2nd hitter

Marlins97+03WC

I'm assuming Baker hits second versus righties. Who hits second when Paulino starts?

If it were me, I'd say Hermida.

This would be my lineup against lefties:

1. Maybin

2. Hermida

3. Ramirez

4. Cantu

5. Uggla

6. Ross

7. Paulino

8. Helms

Not that I can particularly come up with anything better... but I don't like Hermida in the 2 spot vs LHP in this type of situation.

if Bonifacio is starting, I'm sure him and maybe are #1 and #2 with how much fredi has talked about speed at the top of the lineup.

If he's not, and it's baker hitting #2 again, than Paulino is hitting #2. Remember when Alfredo was leading off, and when Cody started in place of Alfredo, Fredi than led Cody and his wonderful .316 OBP off? Fredi hates moving guys in the lineup. Helms always hitting where jacobs hitting. Cody hit where Amezaga hit. there's been some exceptions, but for the most part, Fredi has the same position hitting in the same spot regardless of the player at the position.

I don't like Hermida in the 2 spot ever.

When Hermida does what he's supposed to, he's arguably the second best hitter in our lineup, and that being said, can effectively bat anywhere. However, I think that the nature of the 2 spot with the whole "sacrifice and get 'em over" crap that's played there a lot is detrimental to Hermida.

But yeah, now that Rabb and Nny bring it up, why not Paulino

I wouldn't at all be opposed to batting Bonifacio 2nd instead of 8th. I would not take Maybin out of the leadoff spot for him though. He strikes out too much to bat second, and Bonifacio does a good job of putting the ball in play.

The only thing I wonder is, if you bat Bonifacio second, where's Baker go? He's an ideal #2 guy IMO, and I don't think they should move him from there anytime soon. With his patience, as well as Maybin's, Hanley's RBI totals could skyrocket. Although I guess you could say the same if Bonifacio were there, because he can put himself into scoring position a LOT.

If Hermida can keep this up he can hit anywhere in the lineup :brigginbounce

As for who leads off (and hence who follows), the Marlins have seen some success this spring with Bonifacio leading off and Maybin hitting ninth, ala Tony LaRussa. Batting Bonifacio eighth would be just suicidal. At this point I think he needs some protection to be productive.

In no particular order (other than how their names came to mind) I don't see any of the below being particularly handicapped by hitting ahead of the pitcher, and Maybin ninth with Bonifacio on deck.

hermida

cantu

uggla

ross

baker

ramirez

The only reason it is even within the realm of possibility is because, as I said, Fredi has already tried it.

i'd much rather have maybin leading off and emilio hitting 9th. Maybe should be the better all around hitter, better at getting o base, yadda. I personally like hitting guys 9th though, and Emilio would fit the mold extremely well. Being able to have another guy in front of Hanley is always great.

i'd much rather have maybin leading off and emilio hitting 9th. Maybe should be the better all around hitter, better at getting o base, yadda. I personally like hitting guys 9th though, and Emilio would fit the mold extremely well. Being able to have another guy in front of Hanley is always great.

You gonna have the pitcher hit 8th? Initially I would say Paulino should bat second, if Bonifacio improves his plate dicipline he could hit behind Maybin as well

You gonna have the pitcher hit 8th? Initially I would say Paulino should bat second, if Bonifacio improves his plate dicipline he could hit behind Maybin as well

Baker or Hermida need to bat 2 versus RHP for a myriad of reasons (plate discipline, overall hitting potential, high OBP potential, very high pitches per PA, lefties to split up the top 3, will go the other way, etc). It doesn't matter which one, but one of them has to be in that spot. I'd probably prefer Hermida as he has more slugging potential and is a better runner, but Baker is pretty awesome. Really can't go wrong either way. I'm guessing Baker gets first shot at it because he raked their last year and despite Hermida's awesome spring, Baker will be rewarded for the regular season performance.

Versus LHP, Paulino is actually a pretty good option in that spot. I am a big fan of front loading lineups vs LHP and sticking Paulino-Hanley 2-3, and then god willingly they move Ross to clean up against southpaws and then slot everyone behind that, would be a freaking serious top of the order versus southpaws.

I'm not making an argument for anything just observing that more than once Fredi (your dear friend, Eddie :brigginbounce ) batted Maybin ninth. I'd have to go back and see if those were games when the DH was employed or not, but the mere fact it was Maybin hitting in that spot is what caught my attention.

What it appeared to me to be was an attempt to get both speedsters at the top of the lineup for a looksee (after the first at bats of course) without having to move everyone else down (Baker, third, Hanley fourth, etc.) in the first inning. Could be other reasons as well but I'd go out on a limb and suggest maybe Maybin is perceived as more mature (even though younger) than Bonifacio who affirmatively wants to lead off and it was felt would accept the role better. God knows there's been enough players pass through here who took exception to lineup changes for their own reasons.

Speaking of Maybin what a nice spring he's had, just goes out and does his thing, almost invisibly. He's become part of the fabric of the team when not too many months ago pundits questioned whether he was yet truly ready for MLB at 21 (22 by Opening Day).

I'm sure all of you are talking about the odd day off Baker is getting. He is batting 2nd against righties and lefties. When Baker gets the odd day off or against a particularly tough lefty, Pualino will bat 8th. He is a slug and you don't want him clogging the bases. If you've read what Freddie has had to say on the subject you will come to the same conclusion. Bonifacio batting first and Maybin 8th works well for a number of reasons. It takes a lot of pressure off of Maybin. Bonifacio is a better base stealer than Maybin and if the majority of teams feature right handed pitchers Bonifacio is a better left handed hitter. Today's game had a perfect example of this. Bonaficio slices a double to left. Baker, pulls one in the first base hole and gets Bonifacio to third. Hanley sac fly gets him in. The more I watch this team the more excited I get. I wasn't a fan of the Olsen-Willingham trade, but I'm getting won over. If Maybin bats down in the order, it's just another stud the other team has to worry about and they don't get an inning to take a breath. Now I hope the Marlins give Gaby a chance to get some games in down in N.O. and McPherson is the backup 3b-1b.

No way do i want Maybin in the 8 hole. Ninth ok but if you put the pitcher behind him hes gonna struggle and rarely get pitches to hit.

I agree completely. That's really going to hurt him, where batting in the leadoff spot is going to help him dramatically. He's a 22-year-old rookie, you don't want to put him in that kind of situation, especially with the level of talent he has.

In the leadoff spot, I wouldn't doubt Maybin can match Hanley's '06 rookie numbers.

Bonifacio batting first and Maybin 8th works well for a number of reasons. It takes a lot of pressure off of Maybin. Bonifacio is a better base stealer than Maybin and if the majority of teams feature right handed pitchers Bonifacio is a better left handed hitter.

That's a horrible idea. I mean, shockingly bad. Do you really want Bonifacio to get about 150 more plate appearances a year than Maybin?

Bonifacio batting first and Maybin 8th works well for a number of reasons. It takes a lot of pressure off of Maybin. Bonifacio is a better base stealer than Maybin and if the majority of teams feature right handed pitchers Bonifacio is a better left handed hitter.

That's a horrible idea. I mean, shockingly bad. Do you really want Bonifacio to get about 150 more plate appearances a year than Maybin?

I certainly don't... I want my team to win

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.