McCain Suspends His Campaign (for now)

FreshFish

WOW. developing.......on all news networks

CNN Web Page

McCain says he is suspending campaign, will focus on economy

Republican presidential candidate John McCain announced today he is suspending his campaign to return to Washington and focus on the crisis facing the U.S. economy. He challenged Democratic rival Barack Obama to do the same. McCain also requested that Friday's presidential debate be postponed.

Don't think this is because he's got such a great heart. It's a campaign tactic. He's trying to even up the polls on the economy. He's getting slaughtered right now.

Yeah, desperation move by McCain. Latest polls have him down 9 points, and experts are saying it is because of the economy

You can call it a gimmick but it is brilliant.

If Obama accepts McCain's overture to come back to Washington, it makes Obama look weak. If Obama doesn't accept it, McCain will use Obama's overt "political ambition"..."he would rather campaign than solve this problem" as a campaign ad

Don't think this is because he's got such a great heart. It's a campaign tactic. He's trying to even up the polls on the economy. He's getting slaughtered right now.

Yeah, desperation move by McCain. Latest polls have him down 9 points, and experts are saying it is because of the economy

One poll has him down 9 points and Obama's camp actually discredited this poll because it has been so inconsistent and from week to week it swings about 15-20 points. He has an average lead of still 3.5 or so points. A political move most likely, but this is politics, no?

One poll has him down 9 points and Obama's camp actually discredited this poll because it has been so inconsistent and from week to week it swings about 15-20 points. He has an average lead of still 3.5 or so points. A political move most likely, but this is politics, no?

Oh, incredibly smart campaign move. Politically, it's good for McCain.

Btw, there are a couple of other polls that show a relatively similar margin - there are a few at around 6.

The gold standard in polling is the NBC News/WSJ Poll, which is coming out tonight. I'd trust whatever that poll shows.

Btw, there are a couple of other polls that show a relatively similar margin - there are a few at around 6.

The gold standard in polling is the NBC News/WSJ Poll, which is coming out tonight. I'd trust whatever that poll shows.

Interested in the results as well..Why do you think it is the gold std?

Interested in the results as well..Why do you think it is the gold std?

One of their employees, Chuck Todd is his name, I think, calls their poll the gold standard. It doesn't make it so. I don;t think he would say their poll stinks.

He does, but it is well known among pollsters that their polling is absolutely outstanding. Over the years they have earned one of the best if not the best ratings.

The ABC News poll is all over the place, and so is the Gallup/USA Today poll. Quinnipiac, Rasmussen and Mason Dixon are outstanding. There are a few pollsters that focus on state polling and they're very good at them. Selzer & Co. is very good in the midwest (called Iowa perfectly), Survey USA is very good in the Northeast and West (not that great in the midwest and south for some reason), and Public Policy Polling is pretty good everywhere. There are a few that suck, like ARG, Zogby, and Marist.

I'd like to believe the ABC News poll is right, but I doubt it. I think the lead is more like 49-44.

This is a good political move but is also the right thing to do. Some kind of bailout is needed ASAP and without GOP support it's not going to happen as the Democrats are playing politics with it (Country 2nd). This morning only 4 house Republicans supported the bailout and Reid has said without Republican support they wont pass it.

It needs to be done right, not ASAP. If it is done ASAP and wrong then it will become an even bigger disaster.

This is a good political move but is also the right thing to do. Some kind of bailout is needed ASAP and without GOP support it's not going to happen as the Democrats are playing politics with it (Country 2nd). This morning only 4 house Republicans supported the bailout and Reid has said without Republican support they wont pass it.

I agree that it's a good political move, but I don't think it is the right thing to do. (Is anything ever the right thing to do in politics? lol)

There are plenty of people who can take care of the economy, they don't need McCains help. It's quite obvious that he's using it to get votes...

He wants people to say "Hey, look at this John McCain guy. He cares so much about the economy that he's willing to halt his entire campaign just to focus his attention on it".

It seems to me like McCain really doesn't want to have a big debate when he's in such a bad situation with the economy. I wouldn't blame him either.

Bush is speaking tonight, most likely because he sees that Congress isn't interested in giving him what he wants this time, in the form of a big fat check for $700 BILLION with no strings attached. I don't think it's going to pass in current form.

I agree that it's a good political move, but I don't think it is the right thing to do. (Is anything ever the right thing to do in politics? lol)

There are plenty of people who can take care of the economy, they don't need McCains help. It's quite obvious that he's using it to get votes...

He wants people to say "Hey, look at this John McCain guy. He cares so much about the economy that he's willing to halt his entire campaign just to focus his attention on it".

It looks to me like McCain and Obama are not having any input in what the package will be. I think they should. For that to happen, they need to be there.