2009-2010 Club Soccer Thread

Wow what a day in the Champions League. Barcelona stunned by FK Rubin. Liverpool falls to Lyon. And Schnellders...What happened at Ibrox?.. Rangers lose 4-1 to Unirea?..I don't even know where that is!

Our team is so bad just now. No pace or skill at all in our attacks. We had a penalty saved in the 1st half, which would of put us up 2-1 and probably led us to victory. Considering our last 2 performances we have no chance of qualifying, however if we get our act together I still think we could.

Both Rangers and Celtic were competitive in Europe until the last year or 2, as for some reason the gulf in class has widened. The quality of Scottish football today is appalling. Ultimately it boils down to the financial side of the game. Rangers and Celtic get roughly £2m per season for our league's television deal, whereas in the English Premiership, teams are guaranteed £18m, with Man Utd earning £25m last season.

Wow what a day in the Champions League. Barcelona stunned by FK Rubin. Liverpool falls to Lyon. And Schnellders...What happened at Ibrox?.. Rangers lose 4-1 to Unirea?..I don't even know where that is!

Our team is so bad just now. No pace or skill at all in our attacks. We had a penalty saved in the 1st half, which would of put us up 2-1 and probably led us to victory. Considering our last 2 performances we have no chance of qualifying, however if we get our act together I still think we could.

Both Rangers and Celtic were competitive in Europe until the last year or 2, as for some reason the gulf in class has widened. The quality of Scottish football today is appalling. Ultimately it boils down to the financial side of the game. Rangers and Celtic get roughly £2m per season for our league's television deal, whereas in the English Premiership, teams are guaranteed £18m, with Man Utd earning £25m last season.

Have they ever considered having a United Kingdom League? Seems like it might help strengthen British football in general. I don't know.

Another upset today as AC Milan (coming off of a victory over my Giallorossi) defeats Real Madrid at the Bernabeu no less. And Bordeaux beats a struggling Munich team (not really an upset but you have to feel for the Bayern fans).

A UK league no? But there has been talks in the past, especially the past 2 or 3 weeks about the possibility of Rangers and Celtic joining the English Premierleague, or the creation of a new format of Premierleague. This would benefit the Glasgow teams financially, and considering they already have big modern stadiums and worldwide fan bases, they could challenge for the top 6 within a couple of years. However if they left the Scottish leagues, football here would wither and die slowfully. There would be very little interest in our leagues.

Another idea that has been discussed is an Atlantic League, featuring the top teams from nations such as Scotland, Holland, Belgium, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark and Norway. I don't like this idea so much as it kind of defeats the purpose of the Champions League.

I watched the Real-AC match and it was thoroughly entertaining, with a couple of goalkeeping blunders from Casillas and Dida. Ronaldinho showed a few glimpses of the stuff he used to do on a regular basis which brought back some memories of his heroic performance for Barcelona at the Bernabeu, when the Madrid fans actually gave a member of their most hated rivals a standing ovation.

Real Madrid travels to face my favorite little underdog team Sporting de Gijon (where my maternal family is from). I hope they keep it close but the Merengues are sure to be pi$$ed after losing to Milan this week. Sporting has had a nice start to this season after just getting promoted last year and barely staying up.

Manchester United meets Liverpool tomorrow. Michael Owen will get a not so warm reception I'm betting. Liverpool needs to right the ship but without Gerrard or Torres I don't think it will happen this Sunday even if Rooney sits. I think Benitez will be gone soon.

Latest reports are that Torres will play I think. Even so, I expect Man Utd to win by a goal. The problem with Liverpool is that they are just so reliant on Gerrard and Torres. Without them they are hopeless. Guys like Riera, Babel, Lucas and Voronin are not good enough to play for a "top 4" club like Liverpool.

Real Madrid travels to face my favorite little underdog team Sporting de Gijon (where my maternal family is from). I hope they keep it close but the Merengues are sure to be pi$$ed after losing to Milan this week. Sporting has had a nice start to this season after just getting promoted last year and barely staying up.

:cheers Sporting and Real Madrid in a 0-0 draw. A moral victory for the Asturians. They definitely outlpayed Real Madrid in the first half and held their own.

Manchester United meets Liverpool tomorrow. Michael Owen will get a not so warm reception I'm betting. Liverpool needs to right the ship but without Gerrard or Torres I don't think it will happen this Sunday even if Rooney sits. I think Benitez will be gone soon.

Latest reports are that Torres will play I think. Even so, I expect Man Utd to win by a goal. The problem with Liverpool is that they are just so reliant on Gerrard and Torres. Without them they are hopeless. Guys like Riera, Babel, Lucas and Voronin are not good enough to play for a "top 4" club like Liverpool.

Well I'm pissed. I lost my feed of the game and it looks like it was an exciting one as Liverpool pulls it out 2-0. Torres comes back and lifts his club with the deciding goal. Hopefully that will turn their season around. Benitez is safe for now it seams.

MLS playoffs begin Thursday. The West gets the extra playoff spot for the first time since the points-based wild card system was employed in 2007. Interestingly enough, a conference 5th has made it to the conference finals each of the previous two years. The Kansas City Wizards, as E5 in 2007, shocked Chivas in the semis but lost to Houston in the conference final. Red Bull, as E5 last year, beat both Houston in the semis and Salt Lake in the conference final to win the Western Conference championship.

This year, Real Salt Lake, as W5, will participate as the 4th seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

The conference semifinal rounds are home-and-away ties.

Columbus Crew (E1) v. Real Salt Lake (E4/W5) will begin at Rio Tinto Stadium Saturday night at 6pm EDT. They will play in Columbus on Thursday, November 5, time TBD.

Chicago Fire (E2) v. New England Revolution (E3) will begin at Gillette Stadium Saturday afternoon at 4pm EDT. They will play in Chicago on Saturday, November 7, at 8:30pm EST.

Los Angeles Galaxy (W1) v. C.D. Chivas USA (W4) will begin Sunday evening at 5pm EST. The second tie will be Sunday, November 8, at 7:30pm EST. Both games at the Home Depot Center, since they share a stadium. The first will be the Chivas home game, the second will be the Galaxy home game.

Houston Dynamo (W2) vs. Seattle Sounders (W3) will begin at Qwest Field Thursday evening at 10pm EDT. They will play in Houston on Sunday, November 8, at 4pm EST.

The MLS Cup participants will get berths in the 2010-11 CONCACAF Champions League. The MLS Cup champ goes to the group stage, while the runner-up would go to the playoff round. If Columbus or Seattle, who have already qualified, go to the MLS Cup in Seattle (which would make Seattle the third MLS Cup home team ever, first since New England in 2002), here's how their berths would fall:

If Columbus goes to the MLS Cup and wins, their Supporters' Shield berth to the 2010-11 group stage will go to the LA Galaxy. If the LA Galaxy also make the MLS Cup, then the Supporters' Shield berth goes to the Houston Dynamo.

If Columbus goes to the MLS Cup and loses, their MLS Cup runner-up berth to the 2010-11 playoff round will go to the LA Galaxy. If the LA Galaxy also make the MLS Cup, then the MLS Cup runner-up berth goes to the Houston Dynamo.

If Seattle goes to the MLS Cup, win or lose, their Open Cup berth to the 2010-11 playoff round will go to the LA Galaxy if the Crew fail to reach the MLS Cup, and the Houston Dynamo if the Crew do make the MLS Cup.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Damarcus Beasley scored with a sensational strike for my lot on Tuesday night in a 3-0 win.

Thats good. I would like to see him regain his form for the World Cup. His international carreer for the US has been inconsistent at best and even embarassing at times.

He has barely played for Rangers in the past year but has started the last 3 games, and should get a few more games based on his form in the last couple. Maurice Edu is due back from injury any time now aswell.