hey, if I had a say I would have Andino start, but that is just me. I have been a big fan of Andino's since he came over. He is a huge upgrade defensively at 2nd and has shown he does not belong in the minors, he is a starter in my eyes.

hey, if I had a say I would have Andino start, but that is just me. I have been a big fan of Andino's since he came over. He is a huge upgrade defensively at 2nd and has shown he does not belong in the minors, he is a starter in my eyes.

He's not a huge upgrade defensively, mainly on account of the fact that

#1 - he's a SS, not a 2B

#2 - Uggla's not that bad defensively to begin with

And much more important, in the realm of things that actually are huge, Andino would be a huge offensive downgrade.

#1 - he's a SS, not a 2B

And much more important, in the realm of things that actually are huge, Andino would be a huge offensive downgrade.

#1 - he's a SS, not a 2B

Uggla has the tools to not be considered bad defensively, but all told he lacks basic fundamental baseball knowledge, as evidenced by last night's episode in the 9th which make him suspect. Personally, I'd retain Uggla for '09. Whether I'd place him at 2nd is another story. I like Andino as well and I don't think we've seen enough of him to really be able to judge him. Sporadic pinch hit opportunities and a few spot starts or defensive replacements don't provide enough evidence to prove either way about his talent. His K ratio was very high when he was up though which concerns me. Coghlan is a guy I'd like to see be the 2B next season. Whether he is ready defensively is another story. Offensively, as someone mentioned previously, he is a very solid contact hitter with what appears to be a great eye at the plate, but Hermida was the same way at Carolina so who knows. All I know is that I simply can't stand to watch anymore little league baseball from this club. I have full confidence that Beinfest feels that same way and thus the defensive problems will be rectified.

#1 - he's a SS, not a 2B

Uggla has the tools to not be considered bad defensively, but all told he lacks basic fundamental baseball knowledge, as evidenced by last night's episode in the 9th which make him suspect. Personally, I'd retain Uggla for '09. Whether I'd place him at 2nd is another story. I like Andino as well and I don't think we've seen enough of him to really be able to judge him. Sporadic pinch hit opportunities and a few spot starts or defensive replacements don't provide enough evidence to prove either way about his talent. His K ratio was very high when he was up though which concerns me. Coghlan is a guy I'd like to see be the 2B next season. Whether he is ready defensively is another story. Offensively, as someone mentioned previously, he is a very solid contact hitter with what appears to be a great eye at the plate, but Hermida was the same way at Carolina so who knows. All I know is that I simply can't stand to watch anymore little league baseball from this club. I have full confidence that Beinfest feels that same way and thus the defensive problems will be rectified.

#1 - he's a SS, not a 2B

I know he's made some dumb mistakes, but Danny has been pretty good defensively this year.

#1 - he's a SS, not a 2B

I know he's made some dumb mistakes, but Danny has been pretty good defensively this year.

#1 - he's a SS, not a 2B

Over the course of the whole season I would tend to agree with you. However, his mental lapses, which happen way too often in all phases of his game, are irresponsible and thus call into question his true ability. I get that he's a dangerous offensive weapon when he's right, but he doesn't make adjustments at the plate, he doesn't watch video of his at bats which would help him do the latter, and he traditionally makes the routine plays not the great play. I don't know, I just like watching smart fundamentally sound baseball. I don't care if a guy hits 30 bombs a year and drives in near 100 runs - if that same guy simply doesn't take the steps necessary to improve himself and his game I have no use for him. Uggla seems to be set in his ways. That's not ok with me.

#1 - he's a SS, not a 2B

Over the course of the whole season I would tend to agree with you. However, his mental lapses, which happen way too often in all phases of his game, are irresponsible and thus call into question his true ability. I get that he's a dangerous offensive weapon when he's right, but he doesn't make adjustments at the plate, he doesn't watch video of his at bats which would help him do the latter, and he traditionally makes the routine plays not the great play. I don't know, I just like watching smart fundamentally sound baseball. I don't care if a guy hits 30 bombs a year and drives in near 100 runs - if that same guy simply doesn't take the steps necessary to improve himself and his game I have no use for him. Uggla seems to be set in his ways. That's not ok with me.

ASG def. gave dan a worse rep defensively than he deserves. first half he was a deserved all-star, second half he definitely was not a top 3 marlin. If we can actually get all-star value for him, id say its a good time to trade him. I still think he is somewhat undervalued and I agree with other posters that we probably wouldnt get much for him, even though in arbitration he will likely command a salary more than we would like to pay, and maybe more than he is actaully worth.

to me, k-gregg, jacobs, maybe hermida, or even olsen are better pieces to move. I honestly belive that uggs is our best fielding infielder, save for prolly wes helms. Between his glove and Hanleys, ill take Uggla's mostly due to his overall attitude and approach. You can see he takes his defensive job more seriously and that doe go a long way, even if he makes a dumb play once in a while. He seldom looks as bad as 'Handles' can during his lesser moments.

ASG def. gave dan a worse rep defensively than he deserves. first half he was a deserved all-star, second half he definitely was not a top 3 marlin. If we can actually get all-star value for him, id say its a good time to trade him. I still think he is somewhat undervalued and I agree with other posters that we probably wouldnt get much for him, even though in arbitration he will likely command a salary more than we would like to pay, and maybe more than he is actaully worth.

to me, k-gregg, jacobs, maybe hermida, or even olsen are better pieces to move. I honestly belive that uggs is our best fielding infielder, save for prolly wes helms. Between his glove and Hanleys, ill take Uggla's mostly due to his overall attitude and approach. You can see he takes his defensive job more seriously and that doe go a long way, even if he makes a dumb play once in a while. He seldom looks as bad as 'Handles' can during his lesser moments.

uggla's our best defender besides cody and uggla has to do alot more at 2nd then just cath fly ball and thats not a knock on cody. I know everyone is hateing on uggla right now but where would we be with out his steller performanc ealier in the year, he carried this team with his bat and played great d. After last night i think he may be coming back around.

uggla's our best defender besides cody and uggla has to do alot more at 2nd then just cath fly ball and thats not a knock on cody. I know everyone is hateing on uggla right now but where would we be with out his steller performanc ealier in the year, he carried this team with his bat and played great d. After last night i think he may be coming back around.

To say that Uggla is our best defensive infielder is not saying anything. And to say that he is one of the top three or four 2nd basemen in the game is ridiculous. There are like 15 regular 2Bmen with a higher BA, 7 with more RBIs, 8 or nine with better OBP, and 3 who slug better. On top of that he leads all 2Bmen in strikeouts, is tied for 3rd in errors and ranks way down in fielding percentage and range factor. And as LordMagnus alluded to , it's downright embarrassing that he (and Jacobs) are going to hit over 30 HR and have fewer than 100 RBIs.

I don't hate Uggla. I just think that his value for what they will wind up paying him is low, as is Jacobs, so I would look very hard at moving him.

To say that Uggla is our best defensive infielder is not saying anything. And to say that he is one of the top three or four 2nd basemen in the game is ridiculous. There are like 15 regular 2Bmen with a higher BA, 7 with more RBIs, 8 or nine with better OBP, and 3 who slug better. On top of that he leads all 2Bmen in strikeouts, is tied for 3rd in errors and ranks way down in fielding percentage and range factor. And as LordMagnus alluded to , it's downright embarrassing that he (and Jacobs) are going to hit over 30 HR and have fewer than 100 RBIs.

I don't hate Uggla. I just think that his value for what they will wind up paying him is low, as is Jacobs, so I would look very hard at moving him.

Uggla hits .284/.417/.543 with men on base. Now tell me that's his fault.

People are hateing on him so much. He just seems like the scape goat right now and Chris C is gonna be awsome when he gets here so lets just ship uggla out of here.

People are hateing on him so much. He just seems like the scape goat right now and Chris C is gonna be awsome when he gets here so lets just ship uggla out of here.

They have fewer RBIs because our team as a whole has the 4th worst OBP in the NL. You can only drive in so many runs when you have that many chances. Sure, they've also both choked with runners on. But it ain't all that different, they K and hit HRs whether they have runners on or not.

Why is not then embarassing that Hanley will probably do the same, and not just because he's a leadoff hitter, but because he bats like 200 with RISP?

Uggla gets this reputation as some sort of choke artist, but they guy also has a 405 OBP with RISP even in the midst of this slump.

I guess though more to my point, you can pick out stats here and there, especially as his numbers are weighed down by over a month of slumping, but lets either compare it at the end of the season or look at his career numbers, and how many 2B have been putting up those numbers for the last 3 years? And even if you think it doesn't say much, he is the best defender amongst our starting IF. A better defender than Coghlan, and a way better hitter than any other in-house option at 2B. And if he's really so bad among 2B, then maybe he won't command so much money after all. But I still think there are reasons why he went to the all star game ahead of so many of those 2B with higher avgs and more RBIs and higher OBPs, and its not that Uggla plays is a big market with a lot of press.

PS. Uggla has the highest OBP with RISP on the entire team (not counting the recently added catchers). Is that really the player you want to dump off?

They have fewer RBIs because our team as a whole has the 4th worst OBP in the NL. You can only drive in so many runs when you have that many chances. Sure, they've also both choked with runners on. But it ain't all that different, they K and hit HRs whether they have runners on or not.

Why is not then embarassing that Hanley will probably do the same, and not just because he's a leadoff hitter, but because he bats like 200 with RISP?

Uggla gets this reputation as some sort of choke artist, but they guy also has a 405 OBP with RISP even in the midst of this slump.

I guess though more to my point, you can pick out stats here and there, especially as his numbers are weighed down by over a month of slumping, but lets either compare it at the end of the season or look at his career numbers, and how many 2B have been putting up those numbers for the last 3 years? And even if you think it doesn't say much, he is the best defender amongst our starting IF. A better defender than Coghlan, and a way better hitter than any other in-house option at 2B. And if he's really so bad among 2B, then maybe he won't command so much money after all. But I still think there are reasons why he went to the all star game ahead of so many of those 2B with higher avgs and more RBIs and higher OBPs, and its not that Uggla plays is a big market with a lot of press.

PS. Uggla has the highest OBP with RISP on the entire team (not counting the recently added catchers). Is that really the player you want to dump off?