4/14/2009 Florida Marlins vs Atlanta Braves game time 7:00pm

fact about today pitcher :Tuesday, April 14 Tickets Turner Field | 7:00 PM ET

FLA Chris Volstad, RHP (1-0, 1.80)

Marlins (5-1) @ ATL Javier Vazquez, RHP (0-0, 4.50)

Braves (5-1)

Scouting Report:

Marlins: During the series finale against the Nationals on Wednesday, Volstad's only troubles came in the first inning. That's when the 22-year-old right-hander gave up two runs -- one earned -- while throwing 27 pitches and getting behind five of the seven batters he faced. The rest of the way, however, Volstad looked as dominant as he did in the second half of last season. The Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., native went on to throw four no-hit frames thereafter while striking out seven batters -- a career-high -- and throwing 65 pitches. Volstad grew up a big Braves fan, and last season he went 0-1 with a 4.50 ERA in two starts against Atlanta.

Braves: Javier Vazquez limited the Phillies to three runs in six innings during a successful season debut that was ruined when his bullpen squandered a seven-run, seventh-inning lead on Wednesday. The veteran right-hander enjoyed a stellar March that was highlighted on March 14, when he limited Team USA to one run in five innings of a World Baseball Classic game. Vazquez, who was obtained in a December trade with the White Sox, has gone 5-4 with a 3.45 ERA in 11 starts at Turner Field. He hasn't faced the Marlins since 2005.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/probab...rs.jsp?c_id=fla

This game I think will probably be the easiest one of the series to take. Nothing against Vazquez, but tomorrow we get Lowe and after that its the Japanese pitcher that I don't think we really know much about.

We're going to win this one 6-3. Volstad gives up one in the fifth, one in the sixth. Bullpen holds nicely with one run allowed. We get 3 early runs on Vazquez in the second, one more in the fifth, and two off the bullpen in the 7th.

Homer by Chipper for ATL, two for the Marlins from Hanley and Uggla.

We're going to win this one 6-3. Volstad gives up one in the fifth, one in the sixth. Bullpen holds nicely with one run allowed. We get 3 early runs on Vazquez in the second, one more in the fifth, and two off the bullpen in the 7th.

how many sunflower seeds will Jorge Cantu eat?

how many sunflower seeds will Jorge Cantu eat?

So i wws looking at some of our hitters vs Javier and not many have faced him except for Gload who hitting 435 vs him over 23 ab's. I say give him a start.

Cody's struggling so it might be a good chance to do so.

Seems like a good match-up today... :gofish

welcome, I believe you are the first person to base their username on Bonaficio, hopefully one of the many in the future :)

a few things to be aware of before the series.

1. our pen is terrible, you probably heard about the disaster that was the 8 run 7th vs. the phillies last week. if you stay close through 6-7 innings, you have a good chance of winning the game with our 'throw balls all of the time' pen.

2. chipper jones has thumb problems and may not be playing tonight. i sure hope diaz is ready to go.

3. watch out for schafer, he's like our version of bonny (upstart rookie). plus, homeboys mccann and francoeur are doing better than last year, with mccann now slimmer and frenchy being more patient.

good luck and go braves.

Bonifacio + Hanley + Maybin + Amezaga = fastest ever lineup?

I think we might see a show tonight up against McCann...

and with Vazquez pitching, if we could get on base a lot today i would love to see Fredi let all our guys take off all game. I would've liked to see Fredi switch it up with the lineup and see what he can do with Cantu out, maybe putting Maybin in the 3 hole, Hanley in the 4 hole, etc... to utilize the speed, not really a fan of Gload batting so high, regardless of his average against guys like Vazquez