2009-2010 Club Soccer Thread

Ok, the last matches in Europe are winding down. Is it too early to talk transfers and signings? No of course not. Already Xabi Alonso on loan to Real Madrid, Diego to Juventus, Marcelo Moreno to Werder. Ancellotti leaving Milan to manage at Chelsea? Fun stuff.

Also time to focus on football in the Americas. Brazil Seria A , MLS and the Argentine Clausura are underway and Puma just won the Mexican Clausura Playoff. Good stuff still happening in professional soccer.

• 2 weeks later...

It is ridiculous how Madrid have signed Kaka and most likely Ronaldo in the space of a week with Villa likely to follow soon. I think there may be a shift in power from the English Premiership to La Liga with Barcelona's CL win and now these high profile transfers.

One thing I will say regarding Man Utd - Fergie rarely gets it wrong - if a player isnt willing to commit 100% for the team he will soon move him on, for example Jaap Stam and Ruud Van Nistelrooy. With the money I expect Man Utd to sign Karim Benzema from Lyon, Antonio Valencia from Wigan and an outside chance of Frank Ribery from Bayern.

You may be right about the premiership although I think there is more parity top to bottom in the EPL than there is in La Liga and it's only going to get more lopsided with Real and Barca making these moves. ManUnited may be thinking about Ribery but Florentino Perez has already said he was targeting him as well.

I've gotten really into Soccer the last couple months. If you give it a chance and really sit down to watch it, it's a pretty good sport. Not much scoring but lots of action.

I'm gonna start following MLS. I've been trying to think of a team I should choose to be a fan of. I think I'm gonna go with Colorado. I don't want to be one of those guys that starts watching a sport and picks the best team just because they are the best. Colorado is solid but not great.

I've gotten really into Soccer the last couple months. If you give it a chance and really sit down to watch it, it's a pretty good sport. Not much scoring but lots of action.

I'm gonna start following MLS. I've been trying to think of a team I should choose to be a fan of. I think I'm gonna go with Colorado. I don't want to be one of those guys that starts watching a sport and picks the best team just because they are the best. Colorado is solid but not great.

I follow the Red Bulls because they're on tv here, but I like watching the Sounders when they're on national tv. Great fanbase, great ownership, and some real exciting players.

I thought about the Red Bulls but I can't bring myself to root for a New York team in any sport.

I watched the DC United and Seattle game last night. I love Seattle's uniforms.

There's no star players in MLS who went to college at UNM and no team in New Mexico so it was hard for me to choose. I love the state of Colorado and the name "Rapids". If New Mexico ever gets a team I'll flip to them.

does anyone know about edin dzeko going to chelsea or ac milan. i heard both teams wanted him. this guy is a stud and is going to help bosnia qualify for the world cup, hopefully.

EDIT: nevermind i just looked it up and it seems that milan has agreed to terms with him. now they just need to convince his old club to sell him.

did anyone else see the egypt-italy game. that was a really good game and egypt played hard our there, they deserved the win. i'm really impressed by their goalkeeper.

Yeah that was a stunner. Egypt played well against Brazil too. Sets up a good match with Brazil/Italy on Sunday.

As for Ibrahimovic, I think he wants to play at Barca rather than Madrid. No way he will share the spotlight with Ronaldo. Messi maybe but not Ronaldo. Besides Ibrahimovic is too ugly to play for Real Madrid.

I thought about the Red Bulls but I can't bring myself to root for a New York team in any sport.

I watched the DC United and Seattle game last night. I love Seattle's uniforms.

There's no star players in MLS who went to college at UNM and no team in New Mexico so it was hard for me to choose. I love the state of Colorado and the name "Rapids". If New Mexico ever gets a team I'll flip to them.

As long as you have a team to follow it will make it more interesting. I've always kind of liked DC United although they sucked last year. You have to like the uniforms of whoever you root for. But if your just getting into soccer as a fan you definitely have to watch European soccer. It's much more entertaining and exciting IMO.

did anyone else see the egypt-italy game. that was a really good game and egypt played hard our there, they deserved the win. i'm really impressed by their goalkeeper.

Yeah that was a stunner. Egypt played well against Brazil too. Sets up a good match with Brazil/Italy on Sunday.

As for Ibrahimovic, I think he wants to play at Barca rather than Madrid. No way he will share the spotlight with Ronaldo. Messi maybe but not Ronaldo. Besides Ibrahimovic is too ugly to play for Real Madrid.

i agree, that is going to be a good game and i'm going to be glued to the tv. although i'm an ibrahimovic fan, he seems self-centered and wants all the spot light. i'm not sure if this was sweden's national team coach or inter's coach but wasn't one of them having problems with ibrahimovic's attitude. still a great player though

i agree, that is going to be a good game and i'm going to be glued to the tv. although i'm an ibrahimovic fan, he seems self-centered and wants all the spot light. i'm not sure if this was sweden's national team coach or inter's coach but wasn't one of them having problems with ibrahimovic's attitude. still a great player though

I will admit I never watch Serie A matches so I don't know what Ibrahimovic is like on a weekly basis, but on the numerous times I've watched Inter on the big stage, the Champions League, he has been absolutely useless. It baffles me how people are saying he is valued at ?80m.

I will admit I never watch Serie A matches so I don't know what Ibrahimovic is like on a weekly basis, but on the numerous times I've watched Inter on the big stage, the Champions League, he has been absolutely useless. It baffles me how people are saying he is valued at ?80m.

I don't think he had problems with Mourhinho. I think it was the Swedish national manager.

I watched alot of Serie A this year and the thing about Ibrahimovic is that he has a surly attitude most of the time but he's absolutely dangerous with the ball. Not only does he have incredible reach but for a tall lanky guy he has amazing body control and a devastating shot. I too was a skeptic at first and never liked him because of his attitude but after watching him I believe he is a top five player.

I will admit I never watch Serie A matches so I don't know what Ibrahimovic is like on a weekly basis, but on the numerous times I've watched Inter on the big stage, the Champions League, he has been absolutely useless. It baffles me how people are saying he is valued at £80m.

I don't think he had problems with Mourhinho. I think it was the Swedish national manager.

I watched alot of Serie A this year and the thing about Ibrahimovic is that he has a surly attitude most of the time but he's absolutely dangerous with the ball. Not only does he have incredible reach but for a tall lanky guy he has amazing body control and a devastating shot. I too was a skeptic at first and never liked him because of his attitude but after watching him I believe he is a top five player.

yup, your right. i looked it up and i think this might be what happened to cause the tension between ibrahimovic and the swedish coach.

He was called up for a Euro 2008 qualifier against Liechtenstein on 6 September 2006, but two days before the match, he violated team curfew by leaving the hotel with teammates Christian Wilhelmsson and Olof Mellberg and visiting a nightclub. Though none of the players consumed any alcohol, they were nonetheless all sent home by coach Lars Lagerbäck as punishment and did not take part in the match. Mellberg and Wilhelmsson did not appeal the coach's decision, but Ibrahimović felt that it was unjust and therefore refused to take part in Sweden's next qualifiers against Iceland and Spain. He also skipped a friendly against Egypt on 7 February 2007, but ended his self-imposed boycott a month later,[15] and returned for Sweden's loss to Northern Ireland on 28 March. He went scoreless in all 12 qualifying matches; his one goal was disallowed for offside in a 3-0 loss to Spain on 17 November. On 12 November 2007, Ibrahimović was awarded the 2007 Swedish Golden Ball as the "Country's Top Player of the Year."

if ibrahimovic was smart, he'd play for bosnia instead of sweden, and then dzeko and he would be a crazy duo.

that was a good PK save from south africa's goalkeeper but the save from the rebound was even more impressive. too bad david villa scored a goal like a couple seconds later.

those horns the audience is blowing is really getting on my nerves. they better not allow those during the world cup.

According to FIFA they don't want to be seen as trying to "Europeanize" African soccer before the World Cup, so they have no intention of banning the "vuvuzela" for now, although I agree they are extremely annoying.

that was a good PK save from south africa's goalkeeper but the save from the rebound was even more impressive. too bad david villa scored a goal like a couple seconds later.

those horns the audience is blowing is really getting on my nerves. they better not allow those during the world cup.

According to FIFA they don't want to be seen as trying to "Europeanize" African soccer before the World Cup, so they have no intention of banning the "vuvuzela" for now, although I agree they are extremely annoying.

it's annoying watching the game and hearing the buzzing so i can't imagine how annoyed the coaches and players get. during yesterday's game the commentators said that coaches were complaining about the noise.

Everyone point and laugh at Italy

that was truly pathetic. it didn't even seem like they were trying to play. brazil wouldn't even let italy get the ball past half the field. they would just turn it over and brazil would get another scoring opportunity. i don't know what surprised me more, USA's offensive output on Egypt or Italy's performance in the confederations cup.