Buster Olney on SportsCenter

Wild Card

This morning, talking about the Rays, brought up the Marlins after.

He basically stated that Beinfest & Co. have full permission to bring back ALL arbitration-eligible players if they believe that's the best plan of action. Apparently payroll is not a factor.

He also mentioned with that said, that there will be a few moves. He specifically mentioned Uggla, saying it is extremely likely he will NOT be moved. The name he did say we should expect to be gone, surprise surprise, is Jacobs. At the end, he said if you are looking for the Rays of 2008 in '09, look no further than the Florida Marlins. It is extremely likely to happen...

A lot of words of encouragement.

However what they say now may be completely different to what happens in reality.

If it turns out the payroll is now longer an issue then I think this is a mjor step forward in the future of this franchise. I also think that the timing of loosening the purse strings is rather odd considering the state of finance these days.

As I have emphasised before, I am a firm believer that we bring back Uggla in 2009. Jacobs can go. Olsen I'm still undecided as we have the prospect of Andrew Miller replacing him, however Miller will experience struggles again this year, albeit not as drastic as April 2008 in my opinion. Also, Hermida should be given another chance as he is still relatively young and cheap. Unfortunately I think it is time for Willingham to move on as we have seen he cannot maintain his health throughout the course of the season with his bad back.

He basically stated that Beinfest & Co. have full permission to bring back ALL arbitration-eligible players if they believe that's the best plan of action. Apparently payroll is not a factor.

He also mentioned with that said, that there will be a few moves. He specifically mentioned Uggla, saying it is extremely likely he will NOT be moved. The name he did say we should expect to be gone, surprise surprise, is Jacobs. At the end, he said if you are looking for the Rays of 2008 in '09, look no further than the Florida Marlins. It is extremely likely to happen...

This is fantastic news if true. This team is bonkers. It's really amazing what the difference between a $30-35 and $40 million team will get us.

Trades - Gregg, Jacobs. No one else

John Baker $405,000

Jorge Cantu $4,500,000

Dan Uggla $4,400,000

Dallas McPherson $600,000

Hanley Ramirez $5,500,000

Cody Ross $3,000,000

Cameron Maybin $400,000

Jeremy Hermida $2,500,000

Alfredo Amezaga $1,750,000

Josh Willingham $2,000,000

Wes Helms $950,000

Gaby Sanchez $400,000

Young RH Catcher - $400,000

Josh Johnson $1,750,000

Ricky Nolasco $3,000,000

Scott Olsen $2,250,000

Chris Volstad $405,000

Anibal Sanchez $425,000

Matt Lindstrom $425,000

Joe Nelson $800,000

Reynel Pinto $425,000

Andrew Miller $1,350,000

Logan Kensing $550,000

Taylor Tankeresly $415,000

Ryan Tucker $400,000

$39,000,000

Only thing missing organizationally, is another young catcher. A best case scenario is getting back a young catcher and a young reliever through trading Jacobs and Gregg and adding them to the MLB depth chart. This pushes Tank or Kensing off the team which no one will cry about. Minor league wise, the top two teams are packed and would provide plenty of firepower for contributions or trade power down the stretch.

Notable Minor Leagues

AAA - Coghlan, Raynor, Mobley, Cruz, Vanden Hurk, Trahern, Doolittle, J. Delgado, Rabelo

AA - Morrison, West, Thompson, Sinkbiel, Wood, Leroux, Cousins, Petersen, Winters, G. Taylor

A+ - Stanton, Dominguez, Skipworth

A - Hand, Correa

Notable Minor Leagues

AAA - Coghlan, Raynor, Mobley, Cruz, Vanden Hurk, Trahern, Doolittle, J. Delgado, Rabelo

AA - Morrison, West, Thompson, Sinkbiel, Wood, Leroux, Cousins, Petersen, Winters, G. Taylor

A - Hand, Correa

Do you think with the AAA organization moving to New Orleans that some of the AA studs might get called up to AAA now that the team is out of the launch pads of Albuquerque?

Notable Minor Leagues

A - Hand, Correa

Do you think with the AAA organization moving to New Orleans that some of the AA studs might get called up to AAA now that the team is out of the launch pads of Albuquerque?

Absolutely

Also lou, as for young catchers... don't be surprised to see Brett Hayes make the team out of Spring Training. The FO loves his defense and he has drawn comparisons to another FO favorite, Brad Ausmus

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, Marlins ownership will allow the team to keep all of its many arbitration-eligible players, if that is the front office's preference. The Marlins won't be forced to make payroll-motivated deals; instead, they'll just look for good baseball trades like any team. Greg Cote suggested the same a few weeks ago, noting that the Marlins will shift focus to pitching, speed, and defense but won't cut payroll just for the sake of it.

Olney figures they'll keep Dan Uggla:

It appears very unlikely they will deal Uggla and others, and they are poised to be the Rays of 2009.

Still, I wouldn't rule it out. The Angels are already said to have Uggla on the radar if Mark Teixeira leaves. Uggla is also considered a good fit for the Giants. The Marlins lost leverage when it was thought they had to move Uggla and others for payroll reasons. It's beneficial to get the word out that they can afford all of the arb-eligible players, even if it's not true.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, Marlins ownership will allow the team to keep all of its many arbitration-eligible players, if that is the front office's preference. The Marlins won't be forced to make payroll-motivated deals; instead, they'll just look for good baseball trades like any team. Greg Cote suggested the same a few weeks ago, noting that the Marlins will shift focus to pitching, speed, and defense but won't cut payroll just for the sake of it.

Olney figures they'll keep Dan Uggla:

It appears very unlikely they will deal Uggla and others, and they are poised to be the Rays of 2009.

Still, I wouldn't rule it out. The Angels are already said to have Uggla on the radar if Mark Teixeira leaves. Uggla is also considered a good fit for the Giants. The Marlins lost leverage when it was thought they had to move Uggla and others for payroll reasons. It's beneficial to get the word out that they can afford all of the arb-eligible players, even if it's not true.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I hardly believe that the Marlins have pressed a panic button to unload Uggla's contract...Far from it for the first time all conversations are being held with leverage on the FO side. If someone want's Uggla they will need to put their best effort to get him. No salary dump here right now. Uggla will not be traded for an assortment of prospects, only the team that can offer top level ready to play talent will be able to have their proposals evaluated further.

This is fantastic news if true. This team is bonkers. It's really amazing what the difference between a $30-35 and $40 million team will get us.

Trades - Gregg, Jacobs. No one else

John Baker $405,000

Jorge Cantu $4,500,000

Dan Uggla $4,400,000

Dallas McPherson $600,000

Hanley Ramirez $5,500,000

Cody Ross $3,000,000

Cameron Maybin $400,000

Jeremy Hermida $2,500,000

Alfredo Amezaga $1,750,000

Josh Willingham $2,000,000

Wes Helms $950,000

Gaby Sanchez $400,000

Young RH Catcher - $400,000

Josh Johnson $1,750,000

Ricky Nolasco $3,000,000

Scott Olsen $2,250,000

Chris Volstad $405,000

Anibal Sanchez $425,000

Matt Lindstrom $425,000

Joe Nelson $800,000

Reynel Pinto $425,000

Andrew Miller $1,350,000

Logan Kensing $550,000

Taylor Tankeresly $415,000

Ryan Tucker $400,000

$39,000,000

Only thing missing organizationally, is another young catcher. A best case scenario is getting back a young catcher and a young reliever through trading Jacobs and Gregg and adding them to the MLB depth chart. This pushes Tank or Kensing off the team which no one will cry about. Minor league wise, the top two teams are packed and would provide plenty of firepower for contributions or trade power down the stretch.

Notable Minor Leagues

A - Hand, Correa

if you're roster prediction comes true this team is going to be badass. also you do think they're willing to put willingham on the bench and pay him 2 million. i know that's not a lot of money but i wouldn't be surprised if willingham and olsen got traded along with gregg and jacobs because they have miller and ross to play their positions.

I really doubt Olsen stays though. I mean he hasent been so great with this orginazation. I like the guy he's probably my fav pitcher on the team but with all he's done off the field which hasen't been backed up on the field and with Miller volstad tucker and Anibal i doubt Olsen stays and is probably traded for that Young catcher were looking for

I really doubt Olsen stays though. I mean he hasent been so great with this orginazation. I like the guy he's probably my fav pitcher on the team but with all he's done off the field which hasen't been backed up on the field and with Miller volstad tucker and Anibal i doubt Olsen stays and is probably traded for that Young catcher were looking for

Yeah I agree that he probably hasnt lived up to expectations but he has been our most reliable pitcher the past 2 or 3 season and there is a helluva lot to be said for reliability ever since Girardi left with the pitching staff's elbow ligaments in a suitcase. I think we can all agree that Scotty O. has matured alot this past season and actually looks willing to learn. I project a big season from him where ever he is hurling the ball.

id like to see olsen stay...ive said that a bunch of times but i think miller is a bit too unproven to hand him a rotation spot and olsen is a solid No 3 which is where i think he will slot behind johnson and nolasco. with olsen you know what you're going to get...with miller you dont just quite yet. if we are going to contend we need some sense of stability

id like to see olsen stay...ive said that a bunch of times but i think miller is a bit too unproven to hand him a rotation spot and olsen is a solid No 3 which is where i think he will slot behind johnson and nolasco. with olsen you know what you're going to get...with miller you dont just quite yet. if we are going to contend we need some sense of stability

Based on how guys pitched ERA, h/9. WHIP, etc the slot would be #1 Nolasco, #2 Volstad, #3 Johnson, #4 Olsen, #5 Anibal

I would be ecstatic if we could back a B+ Ryan Tucker/power relief type arm for Scott Olsen or even a lower level, high ceiling OFer like an Engel Beltre from the Rangers. I'd put money on Scott Olsen having a 4.75 + ERA next season; he's just too hittable and doesn't really do anything that good IMO.

I definitely agree that I do not like Olsen's skill set at all and that I think he'll be an upper 4 ERA pitcher next year. And trading him this year would likely be selling high on him, which would be great for our part.

but if we can afford to keep him, he gives us SP depth, and that's huge for us considering our current situation.

Part of me wonders if this is some grand scheme to trick other teams into thinking that we don't need to trade our players just so the offers will be better. :cool

Either way this is great news!

Well, I DO think the Marlins have the money to pay this team at most $40 Million next season. That I do not doubt. But I also do believe that this was clearly made public to let other teams know... If you want someone on this team, don't lowball us, because we are not in any position to deal any of these guys for lesser talent. The only reason any of them will be out of a Marlin uni next year is if you offer something that will improve this franchise significantly, where needed.

I'll only believe this when I see it after the WS and they start resigning people up. Bite me for being a skeptic.

That's your right as a Marlin fan.