Hmmm Robert Andino.... Emilio Bonifacio ? Huh

Ya'll know that I love Andino, but here's the truth

Andino, .241 BA, .280 OBP, .578 OPS

Bonifacio- .244 BA, .289 OBP, .584 OPS

yes Bonifacio plays a lot more than Andino, but when you look at it, Bonifacio is not that much different than Andino, only the fact that Andino is a slightly better 3rd baseman.

Andino is just as bad as Bonifacio.

I think you just started this thread because you saw Andino was #1 on Baseball Tonight's Web Gems.

Lol, so true.

I'm saying though.. Olsen & Ham could of still been here... Ham @ 1st Base and Cantu @ 3rd with Andino on the bench

I would have hoped all of these Andino supporters would have let it go after the Marlins traded him.

Statistically Andino is no better than Bonifacio is.

He has a point though, in that we already has Bonifacio in Andino, so why trade for Bonifacio.

Bonfiacio probably is slightly better and more potential because of his speed but Andino is also a lot better defender.

Something to remember though is we did not trade hammer and olsen for just bonifacio. One of the other guys we got, a 2nd base prospect name Jake Smolinski, is lighting up Greensboro.

we already ha[d] Bonifacio in Andino, so why trade for Bonifacio

Not to mention that Andino was the only guy on the bench able to bury his finger in his nose up to the second knuckle, and do it on-camera. Pure class and a great loss to the team.

:lol

But, you're right. And, right that it's a good thing that Smolinski was also part of the deal. Doing much better than Skipworth, offensively.

AB H 2B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

117 32 7 6 19 18 19 .274 .375 .487 .862

When the season started Bonefacio and Amezaga had made the team and there was no room on the 25 man roster for Andino as a backup infielder. Since he was out of options (we could not send him back to the minors without exposing him to other teams)we had to trade him in order to get something for him.

In the Olsen deal the Marlins got rid of a 31-37 pitcher with a potential high salary and an explosive personality that could easily be replaced with a less controversial, better, younger, cheaper arm.

I think Josh Willingham's back is the reason he was traded. He couldn't be counted upon to be productive for an entire season and his salary was also rising. The Marlins were also counting on Maybin being ready for prime-time and the outfield was set switching Hermida to left and Cody in right.

I would have hoped all of these Andino supporters would have let it go after the Marlins traded him.

He has a point though, in that we already has Bonifacio in Andino, so why trade for Bonifacio.

Bonfiacio probably is slightly better and more potential because of his speed but Andino is also a lot better defender.

Something to remember though is we did not trade hammer and olsen for just bonifacio. One of the other guys we got, a 2nd base prospect name Jake Smolinski, is lighting up Greensboro.

Absolutely, that was a sleeper part of the deal. He's a very promising hitter.

I fully recognize the point he is try to make but I think it comes off as a bit short-sighted.

While Bonifacio's MLB career leading into 2009 is less than admirable, I certainly think that the Marlins needed to acquire someone via trade to play infield. Mike Jacobs had departed as well, moving Cantu to first meaning that there was an opening at third base.

Any smart team acquires someone instead of automatically giving Robert Andino the job by default despite the fact that he has been terrible throughout his MLB career and has only hit decently in MILB after spending several seasons in AAA.

Is it a tad bit ironic that Bonifacio's season is about the same as Andino's? I suppose so, but it would have been foolish for the Marlins to stick with the guy with not only terrible career numbers but also no options and a terrible spring.

However, I do think Beinfest made a mistake by billing Bonifacio has "his guy."

I fully recognize the point he is try to make but I think it comes off as a bit short-sighted.

While Bonifacio's MLB career leading into 2009 is less than admirable, I certainly think that the Marlins needed to acquire someone via trade to play infield. Mike Jacobs had departed as well, moving Cantu to first meaning that there was an opening at third base.

Any smart team acquires someone instead of automatically giving Robert Andino the job by default despite the fact that he has been terrible throughout his MLB career and has only hit decently in MILB after spending several seasons in AAA.

Is it a tad bit ironic that Bonifacio's season is about the same as Andino's? I suppose so, but it would have been foolish for the Marlins to stick with the guy with not only terrible career numbers but also no options and a terrible spring.

However, I do think Beinfest made a mistake by billing Bonifacio has "his guy."

Agree with all of the above.

Only in the dreams of Andino fans was he going to be in running for the 3B job. He had failed to win a bench spot 3 years running. He wasn't expected to compete for a starting spot.

While weird things happen, Bonifacio had a future and some talent. He was better than Andino by every measure. Better minor league career (Only once did Andino ever post a AVG or OBP higher than Emilio's career line, and that was in his third full year in Albuquerque at AAA). Better projections (ZIPs projected Andino to post a AVG and OBP 30 points south of EB). Better spring training (RA hit in the .230s for the O's.)

Was it worth trading Olsen and Willingham for? No, but my opinion on that has very little to do with EB or RA. That is about giving away JW and SO. Had we traded JW and SO for RA, I wouldn't have complained any more or less.

And finally, congratulations to Andino for taking advantage of the Izturis situation. There's plenty of weak-hitting average-defending infielders that make it onto the benches of teams. Why shouldn't one of those be him?

There's not any measure that would have said Andino was a better option than Bonifacio after ST. And it's not that Boni was really impressive, but he at least looked somewhat competent in ST while Andino was playing his way off the team (which was bound to happen anyway).

There were so many options out there besides Bonifacio that it is ridiculous we started the season with him at third. But Andino was never one of them.