Rab's Top 10 Marlins Pitching Performances of 2008

Rabbethan

10) 6/27 - Ricky Nolasco vs Arizona - 8 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K

9) 9/16 - Chris Volstad vs Houston - 8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K

8) 5/22 - Andrew Miller vs Arizona 7 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K

7) 7/7 - Ricky Nolasco vs San Diego - 8 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K

6) 5/10 - Andrew Miller vs Washington - 7 IP, 2H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K

5) 7/11 - Chris Volstad vs Los Angeles - 8.2 IP, 5H, 1ER, 1 BB, 6 K - First Major League start

4) 8/2 - Ricky Nolasco vs Colorado - 8IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 13 K

3) 5/6 - Scott Olsen vs Milwalkee - 8.2 IP, 2H, 0 ER, 4 BB, 8K

2) 8/27 - Josh Johnson vs Atlanta - 9 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 8K - Complete Game

1) 8/19 - Ricky Nolasco vs San Francisco - 9 IP, 2H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 K - First Marlins CG in 301 games

Tomorrow: Top 10 Home Runs of 2008.

Incase anyone was wondering how I came up with this list, I used a metric that Bill James came up with, Game Score, to guide me. Now, I didn't do it letter for letter with what Game Score said but it did help me quite a bit.

And Sirspud, I almost forced Ricky's game in TB on there, but I left it off because he was already on the list 4 times. Also, he put a bit too many base runners on and threw a bit too many pitchies in that one and would been the 2nd game with more than 3 runs allowed on the list.

Watching these videos i realized how dominate Ricky Nolasco was, how dominate Andrew Miller can be, and how boring but dominate chris volstad is. Our pitching is gonna be crazy good next year.

Volstad "boring"???? He kept me on the edge of my seat. Putting RISP more often than not and then pitching out of those jams. He constantly showed poise and self confidence in those situations. If/when he can channel that into every pitch on every AB, he will be a good one. Until then he remains just one pitch away from a big inning for the other team. I think he gets it together. But if he continues like this and after other teams have seen him a couple times, alot of the current Chris fans will be saying he sucks, always has sucked, always will suck, and they knew it all along. While they scramble to get him off their fantasy teams.

Sound familiar??

Watching these videos i realized how dominate Ricky Nolasco was, how dominate Andrew Miller can be, and how boring but dominate chris volstad is. Our pitching is gonna be crazy good next year.

Volstad "boring"???? He kept me on the edge of my seat. Putting RISP more often than not and then pitching out of those jams. He constantly showed poise and self confidence in those situations. If/when he can channel that into every pitch on every AB, he will be a good one. Until then he remains just one pitch away from a big inning for the other team. I think he gets it together. But if he continues like this and after other teams have seen him a couple times, alot of the current Chris fans will be saying he sucks, always has sucked, always will suck, and they knew it all along. While they scramble to get him off their fantasy teams.

Sound familiar??

IN the VIDEO, he was BORING! Slow groundouts, pop-ups, etc etc. Look at Nolasco's videos. Struck out so many batters it was crazy. Thats entertainmant to me. When a pitcher has the ability to strike out so many batters.

And no, this doesnt sound familiar. What are you talking about?

I really wonder if Miller just got lucky against ARI and WAS with his location, Hes out there going " wow the balls going were matt sets up holy crap". But jeez he can be dominat kinda reminds me of CC. I really hope he can learn control.

I loved watching Rickys CG and JJ's along with the 13 k's ricky had vs COL. As odd as this sounds the pitcher i always have confidence to get out of jams is volstad, i always think he will get out of it, not so much with jj and ricky. Guess its because he never really get the ball hit hard off him ro gives up bombs.

Sound familiar??

IN the VIDEO, he was BORING! Slow groundouts, pop-ups, etc etc. Look at Nolasco's videos. Struck out so many batters it was crazy. Thats entertainmant to me. When a pitcher has the ability to strike out so many batters.

I'll take a ground out pitcher any day over a strike out pitcher. Throw less pitches you will have the opportunity of going deeper into games and less a chance of injuries. As long as the defense is there. Nothing against Ricky, he did a fine job.

Not surprised the last scenario didn't sound familiar to you. You missed the entire point on the first part.

Sound familiar??

I'll take a ground out pitcher any day over a strike out pitcher. Throw less pitches you will have the opportunity of going deeper into games and less a chance of injuries. As long as the defense is there. Nothing against Ricky, he did a fine job.

Not surprised the last scenario didn't sound familiar to you. You missed the entire point on the first part.

See, your not undertstanding. Did i say that Volstad is a bad pitcher anywhere in that post? No, Im just saying he is a boring pitcher because he is a ground ball pitcher. And Nolasco is a more exciting pitcher because he is a strikeout pitcher. I still think Volstad is a future ace, but to me he is a boring pitcher

Sound familiar??

See, your not undertstanding. Did i say that Volstad is a bad pitcher anywhere in that post? No, Im just saying he is a boring pitcher because he is a ground ball pitcher. And Nolasco is a more exciting pitcher because he is a strikeout pitcher. I still think Volstad is a future ace, but to me he is a boring pitcher

No I didn't misunderstand. Strikeout pitchers are far better for those fantasy teams. But for real life?? Give me a ground ball pitcher every time. "You don't need to strike everybody out. Strike outs are boring and no fun." Paraphrasing there.

And I'm not touting Chris at all. Re-read my original post on him. I don't get all googley over rookie pitchers. Let them go through teams a couple times before you make any judgement on them. (It's why I have always been against pitchers winning ROY.) And because Chris does have a habit of HAVING to pitch out of jams, that makes it scarey. Like I said, once he shows he can have that kind of concentration on every pitch in every AB, he is one pitch away from the other team having a big inning. Personally, I think he learns it. But regardless, he's not a future ace on this team. Just a very good starter.

And BTW It's "you're" not "your." The misuse of words like that is something that tends to get to me. Knitpicking and nothing to do with your point, just thought I would point it out.

No I didn't misunderstand. Strikeout pitchers are far better for those fantasy teams. But for real life?? Give me a ground ball pitcher every time. "You don't need to strike everybody out. Strike outs are boring and no fun." Paraphrasing there.

And I'm not touting Chris at all. Re-read my original post on him. I don't get all googley over rookie pitchers. Let them go through teams a couple times before you make any judgement on them. (It's why I have always been against pitchers winning ROY.) And because Chris does have a habit of HAVING to pitch out of jams, that makes it scarey. Like I said, once he shows he can have that kind of concentration on every pitch in every AB, he is one pitch away from the other team having a big inning. Personally, I think he learns it. But regardless, he's not a future ace on this team. Just a very good starter.

And BTW It's "you're" not "your." The misuse of words like that is something that tends to get to me. Knitpicking and nothing to do with your point, just thought I would point it out.

It's not always abotu "fantasy teams" Bob. Everyone knows I like sinkerball pitchers (Mitre?), but you'd be nuts to say that a strikeout isn't more exciting than a grounder to short. When you think about the most dominating pitchers, are they sinkerballers or are they strikeout pitchers?

Everytime someone young makes an argument you don't have to talk down to us about "fantasy teams".

It's not always abotu "fantasy teams" Bob. Everyone knows I like sinkerball pitchers (Mitre?), but you'd be nuts to say that a strikeout isn't more exciting than a grounder to short. When you think about the most dominating pitchers, are they sinkerballers or are they strikeout pitchers?

Everytime someone young makes an argument you don't have to talk down to us about "fantasy teams".

Yea the most exciting pitchers are pitchers who will K 10+ a game.

Some Examples are Tim Lincecum and CC Sabathia who dominate and get the BIG K's when they need them the most.

It just gets the Crowd into the game and most people would rather see that then a pitcher who will Strikeout 4 and get 23 groundouts but hey an Out is still an Out

But u don't need to be dominant to be successful, some of the biggest names are not reliant on their fastball, such as Tom Glavine, Greg Maddox, Jamie Moyer :mischief

You get the point, their have been plenty of sinkerballers to be successful. I couldn't give a sh*t if our guy strikes out a batter a billion times or 0, all that matters is that we win the games they pitch

OMG, thats not what im saying. When it comes to exciting pitchers, ricky nolasco RIGHT NOW TODAY is more exciting than Chris volastad because he can strike out a ton of batters. Im not saying who id rather have, im just saying Nolasco is a more exciting pitcher. understand?

And, sorry about saying your not you're

Okay. I give up. You just are not going to get the point. Or refuse to. But seeing that you went so far off the original point just to argue if a high K pitcher or a contact pitcher is better, I'll chalk it up to a difference in opinions, and leave it at that. You can just go ahead and call me nuts for wanting a pitcher that throws to contact and gets the outs with few pitches instead of guys that focus on the Ks and throw 7+ pitches per AB. I'll take exceptional defense over alot of Ks any time. And a mix of the two is a beautiful thing.

Not talking down to anyone about playing them. Just those that refuse to know the difference between their fantasy teams and what's best for the real life team.

OMG, thats not what im saying. When it comes to exciting pitchers, ricky nolasco RIGHT NOW TODAY is more exciting than Chris volastad because he can strike out a ton of batters. Im not saying who id rather have, im just saying Nolasco is a more exciting pitcher. understand?

And, sorry about saying your not you're

I'm not saying which one of those two I would rather have either. Matter of fact, I pointed out Chris's main fault. But I would be willing to bet he has a much healthier career than Ricky. But your viewpoint is echoed by many fans. Just like mine is. Let's pay attention to the Top 10 next year and see if defensive plays outnumber Ks. And, more importantly, which pitchers around the league stay the healthiest. Keep in mind, a high K pitcher isn't at all exciting to watch on the DL.

LOL The "your", "you're" thing is no biggie. Just a pet peeve. Wanna talk about "to", "too", and "two"???