Built for 2009?

Nice article Erick. Their were many points i agreed with and some that i had different opinions about.

I would love the pudge signing, Im fine with sanchez at first, and keeping Cantu at third. The one thing that puzzles me is you have said all year you want uggla gone and want to give coghlan a chance. Im just curious as to why you changed your mind. other than that, i agree with everything you said.

For the outfield, i also see maybin starting in CF and hermida starting in RF, but i dont see raynor starting in LF. He isnt very good defensively in LF and even though he's a good hitter, he strikes out way to much to be our lead off man. Chris coghlan can be our leadoff hitter while striking out much less. But i can see Raynor coming off the bench this year, and ready to take over in 2010.

Who can't agree with that starting rotation. They're easily top 5 in entire league.

Nick punto would be a SICK addition to this team. He's excellent defensively and can swing the bat. Plus, he's hitting .333 against lefties this year.

Mcpherson would be good off the bench to, but if we can upgrade there it wouldnt hurt. Maybe someone like Rich Aurilia. Again, im just throwing names out there. But he seems like a good fit for the marlins.

Overall, i loved the article. It gives marlins fans hope for the 2009 season and beyond. good work erick.

Great work.

Just one minor correction. Gaby was voted the best defensive 1st baseman in the Carolina league. (Just one more reason to love him and get Jake the hell out of here).

So he was MVP and the best defensive first baseman. DAMN SON, CALL HIM UP!

The one thing that puzzles me is you have said all year you want uggla gone and want to give coghlan a chance. Im just curious as to why you changed your mind. other than that, i agree with everything you said.

That's a good question, and I knew someone would ask.

I STILL believe Chris Coghlan is the long-term solution. With that said, he still has work to do, defensively. Over 20 errors is way too many. The last thing the Marlins can afford to do is downgrade defensively, at another position, right now.

The organization has to get back to the "pitching & defense wins championships" mentality.

I don't think Uggla is the long-term solution, but keeping him here in '09 won't hurt. If the team is out of contention by July 31st '09 they can still trade Uggla and get good value back.

It's basically the same with Gregg.

Those two are both tradeable in my opinion, but it has to be the right trade b/c both can still contribute to help the team next year.

If you let go of Jake...the one thing he does well is provide power. In my case, we'd also be inserting rookies in there, which you never TRULY KNOW what they can provide, offensively, in their rookie years. So...having Uggla's proven power in the lineup wouldn't hurt either.

Great work.

Just one minor correction. Gaby was voted the best defensive 1st baseman in the Carolina league. (Just one more reason to love him and get Jake the hell out of here).

That's pretty interesting to hear b/c I recall him being horrible (all be it, at 3B) at the U.

Considering he's most likely gotten bigger, I don't see how his range could have gotten any better.

Regardless, I didn't really check any facts for that part of the article, but you are right.

This is a good article on Gaby -------------> http://www.mlntherawfeed.com/minor-league-...8-southern.html

Great work.

That's pretty interesting to hear b/c I recall him being horrible (all be it, at 3B) at the U.

Considering he's most likely gotten bigger, I don't see how his range could have gotten any better.

Regardless, I didn't really check any facts for that part of the article, but you are right.

This is a good article on Gaby -------------> http://www.mlntherawfeed.com/minor-league-...8-southern.html

gomarlins9703 said that he was voted the best defensive 1B not 3B. and i can see why. his stats on D are very good.

The one thing that puzzles me is you have said all year you want uggla gone and want to give coghlan a chance. Im just curious as to why you changed your mind. other than that, i agree with everything you said.

I STILL believe Chris Coghlan is the long-term solution. With that said, he still has work to do, defensively. Over 20 errors is way too many. The last thing the Marlins can afford to do is downgrade defensively, at another position, right now.

The organization has to get back to the "pitching & defense wins championships" mentality.

I don't think Uggla is the long-term solution, but keeping him here in '09 won't hurt. If the team is out of contention by July 31st '09 they can still trade Uggla and get good value back.

Those two are both tradeable in my opinion, but it has to be the right trade b/c both can still contribute to help the team next year.

If you let go of Jake...the one thing he does well is provide power. In my case, we'd also be inserting rookies in there, which you never TRULY KNOW what they can provide, offensively, in their rookie years. So...having Uggla's proven power in the lineup wouldn't hurt either.

Ah, i knew that was the reason why. i just dont know about uggla and his hack at everything swing. If he can get a better swing over the offseason, id love to have him back.

Great work.

gomarlins9703 said that he was voted the best defensive 1B not 3B. and i can see why. his stats on D are very good.

Yeah, I know. He was right about the defensive award Gaby got; I was just unaware of it, before reading his post and that article I posted.

I didn't even assume that though b/c I remember when Gaby was at UM, he and Braun made for a horrible left side of the infield, defensively. But I guess he's better suited for 1B (which makes sense, since it's easier to play).

Ah, i knew that was the reason why. i just dont know about uggla and his hack at everything swing. If he can get a better swing over the offseason, id love to have him back.

Regarding that, I just think that's a problem if you have TOO MANY of those players. For example, Jacobs is another one, but in this scenario, he'd be gone.

You can have an all or nothing type hitter (a guy who swings for the fences)...you just need some balance.

This would be my lineup, for example:

1. John Raynor - LF

2. Gaby Sanchez - 1B

3. Hanley Ramirez - SS

4. Jorge Cantu - 3B

5. Dan Uggla - 2B

6. Cameron Maybin - CF

7. Jeremy Hermida - RF

8. Ivan Rodriguez - C

That would be a pretty solid lineup; a lineup with more balance than the one we have this year.

Erick, what do you thik about acquiring Rich aurilia? Thats assuming Mcpherson leaves and we need a 1B/3B next year.

I don't see why McPherson would leave (I believe he signed a multi-year deal). However, Aurilia is a solid role player, at this point in his career. He can still hit left-handed pitching, that's for sure.

Regarding that, I just think that's a problem if you have TOO MANY of those players. For example, Jacobs is another one, but in this scenario, he'd be gone.

You can have an all or nothing type hitter (a guy who swings for the fences)...you just need some balance.

This would be my lineup, for example:

1. John Raynor - LF

2. Gaby Sanchez - 1B

3. Hanley Ramirez - SS

4. Jorge Cantu - 3B

5. Dan Uggla - 2B

6. Cameron Maybin - CF

7. Jeremy Hermida - RF

8. Ivan Rodriguez - C

That would be a pretty solid lineup; a lineup with more balance than the one we have this year.

Thats a sexy lineup(no homo of course). But i would like it to be like this:

1.Chris Coghlan

2.Gaby shanchez

3.Hanram

4.Cantu

5.Dan Uggla

6.Ross

7.Maybin

8.Pudge

But what you said works perfectely to. For me, it all depends on who starts between Coghlan and uggla, Ross and Raynor.

We have quite an exciting 2009 season ahead of us.

Erick, what do you thik about acquiring Rich aurilia? Thats assuming Mcpherson leaves and we need a 1B/3B next year.

I don't see why McPherson would leave (I believe he signed a multi-year deal). However, Aurilia is a solid role player, at this point in his career. He can still hit left-handed pitching, that's for sure.

oh i didnt realize that. No biggy, im sure he can provide some good pop off the bench and be alright defensively.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Cody Ross. I would love to have him back...just not starting everyday.

As I said he'd be the PERFECT 4th outfielder. He provides power off the bench, and a good glove at all three outfield positions. He'd also fill in nicely, for example, if guys like Raynor, Maybin, or Hermida fail to perform (he's done so the past two years).

If we dont sign Pudge, what other catchers can we sign or trade for during the offseason?

Rod Barajas TOR

Henry Blanco * CHC

Johnny Estrada WAS

Toby Hall * CWS

Adam Melhuse TEX

Mike Redmond * MIN

Ivan Rodriguez NYY

David Ross BOS

Javier Valentin CIN

Jason Varitek BOS

Vance Wilson DET

Gregg Zaun * TOR

* have club options

We don't want any of that. What we want is for the team to obtain a young catcher in the off season through trading Olsen, Gregg, Jacobs, and Willingham.

The problem with this scenario and your editorial is how much money there is to spend. Let's do this methodically.

This is basically a lock.

C - Baker (400k)

1B - G. Sanchez (400k)

2B - X

SS - Hanley ($5.5mil)

3B - X

LF - X

CF - Maybin (400k)

RF - Hermida ($2-3mil)

Bench - Amezaga ($1.75), X, X, X, X

SP - Johnson ($1-2), Nolasco ($2-3), A. Miller ($1.5), Anibal ($500k), Volstad (400K)

RP - Lindstrom ($400k), Pinto ($400k), Kensing ($550k), Nelson ($550k), then pick 3 of Tank, Tucker, Cruz, Owens, Gardner, MilbFA ($1.2)

That is 18 players for approx. $18-21 million. How much is payroll going to be? 25? 30? 35?

Dan is going to cost $5+. Cody will be between $2-3. Cantu will be between $3-4. Gregg $3-5. Olsen $2-3. Willingham $2-3. Jacobs $3-4. Treanor $1-2. Mitre $1-2. Waecther $600-800k. You can't make an argument of how Gregg is useful to this team, where there are massive pressing issues in the field and a glut of pitchers throughout the organization. Same with Olsen and Mitre (who will probably have to be DFA'd for nothing). Then you chuck Jacobs out for Gaby, Treanor because they need to pinch an extra bill off payroll. And then it gets tricky with who do you keep.

I forsee Uggla, Cantu, and Cody staying, the team calling up McDallas, Raynor, obtaining a young catcher through trading off Olsen, Gregg, Jacobs, Willingham, Treanor, and Mitre (if those last two can even be traded and not straight up DFA's), and then filling the last spot on the bench with either Andino, Coghlan, or getting some cheap middle infielder through trade or free agency. This brings payroll to around $30-32, which sounds about right. I can't see there being cash for Gregg, and even more so Pudge who you mention. Punto is shockingly having a good year as well, which is pricing himself out of our range.

If they go lower, the easy cut is Uggla, bringing up Coghlan, and then making sure your 25th man can play 2B. But really, this is so hard to do at the moment. We can make an in house team no problem, but until the trades start and we see what we get back, can't really do much with roster orientation because who we get back is going to dictate who the next player traded is.

The main point of all of this is, we are in great shape this offseason. With so many options it doesn't matter who stays or goes. All that matters is we take the best deal for literally any of our players not named Hanley, and then we plug around that with our excellent organizational depth. We don't need to trade anyone. We're set. We're going to have to want to trade someone. Beinfest has all the power in the upcoming trade market, and that's going to pay huge dividends for us.

If we dont sign Pudge, what other catchers can we sign or trade for during the offseason?

Rod Barajas TOR

Henry Blanco * CHC

Johnny Estrada WAS

Toby Hall * CWS

Adam Melhuse TEX

Mike Redmond * MIN

Ivan Rodriguez NYY

David Ross BOS

Javier Valentin CIN

Jason Varitek BOS

Vance Wilson DET

Gregg Zaun * TOR

* have club options

We don't want any of that. What we want is for the team to obtain a young catcher in the off season through trading Olsen, Gregg, Jacobs, and Willingham.

How about trading for Yadier Molina?

Rod Barajas TOR

Henry Blanco * CHC

Johnny Estrada WAS

Toby Hall * CWS

Adam Melhuse TEX

Mike Redmond * MIN

Ivan Rodriguez NYY

David Ross BOS

Javier Valentin CIN

Jason Varitek BOS

Vance Wilson DET

Gregg Zaun * TOR

* have club options

pudge or yadi woul nice

question: why is it that it's so obvious were keeping hermida over willingham in 09? it can't be that he's better defensively - Willingham 22 assists and 11 errors, Hermida 11 assists and 22 errors. it can't be cuz he's better offensively - career line avg's Hermida 1238 ABs 344/440/267, Willingham 1347 ABs 362/470/267

reasons i can think of why hermida is the "obvious" keeper: younger (by 5 yrs), more potential, and he's less of an injury risk (although it has been Willingham getting 500+ ABs the past two seasons... however it looks like Hermida will crack the 500 AB mark this season)

I'd like to think the FO will shop both of them in the offseason, and keep the one that nets us less in a trade. and for the reasons we would keep hermida, could be superficial enough to net us greater value in a trade versus trading willingham. because as I think is pretty clear, Willingham has played better than Hermida since they've been here, and I don't think that would change in 09.

although i do think hermida has the potential to develop into a good everyday player, i honestly don't think he'll ever do it batting at DS for half the seasons games... his career home/away splits are noticably skewed: home 605 ABs 322/408/250 vs away 633 ABs 364/471/284. so, maybe we do us and hermida a favor by trading him away from DS and allow him to flourish into a great hitter.

Now unless Raynor or Maybin can't play right field.... f*ck everything I just said and keep Hermida. Cuz Willingham can't cover the ground in right field... but does a great job in our abbreviated left field.

Can someone please tell me why Hermida is a lock in RF next yr?

Rod Barajas TOR

Henry Blanco * CHC

Johnny Estrada WAS

Toby Hall * CWS

Adam Melhuse TEX

Mike Redmond * MIN

Ivan Rodriguez NYY

David Ross BOS

Javier Valentin CIN

Jason Varitek BOS

Vance Wilson DET

Gregg Zaun * TOR

* have club options

That would be great, but the Cards gave him a four-year extension for a reason. They want to keep him.

Im fine with Baker.

question: why is it that it's so obvious were keeping hermida over willingham in 09? it can't be that he's better defensively - Willingham 22 assists and 11 errors, Hermida 11 assists and 22 errors. it can't be cuz he's better offensively - career line avg's Hermida 1238 ABs 344/440/267, Willingham 1347 ABs 362/470/267

reasons i can think of why hermida is the "obvious" keeper: younger (by 5 yrs), more potential, and he's less of an injury risk (although it has been Willingham getting 500+ ABs the past two seasons... however it looks like Hermida will crack the 500 AB mark this season)

I'd like to think the FO will shop both of them in the offseason, and keep the one that nets us less in a trade. and for the reasons we would keep hermida, could be superficial enough to net us greater value in a trade versus trading willingham. because as I think is pretty clear, Willingham has played better than Hermida since they've been here, and I don't think that would change in 09.

although i do think hermida has the potential to develop into a good everyday player, i honestly don't think he'll ever do it batting at DS for half the seasons games... his career home/away splits are noticably skewed: home 605 ABs 322/408/250 vs away 633 ABs 364/471/284. so, maybe we do us and hermida a favor by trading him away from DS and allow him to flourish into a great hitter.

Now unless Raynor or Maybin can't play right field.... f*ck everything I just said and keep Hermida. Cuz Willingham can't cover the ground in right field... but does a great job in our abbreviated left field.

Can someone please tell me why Hermida is a lock in RF next yr?

We are keeping Hermida over Hammer because:

reasons i can think of why hermida is the "obvious" keeper: younger (by 5 yrs), more potential, and he's less of an injury risk

And you need to remember that it is much easier to player LF than RF.