Out of Albuquerque - AAA Now in New Orleans

Albuquerque is a little bit out of the way compared to where all of the other Marlins minor league affiliates are located (East Coast of the U.S.) Not that Las Vegas would change that...but it would be nice if we could at least get it east of the Mississippi.

Either way it doesn't matter, as we dont use AAA as a development level. It is where we send our scraps.

This is true.

It's true only because it is Albuquerque though. I don't think it would be that way if our Triple-A affiliate was playing in a normal baseball environment.

Either way it doesn't matter, as we dont use AAA as a development level. It is where we send our scraps.

This is true.

It's true only because it is Albuquerque though. I don't think it would be that way if our Triple-A affiliate was playing in a normal baseball environment.

Aside from a few organizations, AAA as a development level has become almost non-existent. High A and AA are where teams decide on a player more often than not.

This is true.

Aside from a few organizations, AAA as a development level has become almost non-existent. High A and AA are where teams decide on a player more often than not.

I'm just going by the AAA teams that have made the playoffs, so obviously this could be just a HUGE coincidence, but...

Durham, Louisville, Oklahoma, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pawtucket, Iowa and Sacramento all have prominent upper-tier prospects on their squads.

Salt Lake only had Nick Adenhart (a very good pitching prospect) but I figured it wasn't fair to add them in the mix.

Needless to say, it's more about the Marlins not trusting Albuquerque (and rightfully so) than every other team stacking their AA teams.

plus the marlins had to put Gaby Hernandez and Dallas Trahern there this year, simply because they had nowhere else to send them with the AA rotation.

they are by no means omg prospects but I wouldn't call them scraps either.

listen, Albuquerque is a great franchise, and a great town, but it was obvious to me that they don't want the Marlins.

The isotopes outdrew any previous Albuquerque team this year, however from my expirence, there was 1 person with a Marlins hat on at the stadium when I went. Count 'em 1. Compare that to numerous Dodgers caps. The only mention of the Marlins was a map with the affiliates on the wall. It is clear to me that the city wants LA, and that is a shame to me. Albuquerque is one of the greatest cities I have ever been to, I have family there, and it's great to have the Isotopes. They will be MY AAA team regardless of affiliation, but they don't want the Marlins, and if that means the Marlins looking elsewhere, then so be it.

I would love to see the Marlins and my New Orleans Zephyrs pair up. Its pretty much a lock that the Mets arent going to renew with us. (GOOD RIDDANCE) New Orleans has a great org. with a pretty solid fan base, and a great stadium. We have 2 AAA World Series Titles (one a co-title after 9-11) and played in the PCL Championship in 2007. None of this matters as far as development, I just like to brag on the Z's actually. The New Orleans Zephyrs are the only professional team to ever win a title in New Orleans. I can only hope that Florida will pair up with the Zephyrs so I can have my 2 favorite baseball teams interlocked.

Zephyr Field "The Shrine on Airline"

LETS GO TO VEGAS

when i get Hitched i wanna go to a game lol

but im not sure but we need to go somewhere where baseball is popular there richmond which is gonna be open which was great for the braves theres no cnhance we can use dodger town and i think LA takes albequerque so Vegas looks like our best bet

listen, Albuquerque is a great franchise, and a great town, but it was obvious to me that they don't want the Marlins.

The isotopes outdrew any previous Albuquerque team this year, however from my expirence, there was 1 person with a Marlins hat on at the stadium when I went. Count 'em 1. Compare that to numerous Dodgers caps. The only mention of the Marlins was a map with the affiliates on the wall. It is clear to me that the city wants LA, and that is a shame to me. Albuquerque is one of the greatest cities I have ever been to, I have family there, and it's great to have the Isotopes. They will be MY AAA team regardless of affiliation, but they don't want the Marlins, and if that means the Marlins looking elsewhere, then so be it.

I don't see why the Topes' fans should be Marlins fans. Really, how many of the Fort Myers Miracle fans are Twins fans?

From Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal

Class AAA teams prep for affiliation changes

By ERIC FISHER

Staff writer

Another wave of major change awaits Minor League Baseball with the onset of the biennial reaffiliation period and perhaps a half-dozen Class AAA teams poised to change major league partners.

The last reaffiliation cycle, in 2006, involved five Class AAA teams and 26 clubs overall. The new cycle likely will bring a similar amount of switching. At the minors? upper-most level, the most-talked-about scenario involves the Cleveland Indians parting ways with longtime partner Buffalo to align with Columbus, with a new downtown ballpark set for completion in 2009 for the Clippers.

If Columbus aligns with Cleveland, it could set off a chain reaction.That move, should it happen, would set off a chain reaction that could see Buffalo link with Toronto, and the Blue Jays? current Class AAA partner in Syracuse, N.Y., sign with the New York Mets. That scenario could prompt the Washington Nationals, currently affiliated with Columbus, to go back to New Orleans, where they were in 2005 and 2006. Class AAA markets in Memphis (currently a St. Louis Cardinals affiliate) and Omaha, Neb., (Kansas City Royals) could also become part of the affiliation dance, according to multiple major and minor league baseball sources.

No club is yet allowed to speak publicly about their intentions. The process is a tightly regulated one that begins after minor league seasons conclude in early September, and ends no later than Oct. 7. Behind the scenes, though, planning in many markets has been under way for months, and some clubs, such as Columbus, have more generally announced their plans to seek a different situation.

?For years and years, the [Class AAA] ranks didn?t change. There was a lot of stability there,? said Pat O?Conner, Minor League Baseball president. ?In the last couple of cycles, we?ve seen a lot more upheaval, and I think it?s going to take one more cycle to sort itself out.?

In recent years, many major league clubs have placed greater importance on their minor league affiliates for both business and baseball-oriented reasons. As a result, teams have aggressively sought out tighter geographic clusters for their farm clubs to promote regional marketing, lessen travel costs and promote easier monitoring of minor league operations.

Such a mind-set is in full flight in Gwinnett County, Ga., where the Atlanta Braves are building a new ballpark for their club-owned Class AAA affiliate that will open next season just 37 miles from Turner Field. In January, the Braves announced plans to move the minor league club from Richmond, Va., after 43 years to the suburban Atlanta locale.

O?Conner said he is currently talking with a handful of Class AA, Class A and Rookie-level clubs about relocating to Richmond.

?This is an incredibly complex process,? he said. ?In any of those situations, you?re talking about new alignments, new travel schedules and the like. It?s like putting together a puzzle.?

The reaffiliation process will also expose once more the relatively difficult situation facing the New Orleans Zephyrs. The club has ably rebounded from Hurricane Katrina in 2005, but it sits geographically at the edge of the Western-oriented Pacific Coast League, making it a less popular target among MLB clubs. A sometimes-discussed switch to the Eastern-leaning International League would likely do little to remedy the situation. As a result, the Zephyrs have been partnered with four different major league teams since their arrival in 1993 from Denver.

?Any label that New Orleans is not a good market is just not accurate,? O?Conner said. ?But it?s a victim of its geography. It?s really on the fringes of both leagues, and on the map, not a good fit on either side.?

Remembering my college pitching days, it is BRUTAL pitching in that light air. I love Alb. & the stadium is second to none but if you are trying to build confidence in a pitching prospect before you bring him up to the bigs, Alb. ain't the place to do it.

I remember a few years ago the Lobo's (Univ. of NM) didn't have a starting pitcher with an ERA below 5.50. It changes the way you pitch and throwing in that light/dry air is absolutely nothing like throwing in humd/sea-level air. Your curve don't curve in Alb. so how is a prospect supposed to work on it? Throw it and you get lit up? Slider guys not affected as much.

Move to New Orleans IMO.

Remembering my college pitching days, it is BRUTAL pitching in that light air. I love Alb. & the stadium is second to none but if you are trying to build confidence in a pitching prospect before you bring him up to the bigs, Alb. ain't the place to do it.

I remember a few years ago the Lobo's (Univ. of NM) didn't have a starting pitcher with an ERA below 5.50. It changes the way you pitch and throwing in that light/dry air is absolutely nothing like throwing in humd/sea-level air. Your curve don't curve in Alb. so how is a prospect supposed to work on it? Throw it and you get lit up? Slider guys not affected as much.

Move to New Orleans IMO.

Even if they did move to NO, they would still have to put up with being in the PCL.