Miami Marlins!

marlins fan stan

I can't say I am thrilled with the prospect of calling my team the Miami Marlins however it is something that I will just have to accept. The name change was obviously important to the city, and despite not living in the country and having never been to Miami, I much prefer them staying there and having to change their name as opposed to the team being shipped off to the desert someplace in which case the whole identity of the team would be lost.

Because of the alliteration, The Miami Marlins sounds like a Saturday morning kids cartoon show, i.e. Scooby-Doo, The Hair-Bear Bunch, Grape Ape; Try saying the New York Nankees, or the Boston Bed Sox.

Plus, let's look at the history of teams with the same first letter in Team and Nicknames:

Chicago Cubs (last won WS when Babe Ruth was a sperm)

Pittsburgh Pirates (never contenders)

Philapdelphia Phillies (er . . . :blink: )

Miami Marlins just sounds gay to me.

gay or not...this is our team. we are financing the stadium, not florida. guess you guys forgot, the florida state legislature wouldnt even hear us out before. they shut us down twice.

yes sir, this is miami's team. its thanks to us the marlins will stay, and have a place to play. i am looking forward to this name change, go "miami marlins"!

I hate the name. As many pointed out, the alliteration is ridiculous. But I'll get over it, I rarely use the full name anyways.

Hey rab, I just have a tiny comment to make about your signature. I get what its trying to do but I just have to point out the bottom of the 9th wont be played.

But yeah, finally we got our stadium.

I hate the name. As many pointed out, the alliteration is ridiculous. But I'll get over it, I rarely use the full name anyways.

Hey rab, I just have a tiny comment to make about your signature. I get what its trying to do but I just have to point out the bottom of the 9th wont be played.

also it looks like the Marlins are white supremists and have defeated the minorities.

Because of the alliteration, The Miami Marlins sounds like a Saturday morning kids cartoon show, i.e. Scooby-Doo, The Hair-Bear Bunch, Grape Ape; Try saying the New York Nankees, or the Boston Bed Sox.

Plus, let's look at the history of teams with the same first letter in Team and Nicknames:

I b

Think the phils have more losses than any team in baseball history.

I 100% echo what most in here have said, I'm def. not thrilled about the name change at all, but at this point it doesn't matter because no matter what we are going to be, we are going to be HERE. That is the most important thing to me. Also, as Rab said, most of the time I just call them the Marlins, I don't use the full name often.

The thing is, I live in WPB, not Miami, so in a weird way I felt like them being the Florida Marlins made them a little bit more "my" team instead of just Miami's team. The Heat and the Dolphins are both Miami, so the Marlins were the only ones that really represented all of Florida for me. Plus I never really liked the way the M looked on the logo, I loved the F, but we will see how the new logos look, who knows, it may be sweet.

You think Miami Marlins sounds "gay" but you have no problem with a team named after an article of clothing that's purpose is purely to absorb foot sweat?

Most of us are assuming the Marlins will adopt the "Miami" identification at some point just to spite the state for striking us down, which would make it appropriate to bring in the name change when we actually open the new stadium.

I heard the city argued for the Miami Moniker to Spite the state, not the Marlins.

I could care less if they were called the Miami Fags, BASEBALL WILL BE HERE FOR THE NEXT 35 YEARS!! Who gives a sh*t what there name is! Miami Marlins is the right thing to do... The City/County stepped up to the plate... The State did sh*t for us, screw them!!

city want name change because their paying for building of ballpark all team in dade have miami on it rays got tampa on it because that were their play and city of miami and county think it be good move to change name to miami marlins because that were their play i do florida marlins name but their play in miami

I think (and I believe Hawkfan said something along these lines, excuse me for not reading it all... Im not in a reading mood today) that when the Marlins were conceived, they were Florida's team, and since the Rays were doormats for so long, continued to be so. With the recent emergence of the Rays and the continuous competitiveness of the Marlins, it's only fair to remove the moniker of "Florida's team" from the Marlins because the Rays are no longer pushovers.

That being said, I'm still not a fan... but guess what, I can always wear my Florida Marlins stuff... it'll just be retro-chic

I know, but it looks bad otherwise.

I guess I'm one of the few who likes Miami Marlins better than Florida Marlins. Baseball teams (or most sports teams for that matter) are traditionally named after cities. Naming them after states is more of a recent thing, and I've never really been a fan of it.

I think the reason you all like Florida is because you are so used to it. We will all get used to Miami eventually and will look back and 'Florida Marlins' will sound funny.

Also, Rab, wasn't the final tally 10-3?

Well, there were 4 votes. The 9-4 win was the most important one that needed the super majority. The rest just needed 7 votes and all passed with 10 or more.

I'm pretty sure you have it backwards. The stadium agreement only needed 7 votes to pass, the others needed super majority. That's why they motioned to vote the stadium agreement first, so that if they only get the 7 votes, the other feel compelled to help the others and support them with the super majority.

Unless I'm completely wrong. But that's the impression that I got from it.

the marlins changing their team name to the Miami Marlins just proves more that the prediction in the movie Back to the Future Part II is correct. Now all the marlins have to do is move to the AL and lose to the Cubs in the WS in 2015.

For all who have never seen the movie, check this

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/bttf2.asp

THE MOVIE TELLS ALL

I don't care what they call them - just don't call them late for the first pitch on Opening Day........

.........oh wait - didn't I say that once about 8 years ago on this very site and get quoted in Sports Illustrated? Admin? You may be the only one on here who remembers that! :-)

the marlins changing their team name to the Miami Marlins just proves more that the prediction in the movie Back to the Future Part II is correct. Now all the marlins have to do is move to the AL and lose to the Cubs in the WS in 2015.

For all who have never seen the movie, check this

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/bttf2.asp

THE MOVIE TELLS ALL

it would balance the league number of teams...good thinking though :thumbup

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.