MLB 09 The Show

hanleythefranchise12

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It?s probably best to get this out of the way from the outset: I am not a sports guy and if I were, baseball would still rank pretty low among my interests. This is important because I?m about to fill you readers in on preview time spent with Sony?s PlayStation 3-exclusive baseball sim MLB 09: The Show. And while it?s not going to change the opinions of those who prefer other sports or no sports at all, the 2009 edition of The Show looks as though it will offer a deeper, more fulfilling simulation than ever before, with the added benefit of amped up visuals and player-tailored features.

I remember walking out of a demo of MLB 08 around this time last year feeling unimpressed by what I?d seen. Simulation aside, the character models looked decidedly last-gen, the stadiums were light on detail and the whole package felt more like a PS2.5 release than something worthy of the PS3?s powerful hardware. The game ended up pleasing the critics, but my untrained eye remained unimpressed.

This year ? forgive the punny clich? ? was a whole new ballgame. Not only are there apparently loads of new animations to supplement last year?s loads, but all of the virtual players now move with the fluid grace of a trained professional. Minor, inconsequential movements, such as preparatory mini-kicks to the dirt or a gently swaying bat-at-the-ready, look natural and add an immense amount of lifelike character to what you?re seeing onscreen.

That?s not to say the screen is bursting with photorealism. You won?t see individual blades of grass (or is it Astroturf now?) or clouds of dust kicked up with every step taken in the runner?s lanes. But the level of visual detail seems considerably improved for next year?s offering over MLB 08. The Sony reps even informed us that the fans who gather for each game ? speaking of, our demo unfolded at the Mets? new Citi Field ? will dress according to the surrounding weather conditions.

There are other new elements to MLB 09?s presentation as well. Transitional lighting effects will give the impression of time passing, as natural light moves from day to dusk and dusk to night during afternoon and evening games. What?s more, gamers will be able to use a built-in music editor(?!) to cut up and edit walk-up music and the like. A voice recorder even allows for user-created crowd yells. Just don?t expect the Sony Cops to enable the sharing of potentially AO-rated chants online. That?s probably for the best.

There are feature additions as well, but this is where my lack of interest in the sport begins to have repercussions. Salary arbitration, trade rights and 40-man rosters will all now factor into the game?s team management-focused decisions. The created player-focused ?Road to the Show Mode? will also now offer a full practice mode in which players can improve their stats (or hurt them, if things go sour). And finally, expect to see more crowd interactions, team mascots, field wear as each game progresses and ? of course ? Trophy support.

Baseball may not be my forte, but I recognize quality in a video game when I see it. MLB 09 exudes it, at least in its general presentation. How the simulation stacks up against past efforts will take many hours and the attentions of gamers with far more enthusiasm for the sport than I possess. That said, our demo time gave the impression of a polished, immersive experience designed to please the most ardent fans of America?s pastime.

Link

ant wait til 2012 when EA is allowed to make MVP or any MLB game again.

Hopefully they start again where they left of with MVP 05

The best part is it will be on 360 PS3 PC and WII

I loved the MVP series. I miss it so much.....

x2

Im plauyin MVP 05 right now and its 4:25 in the morning lol

4:26

ant wait til 2012 when EA is allowed to make MVP or any MLB game again.

Hopefully they start again where they left of with MVP 05

The best part is it will be on 360 PS3 PC and WII

I loved the MVP series. I miss it so much.....

x2

Im plauyin MVP 05 right now and its 4:25 in the morning lol

4:26

:lol

yea it was pretty late or early however you wanna think about it

i had a pretty sick Owner mode i just made

On the Indians i had

Hnaley(71) - Prospect but hes getting better

Utley(73)- Also a prospect

Victor Martinez(78) Gonna be a stud

Hafner(87) Stud Power

Pena-(76)- 4 Star Potential but has good power and kills rhp

Cantu (71)- He was cheap and has 4 star potential i wanted to try it hes gotten up from a 65 to a 71

Juan Gonzalez(77)- Old thinking about trading but he still gets it done

Blake(77) Good Hitter can play all around the field for less money

Crisp(78)- Coco i a great CF fast can get aon base and can play the field pretty good

Bench

Bard(69) - Already on the team but hes a sh catcher with good potential

Brandon Phillips(70)- We all know how could he can be but w/e 4 star potential and is fast as hell

Amezaga(67) Fast has good contact and can play all around the field

Gerut(67) - W/E just filling the spot

Rotation

C.C.

Prior

Lee

J Westbrook

J Davis

Bulpen (Cant remember everyone but here are some main ones)

Closer Nathan( gave my closer another releiver and a prospect for em) so worth it

Turnbow

Mike Gonzalez

Rhodes

MILB Prospects

Sizemore - 5 star potential

Carmona - 4 star potential

I have never fottn a chance to play the show I got a wii and 360 so no show. 2k is alrght but I love online play and you have to guess before the pitch is thrown if it's gonna be off speed or not and a strike it sucks. But I still kick ass.

Maybe I'll buy a ps3 idk could use a blue ray player that does other stuff.

I have never fottn a chance to play the show I got a wii and 360 so no show. 2k is alrght but I love online play and you have to guess before the pitch is thrown if it's gonna be off speed or not and a strike it sucks. But I still kick ass.

Maybe I'll buy a ps3 idk could use a blue ray player that does other stuff.

nice you play 2k8 online gimmie your Gamertag i'll play you one day