Cameron Maybin AAA Thread

I just felt that this thread was necessary, because I'm sure we're all anxiously tracking Maybin's stats in NOLA. Tonight, he's 1/2 with 1HR and 2RBI. He's hitting .293 on the season. The home run tonight is the first of the season for him in AAA. Hopefully the .293 average will rise...that's all I really care about right now is that his average increases, b/c the Marlins could really use a consistent hitting Maybin in their lineup.

I think that it's not just gonna be about the numbers with Maybin. There are things he needs to learn at that level before he gets exposed again in the majors. And to those just watching Maybin's Avg., I'd actually be very concerned with the power numbers he's putting up (not necessarily his homers). An absolute red flag for me with Maybin has always been that despite his frame and raw power he is a ground ball hitter. A lot of his value is based on his projectability and developing the ability to use his his strength to elevate the ball and produce power. And yet he simply doesn't do that enough yet to really make him half as valuable as his prospect value would indicate.

Right now he is slugging under .400 in the minors. We don't need him to be churning out thirty homer seasons in the majors right away but he is never going to get anywhere close to being more than an over-hyped toolsy outfielder until he makes some refinements at the plate. Until he does, why bring him up to the majors and just get token production from him, especially with Coghlan developing very nicely? Barring a major injury or trade, I don't see the organization bringing him up any time soon.

I think that it's not just gonna be about the numbers with Maybin. There are things he needs to learn at that level before he gets exposed again in the majors. And to those just watching Maybin's Avg., I'd actually be very concerned with the power numbers he's putting up (not necessarily his homers). An absolute red flag for me with Maybin has always been that despite his frame and raw power he is a ground ball hitter. A lot of his value is based on his projectability and developing the ability to use his his strength to elevate the ball and produce power. And yet he simply doesn't do that enough yet to really make him half as valuable as his prospect value would indicate.

Right now he is slugging under .400 in the minors. We don't need him to be churning out thirty homer seasons in the majors right away but he is never going to get anywhere close to being more than an over-hyped toolsy outfielder until he makes some refinements at the plate. Until he does, why bring him up to the majors and just get token production from him, especially with Coghlan developing very nicely? Barring a major injury or trade, I don't see the organization bringing him up any time soon.

Something I noticed in his swing while he was up is he really uses his wrists when hitting. While it makes hit bat real quick he seems to roll over balls with his top hand causing ground balls.

Maybin is now hitting .293 in AAA ... hope he continues to hit

http://web.minorleag...=g_box&did=milb

.293 in the PCL is like hitting .240 in the majors...I am more worried about the K's than anything else

The lack of slugging doesn't concern you? K's worry me far less because they are easier to fix than a flawed swing. I agree with what was said above about Maybin's tendency to roll over on groundballs with that top hand. I noticed it back in September but it wasn't emphasized as much because he was getting base hits (several of which were infield hits). His swing doesn't seem to have the kind of "loft" that a guy with his power potential should have.

He needs to make the necessary adjustments in AAA and have a consistent stretch of slugging. Right now, with the team's unwillingness to move Bonifacio out of a starting role, I highly doubt the're going to call up Maybin out of necessity.

Playing in NOLA means half their games are being played at six feet above sea level, this is not albuquerque. Also being the division they are in and because of their location half their remaining games are played in the eastern half of the country (see the PCL division lineups - the PCL stopped being the PCL a long time ago)so when you look at their schedule that means only about a quarter of their games are potentially played in that part of the country we think of when we think of the old PCL with mile high playing fields and hot dry air.

My point being that the old thinking when the fish were in albuquerque doesn't apply any longer when looking at player stats.

Maybin is now hitting .293 in AAA ... hope he continues to hit

http://web.minorleag...=g_box&did=milb

.293 in the PCL is like hitting .240 in the majors...I am more worried about the K's than anything else

The lack of slugging doesn't concern you? K's worry me far less because they are easier to fix than a flawed swing. I agree with what was said above about Maybin's tendency to roll over on groundballs with that top hand. I noticed it back in September but it wasn't emphasized as much because he was getting base hits (several of which were infield hits). His swing doesn't seem to have the kind of "loft" that a guy with his power potential should have.

He needs to make the necessary adjustments in AAA and have a consistent stretch of slugging. Right now, with the team's unwillingness to move Bonifacio out of a starting role, I highly doubt the're going to call up Maybin out of necessity.

He's also King a good rate, less than 16% of the time. It's everything else that he's doing that's troublesome (besides hitting for average)