McCain Suspends His Campaign (for now)

FreshFish

Latest polls:

Gallup daily tracking - 46 to 46

NBC/WSJ of 20 hours ago - 48 to 46 (Obama)

I have serious doubts on these polls.............but apparently the move is paying dividends for McCain at least on the short term..I still believe this could harm McCain

A few other tracking polls show improvements for Obama. And the state level polling is absolutely in Obama's favor. A few polls show him up comfortably in CO (normally a red state). He's increasing his lead in PA and MI. VA is leaning Obama. And even NC appears to be going for Obama (according to several polls, most notably a reliable (yet somewhat Republican leaning) Rasmussen.

Also, the NBC/WSJ poll was conducted prior to this stunt, so it does not reflect the effects of this move.

what's odd is this Friday is the foreign policy debate, you'd figure he'd be chomping at the bit for it.

This smells more like "see Obama's more concerned about winning the election than he is about the economy!"

You certainly don't need to suspend your campaign for it. Want to go to Washington? Fine, cancel a campaign stop and a fundraiser, big deal. Or organize a meeting with some economic advisors the way Obama did with Buffett, Volker, etc. Palin can go campaign for you. Seems like a stunt.

What would be more interesting is McCain is setting up a scenario in which he would ultimately vote against the bill, rally conservatives to his side distance himself from Bush & Congress before the election.

I haven't had time to follow this story but it certainly is comforting to know that McCain and his endless economic intellect are working toward this problem.

I guess "Fire the head of the SEC!" didn't go over too well...

Latest polls:

Gallup daily tracking - 46 to 46

NBC/WSJ of 20 hours ago - 48 to 46 (Obama)

I have serious doubts on these polls.............but apparently the move is paying dividends for McCain at least on the short term..I still believe this could harm McCain

A few other tracking polls show improvements for Obama. And the state level polling is absolutely in Obama's favor. A few polls show him up comfortably in CO (normally a red state). He's increasing his lead in PA and MI. VA is leaning Obama. And even NC appears to be going for Obama (according to several polls, most notably a reliable (yet somewhat Republican leaning) Rasmussen.

Also, the NBC/WSJ poll was conducted prior to this stunt, so it does not reflect the effects of this move.

There is also a delay effect in the tracking polls, isn't there? Rasmussen has Obama going up 3 also.

I'm liking a lot from what I see of the state polls right now. Colorado is not looking good for McCain and Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin seem to be coming home for Obama.

reports from Barnie Franks --- > McCain opposing the Paulson plan ........... Wow... it is going to be a crazy afternoon

The house Republicans are not on board and Pelosi wont pass her own bill unless the Republicans get behind it. Politics first for Pelosi. Great leadership.

And it's not politics first for Republicans? lol You're such a hack.

reports from Barnie Franks --- > McCain opposing the Paulson plan ........... Wow... it is going to be a crazy afternoon

The house Republicans are not on board and Pelosi wont pass her own bill unless the Republicans get behind it. Politics first for Pelosi. Great leadership.

And it's not politics first for Republicans? lol You're such a hack.

The House Republicans oppose it on principle. The Democrats support it but wont vote on it for the obvious reasons.

I'm afraid of a McCain stock market crash tomorrow...I'm worried

What do you mean?

there was no deal reached on the WH, basically no close deal or in principle deal...depending on the talk tonight, the market may sell off hard tomorrow

There is a possibility that McCain may get some of the blame for injecting himself into this

I am at work, so if there is a press conference etc I am not able to hear it but everything I have read suggests that the bailout is going to be passed . Is there now something going on that suggest it isnt? The more I hear about the bailout the less likely I think it will work , it seems like a short term stop gap after a few months we will still have a weak economy and probably will for a prolonged peroid of time

I am at work, so if there is a press conference etc I am not able to hear it but everything I have read suggests that the bailout is going to be passed . Is there now something going on that suggest it isnt? The more I hear about the bailout the less likely I think it will work , it seems like a short term stop gap after a few months we will still have a weak economy and probably will for a prolonged peroid of time

from the talk out of the WH, apparently the Republicans from Cong and Senate are not on board with the plan. And is not over minor details

from the talk out of the WH, apparently the Republicans from Cong and Senate are not on board with the plan. And is not over minor details

thanks for the info

thanks for the info

Here is Shelby after the meeting:

http://www.necn.com/Boston/Business/Sen-Sh...1222377221.html

What do you mean?

there was no deal reached on the WH, basically no close deal or in principle deal...depending on the talk tonight, the market may sell off hard tomorrow

There is a possibility that McCain may get some of the blame for injecting himself into this

btw, I'm not worried about McCain...I'm worried about myself and my family...This economic situation has put the election on the back buner

What do you mean?

btw, I'm not worried about McCain...I'm worried about myself and my family...This economic situation has put the election on the back buner

I know. I feel the same way. I am a finance attorney. Many of our deals are failing to price. We only get paid if the deal goes through. If I said I am worried it would be an understatement. I'm terrified.

These guys have been running wild out of control lining their pockets with money all along, screwing the little guy in the process, and when the house of cards falls they run to Washington to foot the bill. It's a total sham, unfortunately it is unavoidable now, Government has to step in! They should have stepped in long ago and controlled those banking whores long before it cost us and our children monies. What do we have to give up to bail out these clowns in the finance industry? I hate republican administrations and their corporate welfare while those who have real needs are chastised and forgotten. Whats next food stamps for millionaires?