Hermida making better contact

Eddie Altamonte

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news...0,4627009.story

Hermida adjusts to make better contact with the fastballBy Juan C. Rodriguez

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

March 27, 2009

FORT LAUDERDALE

It's the pitch every hitter wants. They work counts. They spit on breaking balls, all with the hope of getting a fastball down the middle.

Every major league batter can hit it. What distinguishes the great ones is how rarely they miss it.

Missing fastballs was at the crux of Jeremy Hermida's struggles last season, according to a statistical analysis on ESPN.com as part of its Insider preview on all 30 teams. With the help of Inside Edge, a scouting service that provides information to most major league teams and the media, the Marlins Insider report focused on Hermida's diminished numbers on fastballs put in play.

In 2007, Hermida hit .349 with a .578 slugging percentage on fastballs. Last season, those figures plunged to .247 and .400, respectively.

"That happened some," Hermida said when asked if he felt like he missed an inordinate amount of hittable fastballs. "Honestly, I don't know what to say about that. Two years ago is tough to remember. I definitely had some instances where I missed some last year, but I think that's a product of a lot of things."

The Insider article broke down the numbers even further to fastballs over the middle of the plate and middle in. The decline from 2007 to 2008 was even more pronounced (see chart).

"Some of that is mechanics," Hermida said. "I think some of my mechanics were off a little bit. [Missing fastballs] might have been a weakness that was caused by that. I made some adjustments to this year. I tried to free some things up and tweaked a few things. Hopefully that will translate."

It has so far this spring. After going 1 for 3 with a sacrifice fly in Thursday's 11-6 win against the Orioles at Fort Lauderdale Stadium, Hermida is batting .313 (15 for 48) with a .969 on-base plus slugging percentage. Seven of his 15 hits have gone for extra-bases, including three homers.

"You can look at all that and take it for what it's worth," hitting coach Jim Presley said of Hermida's fastball numbers. "I want to know what he's doing with runners in scoring position, two outs with runners in scoring position. Those to me are bigger stats than what he's hitting 2-2.

"Sometimes you can over-analyze the stats and over-analyze the video. The player has got to get that feel. You can sit there and talk about it all day in the cage and in batting practice, but until he gets that feel in games, that's what spring training is for. He's looked good so far."

Taking the fifthAnibal Sanchez currently is projected as the No. 5 starter. Since the Marlins don't need a fifth starter until April 18, manager Fredi Gonzalez is uncertain whether that guy would open the season in the minors or work out of the big-league bullpen.

Sanchez, who allowed six runs on 12 hits in five innings against the Orioles on Thursday, would just as soon avoid either scenario, saying, "I would like to be in the rotation among the top four, but that's not my decision. ? They'll decide what they're doing with the fifth starter. If it's me, I'll take hold of it. I just want to be healthy for the season.

Why did Presley wait til this Spring? Hermida problem could have been worked last season

Anibal 5th starter not Miller...I agree a LHP is necessary in any rotation

I think that number vs fastballs goes back to what I (and others) had said, which is that Hermida was sitting on the breaking balls, even early in the count.

I'd also like to see his Pitches/PA vs 2007 too, I'll look that up eventually, I'll bet that he wasn't nearly as patient as he had been because he was being coached to "be more aggressive".... *sigh*

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact he was HR swinging all the time. He tended to swing up to try and loft the ball, opposed to his normal line drive plane swing which is quick and right to the ball.

If he has that sweet stroke back, I'll be very excited.

I think that number vs fastballs goes back to what I (and others) had said, which is that Hermida was sitting on the breaking balls, even early in the count.

I'd also like to see his Pitches/PA vs 2007 too, I'll look that up eventually, I'll bet that he wasn't nearly as patient as he had been because he was being coached to "be more aggressive".... *sigh*

I'm glad you asked because I think there's a widely accepted misconception that his '08 struggles were caused by a lack of patience.

Year / PAs / Pitches / Pitches per PA

2006 348 1392 4.00

2007 484 1937 4.00

2008 559 2303 4.12

I'm glad you asked because I think there's a widely accepted misconception that his '08 struggles were caused by a lack of patience.

Year / PAs / Pitches / Pitches per PA

2006 348 1392 4.00

2007 484 1937 4.00

2008 559 2303 4.12

Now I know what I asked for and it's the rates that matter, but it needs to be added to that too that his GP was 99, 123 and 142.

That being said, you can see the same amount of pitches, but like Wild Card said still not "be patient" because your goal is to swat a HR. Especially with little-to-no difference in P/PA.

(Yes, I'm qualifying the rates based on a hypothetical based on results)

Hopefully Hermida can finally have a breakout year this season, because if he doesn't and has another mediocre season I have a feeling he will end up like Lee, who was a good hitter with us and became a great hitter with the Cubs.

Hopefully Hermida can finally have a breakout year this season, because if he doesn't and has another mediocre season I have a feeling he will end up with Lee, who was a good hitter with us and became a great hitter with the Cubs.

Well, Lee and Hermida are in very similar situations here. Lee was undoubtedly killed by Dolphin Stadium. Back in '02 and before '03, I remember being one of the lone Lee supporters on these boards, when nearly everyone here ripped on him offensively. I continually stressed that he had massive talent, and was obviously affected by the stadium, and the second he left for greener pastures he'd be a star. That's exactly what happened.

Look at Hermida's road/home splits last season, they may have been the most dramatic in baseball. You put him in Citizens Bank and he is one of the best hitters in baseball.

I can't wait for the dead silence when Hermida hits .295 this season with 20 homers and a .370 OBP. It's gonna be so fun.

You won't get your wish.

Yea, because he'll only have 70 RBI and that's his fault.

And because everyone knew he was going to turn it around.

It's a good thing everyone was so patient with him... being young and dealing with those injuries and such.

I can't wait for the dead silence when Hermida hits .295 this season with 20 homers and a .370 OBP. It's gonna be so fun.

You won't get your wish.

Yea, because he'll only have 70 RBI and that's his fault.

And because everyone knew he was going to turn it around.

It's a good thing everyone was so patient with him... being young and dealing with those injuries and such.

Yeah, I knew trading for Manny would have been a bad idea.

Hermida's having a helluva spring, I have to say its been impressive. Along with Maybin's quiet assimilation into the fabric of the team, and hopefully another good season season from Cody we could wind up with a pretty productive outfield both offensively and defensively thanks to that simple move. And it looks like Carroll may be the fourth guy which isn't bad either. Not much has been said about how the outfield problems we had last season have been addressed.

Maybe the change of scenery Hermida needed to get his head into the game was simply from right to left field because if he can bring his A game this season it will be a major boost. Hopefully Fredi memory is short (for both Hermida's and Carroll's sake) and by-gones will be by-gones.

My concern is not Hermida's hitting. I know the guy can hit. My concern is his defense. Will he react well in left field? That is what people should be asking :mis2

Well Doctor, I think he's going to be just fine.

Seriously though, I think he's going to play just fine in left. It may take him a few series to open the season to get used to the Teal Tower, but once he figured that out he'll be ok. His range is going to be pretty impressive for a left fielder.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.