Possible Tropical system near Florida in coming weeks

Retro_Marlins25

As a Meteorologist, i am thrilled to alert you South Floridians of a possible tropical or subtropical system developing the gulf of mexico, in about 8-10 days.

Just keep an eye out for an early season storm brewing just offshore of southwest Florida in the coming weeks.Could bring good amounts of rain to the area.

:drunks

As a Meteorologist, i am thrilled to alert you South Floridians of a possible tropical or subtropical system developing the gulf of mexico, in about 8-10 days.

Just keep an eye out for an early season storm brewing just offshore of southwest Florida in the coming weeks.Could bring good amounts of rain to the area.

Are you a meteorologist like Bill Kamal or a meteorologist like Max Mayfield?

Or are you Bill Kamal?

Or are you Bill Kamal?

Maxy Mayfield

Not living in florida for 4 years now, I really miss the tropical storms, thunder and lightning n all that. And I know those storms that come out of the Gulf really slow movers that just dump tons of rain. The thunder and rain used to wake me up at 5 am, next thing you know im sweeping water from the porch.lol

haha, you made me look at accuweather.com to see if there is anything on their mind. During the season I subscribe to Joe Bastardi, and while he may be considered somewhat alarmist, he tries to back things up with his reasons. Anyway, I like the following from their site, basically saying nothing other than there may be less storms but then again a major storm cannot be ruled out. Duh, suffice to say, we all could forecast that a major hurricane can't be ruled out-that is why it is called "hurricane season".

"Atlantic hurricane season officially begins June 1. Pre-season tropical storms are rare, but not unheard of; such storms occurred in May 2007 and April 2003.

AccuWeather.com Chief Long-Range and Hurricane Forecaster Joe Bastardi has released an early hurricane season forecast for 2009 that will be updated in mid-May. It calls for fewer landfalls in the United States, as well as a lower overall number of named storms. However, storms may be more likely to form in the Atlantic Basin closer to the coast and the possibility of a major hurricane making landfall in the United States cannot be ruled out."

haha, you made me look at accuweather.com to see if there is anything on their mind. During the season I subscribe to Joe Bastardi, and while he may be considered somewhat alarmist, he tries to back things up with his reasons. Anyway, I like the following from their site, basically saying nothing other than there may be less storms but then again a major storm cannot be ruled out. Duh, suffice to say, we all could forecast that a major hurricane can't be ruled out-that is why it is called "hurricane season".

"Atlantic hurricane season officially begins June 1. Pre-season tropical storms are rare, but not unheard of; such storms occurred in May 2007 and April 2003.

AccuWeather.com Chief Long-Range and Hurricane Forecaster Joe Bastardi has released an early hurricane season forecast for 2009 that will be updated in mid-May. It calls for fewer landfalls in the United States, as well as a lower overall number of named storms. However, storms may be more likely to form in the Atlantic Basin closer to the coast and the possibility of a major hurricane making landfall in the United States cannot be ruled out."

You pay for accuweather?

There's much better sites around the net that are free and have more knowledgable trained mets, and certainly not alarmist a la Bastardi, as they're not selling anything.

In fact, I can already give you Bastardi's forecast. Once any storm forms, simply look at the various computer solutions. Then choose amongst Houston, New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, or New York. 1 of the 5 will be the center of Bastardi's projected target, and we'll be looking at a probable calamity.

I just saved you a lot of money.

Or are you Bill Kamal?

Maxy Mayfield

so you don't touch little boys?

You pay for accuweather?

There's much better sites around the net that are free and have more knowledgable trained mets, and certainly not alarmist a la Bastardi, as they're not selling anything.

In fact, I can already give you Bastardi's forecast. Once any storm forms, simply look at the various computer solutions. Then choose amongst Houston, New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, or New York. 1 of the 5 will be the center of Bastardi's projected target, and we'll be looking at a probable calamity.

I just saved you a lot of money.

Yea, every year about mid august, I sign up, get one free month and then pay for one or two and then cancel. Joe gets deep into stuff that is interesting. I don't always agree with his historic correlation, but he is the expert, I just like the meteorology from an amateur veiwpoint. Some of his comparisons to prior years is a stretch since older models missed a lot of important detail, but I do get a kick out of his stuff. Yet, I don't get the expensive package-I know he is big on selling his product for business applications. And I like being scared-like watching a sci fi movie. "Watch out Miami, you will be destroyed this year-maybe".

why do u sign up and pay? there are a million free sites that tell you the weather in great detail.

I have links to a lot of them. Just liked the stuff over there during hurricane season. Much more detail than the weather channel. Weather underground gives you all the tropical stuff, satellites, discussions etc and official forecasts-but they don't scare you with dire warnings of guaranteed doom. Just don't give our moderators any ideas about charging for the premium marlinsbaseball.com, like the Herald now charges for the sunday tv week if you want it delivered with the sunday paper.

I'm watching because my husband has not tested out our generator since last hurricane season. Guess he needs to get off his tuchas and clean it out.

Now is the time though, to inventory what supplies you need for this hurricane season, which doesn't officially start until June 1st. That means that we won't get any storm we need to worry about before June 1st. :mis2

I'm watching because my husband has not tested out our generator since last hurricane season. Guess he needs to get off his tuchas and clean it out.

Now is the time though, to inventory what supplies you need for this hurricane season, which doesn't officially start until June 1st. That means that we won't get any storm we need to worry about before June 1st. :mis2

:lol

That's the first time I've seen the word tuchas on a message board.

Good advice :thumbup

2009 Atlantic Tropical Cyclone Names & Pronunciation Guide

Andrea

Barry

Chantal shan-TAHL

Dean

Erin AIR-in

Felix FEEL-ix

Gabrielle ga-bree-EL

Humberto oom-BAIR-to

Ingrid

Jerry

Karen

Lorenzo

Melissa

Noel NOL

Olga

Pablo PA-blow

Rebekah

Sebastien say-BAS-tyan

Tanya TAHN-ya

Van

Wendy

We should start a poll to see on what day the first named storm of this season will be?

Any good poll makers out there? No- not poll dancers!!!

I should probably test out generator as well.

For us seasoned Hurricane storm troopers and for those who are new to the area, I'm starting a list of must haves for your hurricane kit.

Seeing as how I've lived in the South Florida (Miami & Pembroke Pines) area for the past 51 years, "Take me home momma and put me to bed. I have seen enough to know I have seen too much." (*nod to A League of Their Own)

Since I have a family of 5 to care for, I suggest getting enough of these supplies to last 2 weeks. Some say 3 days and some say up to 2 weeks. We are lucky to live where we do in Pembroke Pines because we are on the same grid as the Police & Fire Dept., which have the same priority as hospitals.

Still, I feel better being over prepared than under prepared.

My hot list:

Manual can opener

Canned goods

Baby wipes

Paper plates

Paper towels/Napkins

Paper cups

Plastic silverware

A well stocked first aid kit

Water

Juice Boxes

Purell or other hand sanitizer

Powdered milk or Pharm-a-lot (what I call Hurricane milk)

Clorox bleach- and print out how many drops you need to sterilize a gallon of water.

Gas generator, if you can afford it

Plastic gas cans 3-4 five gallon jugs

Visqueen or big plastic tarps and tie downs

Duct tape

Batteries

Battery operated weather radio

Battery operated TV?

Extra electrical power strips

Battery powered cell phone chargers

Flashlights -- NOT CANDLES!!!!

Any necessary feminine products

*diapers & other baby stuff (if necessary)

*pet food (if necessary)

Non-essentials:

Playing cards

board games for the kids

Individually packaged snacks/chips & other non-perishable food items

Beer :-)

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL:

At least a 5 day supply of any medications you take on a regular basis. You can ask your doctor for an emergency refill when you see a storm on the way.

Take photos of every room in your home/apt. Print them out and briefly note the age, approx. value & condition of the items. Don't leave any room out- and don't forget your closet & garage. Don't forget your jewelery & collectibles. Take photos of your car/motorcycle/other modes of transportation. Note the age, approx value & condition. Place all photos in a zip lock bag in case you need it for insurance purposes.

Request a copy of your homeowner's & automobile policy and Wind coverage (if you have it) Place these copies in a zip lock bag.

Print out any important information from your computer- credit card contact info, etc. Place these items in a zip lock bag.

Make a copy of important documents you have in your bank safe deposit box. Marriage certificates, birth certificates, citizenship papers,etc. If you have a passport, put that into a zip lock bag as well.

I usually make a small suitcase for each family member with 2 changes of clothes & the one I have for myself contains all the zip lock bags with the essential information in them. This way, in case you need to leave your home in a hurry, you're packed and ready to go.

Feel free to add/delete/modify.

Hack awaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.