Opinion poll: Who's next to be traded?

The_Godfather

Ok, im on the Olsen to the Rangers bandwagon (makes sense).

Olsen to the Rangers for a C

But what about..

Olsen to the Brewers for some sort of Angel Salome package. He's a very nice RH C prospect who's been compared to Pudge (short, cannon arm, hits lefties and righties equally well). Had an insane AA year .360/.415/.559. If the Brewers lose CC and Sheets they've got a huge hole at SP and can afford to deal Salome with the FA comp picks they'll get back.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's Gregg as well. We should be able to get a nice package for him.

I just want these trades to be done soon so we can get a better idea of what's going to be happening in 2009. Of course, I don't want the FO to rush and take lesser deals, but I'm excited to see what kinds of players we get for each guy.

I also think Gregg and Willingham will be traded, and that's it. We'll only trade Olsen if we get something too good to pass up. I think the SP depth will be important for us next year.

Olsen, then Gregg, then Willingham or Hermida, one, not both. Olsen will fetch another reliever, Gregg a dump trade, Willingham or Hermida probably another reliever.

We've only been over it 40 times, but Gregg is a good player, he is going to be a type A free agent if a team let's him close, and that is pretty damn valuable. It will be far from a dump trade.

Olsen, then Gregg, then Willingham or Hermida, one, not both. Olsen will fetch another reliever, Gregg a dump trade, Willingham or Hermida probably another reliever.

Gregg isn't a dump trade. He almost notched 30 saves this past year, and notched over 30 the year before.

We've only been over it 40 times, but Gregg is a good player, he is going to be a type A free agent if a team let's him close, and that is pretty damn valuable. It will be far from a dump trade.

Then think about it... what are we going to get for him? Regardless of if he is good or not... he has poor value out there. Teams are more willing to wait for free agency to get him when they can get him for free and lots of money rather than a player - and then lots of money! He has bad value... he wont fetch a starter... maybe a call-up guy... thats it.

Scottie's number is up!

He will be traded for more bullpen help or the Outfielder we covert

We don't need outfielders.

We need another young catcher and more P depth at any level. We're covered everywhere else.

Id like to see Scott Olsen traded for Kelly Shoppach. Or Kevin Gregg and a mid level prospect for Kelly Shoppach. Basically, i would like if the marlins acquire Kelly Shoppach.

Then think about it... what are we going to get for him? Regardless of if he is good or not... he has poor value out there. Teams are more willing to wait for free agency to get him when they can get him for free and lots of money rather than a player - and then lots of money! He has bad value... he wont fetch a starter... maybe a call-up guy... thats it.

You are completely missing the point. Teams will not be lining up to give Brian Fuentes $40 million over 4 years and K-Rod $60+ million over 5 years versus trading the Marlins a nice prospect, paying Gregg $5 million for 1 year, and then recouping Type A Draft pick compensation after the year. This fixes a teams closer spot for a year with a pretty good relief pitcher (1.25 whip over 2 years, close to a 9 K/9, .220s BAA, less than a HR per 9 IP. These are really solid numbers), and they can recoup their prospects after the year. This makes TONS of sense for the mid market contenders, specifically Cleveland, Milwaukee, and maybe St. Louis, and even larger ones like Anaheim (Arredondo not ready, Shields is perfect in his slot, Speier struggling), Detroit, the and the Muts. Someone is going to bite.

You literally couldn't be more wrong. We're going to get a very good trade for Gregg as long as that MRI on the knee holds up, which is very likely.

Scottie's number is up!

We need another young catcher and more P depth at any level. We're covered everywhere else.

Id like to see Scott Olsen traded for Kelly Shoppach. Or Kevin Gregg and a mid level prospect for Kelly Shoppach. Basically, i would like if the marlins acquire Kelly Shoppach.

I'd love to see some of that pixie dust you're snorting, because that isn't in the realm of reality.

Scottie's number is up!

I'd love to see some of that pixie dust you're snorting, because that isn't in the realm of reality.

Why not? If we need a catcher that can hit lefties, Shoppach would be that guy. Plus, he is only 28 years old, and the Indians already have Victor Martinez so Shoppach could be shopped.

And you mentioned Cleveland as a team that needs Kevin Gregg. So i dont see the problem here.

Shoppach is the first catcher I would go after, based on the Marlins needs. I don't even understand the admiration for Saltalamacchia, unless it's just because he's a local boy. Not only are his catching skills of a caliber that have him being considered as a first baseman, he hasn't shown that he can hit a lick at the major league level. In three tries (seasons) at the major league level, his power has diminished and his strikeouts have risen. Shoppach is not only good but realistically obtainable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.