Orlando to Fort Lauderdale

PhxPhin

I'll be taking the red-eye into Orlando tommorrow night where I'll spending a day with my brother before my wife and I drive down to fort lauderdale to the port for a cruise. Was wondering if anyone familiar with the drive between the two had any suggested routes or if there was any road work that I should be aware of. My little brother is new to Orlando and doesn't get around much, so he's of little help.

Many thanks!

ugh ........ other sports does not equal outfield............ must sleep now

:D Moved.

As for routes, I think the easiest and fastest route would be to take the Florida Turnpike (aka Ronald Reagan Turnpike) south all the way to the Interstate 595 (east) exit, which will take you straight to the Port. Mind you, the Turnpike is a Toll Road so carry plenty of change for the trip.

An alternative would be to take the Beachline Expressway (SR 528) east to Interstate 95 south. It takes close to an hour longer, but it's toll-free and there are far more places to stop for air / gas / food.

ugh ........ other sports does not equal outfield............ must sleep now

:D Moved.

As for routes, I think the easiest and fastest route would be to take the Florida Turnpike (aka Ronald Reagan Turnpike) south all the way to the Interstate 595 (east) exit, which will take you straight to the Port. Mind you, the Turnpike is a Toll Road so carry plenty of change for the trip.

An alternative would be to take the Beachline Expressway (SR 528) east to Interstate 95 south. It takes close to an hour longer, but it's toll-free and there are far more places to stop for air / gas / food.

Plenty of change is an understatement. Try $15. The total cost for the Turnpike is $14.70, but it's a smooth trip. And time is of the essence. You want to get there early. Boarding usually starts between Noon and 1pm, at least it does for Royal Caribbean. The earlier you get there, the sooner you can begin pre-boarding check-in at the dock.

Regardless of which you use, you'll want to ultimately get off at I-595 East, and follow the signs to Port Everglades.

BTW: Why couldn't you put out of Port Canaveral if you were stopping in Orlando? :mischief

princess is the cruiseline - we had our cruise picked out on timing (wife teaches to it had to fit perfectly into spring break), itinerary and then price and the like

flights were insanely expensive into either Miami or FLL (saved over $200 per ticket going into Orlando) - so instead of little brother coming down to hang with us for a day, we'll hang with him and just rent a car to make the drive (rental was only like $35 each leg) - will drop the car off at the airport and then take the free rental shuttle into port everglades

is the tollway one of those where you pull a ticket when you get on and settle at the booth when you exit or one of those where just pay periodically along the way?

definitely appreciate the help

What Beetle said is basically how you could get there. For Princess, their Embarkation port is at 1850 Eller Drive, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. If you want to save on tolls, then taking the Beeline is the best choice but if it doesn't really matter.. the turnpike is the quickest route.

I called in an expert (on trips, directions, and cruises).

What Beetle said is basically how you could get there. For Princess, their Embarkation port is at 1850 Eller Drive, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. If you want to save on tolls, then taking the Beeline is the best choice but if it doesn't really matter.. the turnpike is the quickest route.

I called in an expert (on trips, directions, and cruises).

I am an expert when it comes to planning my own vacation. I know how to save money and plan well.

thanks again for the help

had a fun time and am now back to reality

took the turnpike all the way down from orlando - was a pretty easy drive and the cruiseline did a great job of getting us on the boat really fast

on the way back yesterday, we were in our rental around 8am and our flight out was at 5:30pm in orlando - started up 95, made a pit stop in jupiter for some photos and a spring training t-shirt, then ended up swinging back to the turnpike after firming up lunch plans with my little brother

really nice complex in jupiter and there were a lot of cardinal fans out there getting preped for the game, despite it being pretty early in the day - wish the marlins were playing that day even though I wouldn't of been able to stick around for any of it