Kevin Gregg Traded to Cubs

If there arent any free agent pick ups than I think it would be fair to say this is another firesale because the moves are not improving the 2009 team . As frustrating as Gregg was he is still a decent proven closer . As far as Olsen goes , a healthy left hander who eats up innings , I am people can say how sucked but we got screwed in that deal . It was a deal done to shed payroll.

The Cubs got just as screwed in this deal as the Marlins did when they traded Olsen / Willingham.

From an overall point of view this off season we have gotten rid of our closer , 2 everyday starters , our 3rd best starting pitcher and in return we have gotten a middle reliver , 2 low level prospects , a close to major league relief prospect , and a middle infielder with limited major league experience. We have not made our team better this offseason so far . I am holding out hope we do make some moves to acquire major league talent . We can't continually be in a never ending rebuilding process if you want to be a successful franchise.

2 everyday starters that the Marlins already have replacements for.

A closer who wasn't really a closer and definitely wasn't worth what he was going to get...considering our payroll limitations. Gregg's 9 blown saves (him being the closer, and all) are easily replaceable. Someone will step up...it always happens. Doesn't take a hero to pitch 1 inning. Borowski did it, T.Jones did it, Gregg did it...these were all guys who were not wanted, yet somehow did it. The Marlins have plenty of options.

As far as "3rd best starting pitcher," Nolasco, Josh Johnson, and Chris Volstad (the top 3) are all still here...and will stay here.

I am tired of the mentality we all have to adapt as Marlins fans. We trade players as soon as they become arbitration eligible because they are going to make money . As Marlin fans we are come to accept that our team will be gutted and rationalize the moves made by thinking we are getting more talent back or that the players we traded were flawed. Fact we gave up proven major league talent and we got NO proven major league talent back. I am hoping that we are going to make some moves to sure up our roster but none of us know what the front offices intentions are. As far as the Olsen , I am not huge fan of his but Olsen was a solid pitcher with three years of experience who ate up innings. Volstad and Miller I believe are better than Olsen but neither has accomplished what Olsen has yet . Based on achievement Olsen was our third best pitcher.

If there arent any free agent pick ups than I think it would be fair to say this is another firesale because the moves are not improving the 2009 team . As frustrating as Gregg was he is still a decent proven closer . As far as Olsen goes , a healthy left hander who eats up innings , I am people can say how sucked but we got screwed in that deal . It was a deal done to shed payroll.

The Cubs got just as screwed in this deal as the Marlins did when they traded Olsen / Willingham.

From an overall point of view this off season we have gotten rid of our closer , 2 everyday starters , our 3rd best starting pitcher and in return we have gotten a middle reliver , 2 low level prospects , a close to major league relief prospect , and a middle infielder with limited major league experience. We have not made our team better this offseason so far . I am holding out hope we do make some moves to acquire major league talent . We can't continually be in a never ending rebuilding process if you want to be a successful franchise.

2 everyday starters that the Marlins already have replacements for.

A closer who wasn't really a closer and definitely wasn't worth what he was going to get...considering our payroll limitations. Gregg's 9 blown saves (him being the closer, and all) are easily replaceable. Someone will step up...it always happens. Doesn't take a hero to pitch 1 inning. Borowski did it, T.Jones did it, Gregg did it...these were all guys who were not wanted, yet somehow did it. The Marlins have plenty of options.

As far as "3rd best starting pitcher," Nolasco, Josh Johnson, and Chris Volstad (the top 3) are all still here...and will stay here.

I am tired of the mentality we all have to adapt as Marlins fans. We trade players as soon as they become arbitration eligible because they are going to make money . As Marlin fans we are come to accept that our team will be gutted and rationalize the moves made by thinking we are getting more talent back or that the players we traded were flawed. Fact we gave up proven major league talent and we got NO proven major league talent back. I am hoping that we are going to make some moves to sure up our roster but none of us know what the front offices intentions are. As far as the Olsen , I am not huge fan of his but Olsen was a solid pitcher with three years of experience who ate up innings. Volstad and Miller I believe are better than Olsen but neither has accomplished what Olsen has yet . Based on achievement Olsen was our third best pitcher.

What "achievement?"

And facts are facts. They might be tough to deal with, but fact is...we're not going to spend money like a big-market team...b/c we aren't one.

What "achievement?"

And facts are facts. They might be tough to deal with, but fact is...we're not going to spend money like a big-market team...b/c we aren't one.

Scott Olsen has pitched at least 175 innings 3 years in a row , and was won at least 10 games twice in three years . Is he Cy Young no but Volstad has about 85 innings under his belt and 6 career wins. Andrew Miller has 11 career wins in two season and the most innings he has pitched is a little under 108 innings. I think both are more talented but Olsen has proven himself more at the major league level thus far and to give him up for nothing seems risky in my opinion

we are all such homers. gregg is much more valuable than either olsen or willingham. Just cause a guy blew 8 saves doesnt mean he doesnt have value, or isnt a good bullpen arm. he is very valuable as a releiver, and relatively cheap for most teams... thats why we got better then emilio bonifacio in return this time.

if we could have gotten a young live arm in the olsen\hammer trade then we would have... obviously. yes, this trade gives us a good return. yes, beinfest generally makes deals that give him the best possible value, because that is part of his job description.

overall, we're moving the players that most of us knew would be moved and we are getting young, cheap talent in return. our team is getting younger, cheaper, faster, and better at defense. its not bad, its good. its not a fire-sale, its good business. Lets get behind our team. Not every deal is a steal for us, including this oe, but we are definitely moving in the right direction. whats funny is how subjective you guys are and how you cry and moan because we ship out fan favorites who are overvalued and then jump for joy when we ship out one of the best and most established arms in our bullpen for a younger, higher risk guy, basically 'cause we're bitter about 8 blown saves.

clearly, people dont really hvae a grasp of what fair value is. it makes sense. we are fans, think like fans, and value our players with our hearts more than our brains. the big offseason picture is only starting to come into focus for the marlins, but we need to realize that our team is in good hands, and are moving in a positive direction, overall. next year will be exciting. what more can a fan really ask for? (and don't say paying dudes just because you guys have man-crushes on them.) (anyone starting threads about 'who's more handsome, ceda or gregg' yet??) :whistle

I think we all do and secretly we all have that one player we think they might go get, hidden somewhere in the back of our minds, thinking it's to outlandish to even mention the name.

Barry Bonds!

100,000,000% on board here. And he won't cost anything. Could you imagine if we signed Bonds and O-Dog and moved Uggla to 3rd? It's all a big reach, but what a lineup.

Maybin CF

Hudson 2B

Ramirez SS

Bonds LF

Uggla 3B

Cantu 1B

Ross/Hermida RF

Baker C

holy..... (even if you deal Cantu and put Gaby in his spot and bat Gaby 7th/8th......whoa)

What do the Cubs expect Gregg to do? Set up, or dare I say close? On the ESPN bottom line they just said the Cubs willnot sig Kerry Wood because they traded for Gregg.

:blink:

I know. Marmol is gonna have to be the closer. I dont think gregg can handle the pressure over there in CHI being a closer.

What do the Cubs expect Gregg to do? Set up, or dare I say close? On the ESPN bottom line they just said the Cubs willnot sig Kerry Wood because they traded for Gregg.

I know. Marmol is gonna have to be the closer. I dont think gregg can handle the pressure over there in CHI being a closer.

They have to let him close to get Type A free agent compensation. This is a huge deal, it's two excellent draft choices. They like to use Marmol for 2 inning bursts, and they really should because he can do it and he is freaking awesome. He's the finish off the 7th, and full 8th, guy. No need to move him.

It's a no brainer Gregg is closing for them. They are idiots if they don't.

They have to let him close to get Type A free agent compensation. This is a huge deal, it's two excellent draft choices. They like to use Marmol for 2 inning bursts, and they really should because he can do it and he is freaking awesome. He's the finish off the 7th, and full 8th, guy. No need to move him.

It's a no brainer Gregg is closing for them. They are idiots if they don't.

:thumbup

Keith Law calls it a heist for us

Marlins get a steal for Gregg

Thursday, November 13, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

Getting Jose Ceda for one year of Kevin Gregg is a heist for Florida, and could really end up as a disaster for the Cubs, given how they intend to realign their pen.

The Cubs say they're going to move Carlos Marmol into the closer role, removing him from the seventh-eighth inning role where Lou Piniella was willing to stretch him out to get more than three outs in a single appearance. It also increases the chance that Marmol will be wasted in save situations where the Cubs have a three-run lead (that is, a relatively low-leverage save situation).

They may use Gregg in the setup role, even though there's not much reason to anticipate he'll be more than a middle reliever in performance. Gregg has an average arsenal, sinker-slider-split, and other than occasionally running the fastball up to 94 doesn't have a plus pitch. His control is below-average, with 72 unintentional walks over the last two years in 152 innings, and only a fluky-low home run rate in 2008 kept his ERA under 4. He's not quite Antonio Alfonseca redux, but he's no replacement for Kerry Wood, either.

The Marlins, meanwhile, have picked up another free arm for a player they simply didn't want or need for 2009, and this arm is very good. Ceda sits in the mid-90s with a sharp slider with hard diving action, and he has a good track record of missing bats in the minors, including 42 strikeouts in 30 AA innings this year. His stuff would play in the majors right now, and the Marlins aren't afraid to promote guys with big velocity quickly.

You don't give arms like Ceda away for one year of a middle reliever's time. Nothing is guaranteed with pitchers and especially not with pitching prospects, but I could see Gregg posting a 4.50 ERA and leaving as a free agent while Ceda becomes a star reliever in Florida for the next six years.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...e%3dkeith%2blaw

Keith Law calls it a heist for us

Marlins get a steal for Gregg

Thursday, November 13, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

Getting Jose Ceda for one year of Kevin Gregg is a heist for Florida, and could really end up as a disaster for the Cubs, given how they intend to realign their pen.

The Cubs say they're going to move Carlos Marmol into the closer role, removing him from the seventh-eighth inning role where Lou Piniella was willing to stretch him out to get more than three outs in a single appearance. It also increases the chance that Marmol will be wasted in save situations where the Cubs have a three-run lead (that is, a relatively low-leverage save situation).

They may use Gregg in the setup role, even though there's not much reason to anticipate he'll be more than a middle reliever in performance. Gregg has an average arsenal, sinker-slider-split, and other than occasionally running the fastball up to 94 doesn't have a plus pitch. His control is below-average, with 72 unintentional walks over the last two years in 152 innings, and only a fluky-low home run rate in 2008 kept his ERA under 4. He's not quite Antonio Alfonseca redux, but he's no replacement for Kerry Wood, either.

The Marlins, meanwhile, have picked up another free arm for a player they simply didn't want or need for 2009, and this arm is very good. Ceda sits in the mid-90s with a sharp slider with hard diving action, and he has a good track record of missing bats in the minors, including 42 strikeouts in 30 AA innings this year. His stuff would play in the majors right now, and the Marlins aren't afraid to promote guys with big velocity quickly.

You don't give arms like Ceda away for one year of a middle reliever's time. Nothing is guaranteed with pitchers and especially not with pitching prospects, but I could see Gregg posting a 4.50 ERA and leaving as a free agent while Ceda becomes a star reliever in Florida for the next six years.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...e%3dkeith%2blaw

Words cannot describe how hard I am going to laugh if they don't let Gregg get 25 saves to ensure Type A status. This trade isn't bad for the Cubs with 1 year of Gregg and 2 first round picks

This trade is really bad for the Cubs with 1 year of Gregg and a compensatory 2nd round pick.