound tomorrow. Regardless of his stats against the Marlins this year, he's still an ace, and the odds are with the Phillies.

The Marlins just lost tonight. Just like the Phillies lost yesterday.

...It's part of the game. You walk to the field with a 50% chance to win; sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

ok sir w/e you say

by the way on espn they were talking about how the rays THIS year expect to win every game meaning there was a time when the players did not expect to win, so yes players sometimes do go into a game expecting to lose

No, the Rays just have a better team than the Marlins, this year. That's the difference.

thats not my point. if you dont know what it is then forget it

The whole "the Rays are expecting to win everyday, and that's why they are winning" is BS.

The Rays win b/c they have a very good pitching staff (which for the most part, has been healthy all year), the best defensive team in MLB, and they finally have a respectable bullpen (which was the only reason they lost so many games last year, in the first place).

It's not b/c they "want to win more than other teams."

again not my point. what i was refuting was your idea that players walk onto the field always expecting to win. last year the rays walked into games expecting to lose, refuting your point, while this year they expect to win every game.

again not my point. what i was refuting was your idea that players walk onto the field always expecting to win. last year the rays walked into games expecting to lose, refuting your point, while this year they expect to win every game.

They expected to lose b/c they sucked.

This year they expect to win b/c they are good; they actually have a bullpen this year. Last year they had a blowpen. That's the difference.

They expected to lose b/c they sucked.

This year they expect to win b/c they are good; they actually have a bullpen this year. Last year they had a blowpen. That's the difference.

ok then PLayers do not ALWAYS expect to win as you said. they have to have a good team to have that mindset. but i never questioned whether the marlins thought they could win every game

Actually, a lot of winning is about mentality. You are not going to beat ANYONE if you don't think you can.

I really hate the attitude of "losing games is okay". I realize its impossible to win every game. But that doesn't mean you should say "OH WELL!!! WHO REALLY CARES!!! TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY!!!" Maybe its just the ultra competitive nature of me, but I would be bothered EVERY TIME I lost. If you settle for mediocrity than that is where you will end up.

ok sir w/e you say

Seriously...you honestly think players go out and say "ah, lets lose this one...there's always tomorrow." (especially when tomorrow is when you face the ace of the team).

This is what I'm talking about on the gamethread when I said..."the other team rarely gets credit around here."

Bottom line is, we got outplayed tonight.

And the bottom line is, the team is NOT GREAT. It's an average / above average team that can compete and possibly make the playoffs...because they play in the National League.

I mean, did you really expect to go 6-0 on this road trip? That's extremely difficult...especially considering even the best teams are UNDER .500 on the road (aside from the Angels, who dominate on the road).

Erick... the ace of the Phillies staff has faced the Marlins 3 times this year he is (0-1) with 2 ND.

We can win it.

Never said we couldn't.

My point is, the team wouldn't be ok with losing the 2nd game on purpose, knowing they'd win 2 of 3, with Cole Hamels on the mound tomorrow. Regardless of his stats against the Marlins this year, he's still an ace, and the odds are with the Phillies.

The Marlins just lost tonight. Just like the Phillies lost yesterday.

...It's part of the game. You walk to the field with a 50% chance to win; sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

Yea but we will win because I am a genius and I started the Game Thread.

You can heckle me here after the game if we lose.

:p

Actually, a lot of winning is about mentality. You are not going to beat ANYONE if you don't think you can.

I really hate the attitude of "losing games is okay". I realize its impossible to win every game. But that doesn't mean you should say "OH WELL!!! WHO REALLY CARES!!! TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY!!!" Maybe its just the ultra competitive nature of me, but I would be bothered EVERY TIME I lost. If you settle for mediocrity than that is where you will end up.

exactly but the problem is if you let every loss bother you its going to catch up with you throughout the season and eventually lead to your downfall. but what i seriously disagree with is the attitude of "if we lose tomorrow its ok cause we can still win the series the next day" although they might think they can win both games

If you don't say "OH WELL!!! TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY!!!" in baseball AFTER a loss, you'd probably go on a long losing streak. The game is played EVERY DAY.

If the Marlins would've let that 18-17 loss in Colorado affect them...we would be watching just b/c we are fans. Instead we're watching in hopes of a playoff berth.

That's why the players are professionals, and we are fans. They let go of things a lot easier. They have to.

God forbid we win 2 out of 3. For one thing sweeps are hard to come by for ANY team in baseball.

By the way: WE ARE ALL GUNNA DIE. THE MARLINS LOST TONIGHT AND NOW ITS THE END OF THE WORLD. WE WILL NEVER BE GOOD EVER AGAIN.

Now that I got my message across I would like to add one more thing. We have THREE more series against the Phillies before this season is over. CAN WE PLEASE CALM DOWN.

God forbid we win 2 out of 3. For one thing sweeps are hard to come by for ANY team in baseball.

By the way: WE ARE ALL GUNNA DIE. THE MARLINS LOST TONIGHT AND NOW ITS THE END OF THE WORLD. WE WILL NEVER BE GOOD EVER AGAIN.

Now that I got my message across I would like to add one more thing. We have THREE more series against the Phillies before this season is over. CAN WE PLEASE CALM DOWN.

:goodpost :jackson

Uh thank you

oye sarcastica i am not panicking, just making an observation which i no longer have to bolster cause i already argued enough

Uh thank you

No, seriously...posts like that are rare here, when we lose. So it was nice to read.

He didn't say that. I have no idea why some fans want to read between the lines and come up with totally different conclusions than what was meant.

Bah, how did I miss this thread?

But in closing, a team who wins 2 of 3 is 108-54.

Settling...Hah.

Let's add in...

If we can win 2 of 3 in this series, the Mets, and then the home stand coming up (Cards and Cubs) does anyone realize how that will leave up looking?? Pretty damn good.

BTW Thursday the 14th we have field passes for BP. So chalk that up as a win only because I said so.

This is one of those threads that the whole point of it got thrown way off the tracks...

This is NOT about the Marlins purposely going out and losing games...no one in their right mind would realistically believe that...

This is about the Marlins seemingly not having that greedy FIRE and INTENSITY to go out and sweep a series...I know we arent "likely" to sweep a road series but the Marlins do have the tools to sweep on the road and they seemingly just DON'T...and they seem to just have a ho-hum, "its ok" attitude about it...

Someone said it, our last sweep was against the D-Backs in May...

Yes, 2 of 3 is solid, but winning more than 2 in a row will be what gets us AHEAD of our rivals...and that's the problem...we are merely keeping pace instead of getting ahead...

And I don't see how anyone can disagree with that point...

This is one of those threads that the whole point of it got thrown way off the tracks...

This is NOT about the Marlins purposely going out and losing games...no one in their right mind would realistically believe that...

This is about the Marlins seemingly not having that greedy FIRE and INTENSITY to go out and sweep a series...I know we arent "likely" to sweep a road series but the Marlins do have the tools to sweep on the road and they seemingly just DON'T...and they seem to just have a ho-hum, "its ok" attitude about it...

Someone said it, our last sweep was against the D-Backs in May...

Yes, 2 of 3 is solid, but winning more than 2 in a row will be what gets us AHEAD of our rivals...and that's the problem...we are merely keeping pace instead of getting ahead...

And I don't see how anyone can disagree with that point...

they aren't doing it on purpose. last night was a tough game a lot of tough bounces and weird plays early on.

Like i said in another thread i dont have a problem not sweepin the phils or goood teams on the raod or even at home but whne we play garbage teams i would like to sweep.

And about the expecting to win thing i think all the players expect to win every game but they feel different levels of urgencey or pressure to win certain ones like to day is a must win to take the sereies so hopefully theri on top of their game. The thing is right now all theses games are huge. Also i think we may have been over confident going inot last nights game knwing we owned kendrick last time

This thread is ridiculous for 2 reasons.

The OP is making a bad point, no major league team settles.

That being said, its clear he's just reacting to frustration that we haven't had a sweep in a while, and there really doesn't need to be 46 replies all telling him the same thing, that he's wrong. I guess make that 47 now because I basically said the same thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.