Who would you want to manage the team?

gizmo

If Fredi is such a poor manager, why were we excited going into this series? Why were we in second place? Were we really winning despite him and our offensive (another area of concern on these boards, though one much more tangible)?

Not saying Fredi doesn't make dumb moves. But all managers do. There isn't a readily apparent magic bullet manager out there that for sure can improve this team. There are bigger problems with this team than the guy who sits in the dugout for most of the game.

If Fredi is such a poor manager, why were we excited going into this series? Why were we in second place? Were we really winning despite him and our offensive (another area of concern on these boards, though one much more tangible)?

Because the NL East has been bad/mediocre, thus giving some people hope that the Phillies in particular would allow the Marlins to hang around. It has nothing to do with the Marlins being an actual playoff contender.

The Phillies have single-handedly spoiled our playoff chances every year since 2006 (cept 07 because we were way out of it that year). And I just don't understand why people think that a bunch of hacks (plus Hanley) are really gonna be able to somehow come out on top of guys like Howard & Utley.

Because the NL East has been bad/mediocre, thus giving some people hope that the Phillies in particular would allow the Marlins to hang around. It has nothing to do with the Marlins being an actual playoff contender.

See other thread :shifty , but do you think that if we had Manager X at the beginning of the season and the Manager being the only variable that changes, we would be running away with the division?

Or is Fredi just a minor part of a bigger problem?

See other thread :shifty , but do you think that if we had Manager X at the beginning of the season and the Manager being the only variable that changes, we would be running away with the division?

It's certainly possible that the team could be BETTER with a BETTER manager who knows what they are doing. I'm not looking at just this year. I fear for the future with this guy in charge. I fear for the development of our potential future stars.

I answered this question in the other thread I created.

...Me.

I'm not going to complain about things (especially a manager...a role I've stated I thought was overrated before) just to complain.

The reason I complained is simple.

I believe I can manage this team better.

So if anyone knows anyone in the front office, you tell them there's an 18 year old idiot who thinks he can do what Fredi Gonzalez does...and better. This isn't a joke.

It's certainly possible that the team could be BETTER with a BETTER manager who knows what they are doing. I'm not looking at just this year. I fear for the future with this guy in charge. I fear for the development of our potential future stars.

The team could also possibly be better with a proven hitter or pitcher.

And how does Fredi hinder development of potential future stars? He isn't involved in the minor leagues and he seems to stick with guys, as long as they are on the 25 man roster. Heck, he even has given Brett Carroll some time after benching him for a few years. Seems like he is learning and has already given time for some players to develop.

The only place Fredi may actively hinder his players is the bullpen. But I would hardly call anyone on our team or in our system potential future bullpen stars.

The manager's job is to impart knowledge to his players. Its one thing to fail at physical aspects of the game, such as getting a hit. Its another thing to be beaten by Jamie Moyer so many times because the hitters are TOLD BY THE HITTING COACH (obviously with Fredi's blessing) not to change their approach.

The manager's job is to impart knowledge to his players. Its one thing to fail at physical aspects of the game, such as getting a hit. Its another thing to be beaten by Jamie Moyer so many times because the hitters are TOLD BY THE HITTING COACH (obviously with Fredi's blessing) not to change their approach.

Fredi is ultimately accountable for his staff, but they don't necessarily have to jive with his philosophy or rather, he can make suggestions, but it is up to the coaches to act on that. And remember, the FO wanted Wiley to be pitching coach. I am sure Fredi likes Wiley, but he didn't choose him, so who knows how they operate together. I don't remember if Fredi personally choose Presley either. But even if he did, the hitting coach or pitching coach are the first lines in their respective fronts. Fredi can tell Presley to help adjust the hitters to Moyer type pitchers, but it is up to Presley to do that. That isn't Fredi giving Presley his blessing, that is Presley failing at his job. Maybe that's what is going on. You don't fire a manager and keep the hitting coach based solely on a poor offensive. This isn't football where the head coach can also run the offense and hence be directly to blame for its shortcomings.

Think of it this way: you have generals and divsional lieutants. The generals give orders to the lieutants, but it is up to the lieutants to carry them out, or even is some cases, are left on their own to strategize, and if their divisions fail, you first look to the lieutants, not the generals. The generals themselves may be unable to punish lieutants. We don't have the pleasure of knowing what goes on behind the clubhouse doors, Fredi may be ripping into Presley, but Fredi can't fire Presley, that's the FO's decision, and Fredi can talk (or not) about how players should adjust, but it is up to Presley to carry that out and work with the players on an individual basis.

The manager's job is to put his team in the best position to win.

Something Fredi has failed to do several times this year...tonight, he just took it to another level of stupidity.

Something Fredi has failed to do several times this year...tonight, he just took it to another level of stupidity.

Everyone is still overlooking the main problem. We had two runners on with no outs in the ninth and didn't score when it would have ended the game. Doesn't anyone else see a problem with that?

Everyone is still overlooking the main problem. We had two runners on with no outs in the ninth and didn't score when it would have ended the game. Doesn't anyone else see a problem with that?

In baseball, you fail 70% of the time and you're still a good hitter.

In baseball, when you walk a career .620 .OPS guy intentionally to face an All-Star, you are considered retarded.

That's the difference.

Hitters fail more often than not. The Phillies left a man at 1st and 3rd with 1 out in the top half...you don't see their manager increasing his opponents chances to win the ballgame, do you?

In baseball, when you walk a career .620 .OPS guy intentionally to face an All-Star, you are considered retarded.

That's the difference.

Hitters fail more often than not. The Phillies left a man at 1st and 3rd with 1 out in the top half...you don't see their manager increasing his opponents chances to win the ballgame, do you?

Let's say the top of the 12th inning still goes down as it did. Marlins enter the bottom of the 12th down two runs. The side goes down in order (allowing for us to have good hitters that fail 70% of the time). Is Fredi still to blame for the loss? Do the other reasons why we lost come into greater focus?

Or rather, let's say the top of the 12th happens differently, and Werth's single scores the only run (somehow). We tie it in the bottom half. But then the Phils win it in the 13th. Is Fredi still to blame?

Point I am trying to make, probably poorly, is Fredi's decision is just the freshest thing in our minds that went wrong. And it was such a headscratcher, it seems like the other things that went wrong, things we have complained about since May, fade away.

That's the difference.

Let's say the top of the 12th inning still goes down as it did. Marlins enter the bottom of the 12th down two runs. The side goes down in order (allowing for us to have good hitters that fail 70% of the time). Is Fredi still to blame for the loss? Do the other reasons why we lost come into greater focus?

Or rather, let's say the top of the 12th happens differently, and Werth's single scores the only run (somehow). We tie it in the bottom half. But then the Phils win it in the 13th. Is Fredi still to blame?

Point I am trying to make, probably poorly, is Fredi's decision is just the freshest thing in our minds that went wrong. And it was such a headscratcher, it seems like the other things that went wrong, things we have complained about since May, fade away.

I would still be complaining about it. (even if we won)

Fact is, it was a terrible move, and whether we scored or not in the 12th is irrelevant to me. The fact we scored 1 just makes it more obvious now (btw, great managing there, too. We had to pinch-hit the pitcher after Fredi using all of our bench...and we were only in the 12th...sigh).

This is just a big boneheaded move that sums up all of his boneheaded moves. He's not a good manager. A good manager doesn't hit his 2nd best .OPS man 7th. A good manager doesn't continually hit Bonifacio at the top of the lineup (although, I'll give him a pass here, since I'm sure the front office has something to do with this). A good manager doesn't use his best reliever only when the team is down in games. He's used Kiko Calero in the dumbest spots possible, so much so that he's overused him, and Kiko had to go on the DL, partly b/c of that. A good manager doesn't continue closing with his worst reliever as he continually did with Lindstrom, at the time (not sure how much input the front office had on this one, but if they didn't...terrible managing).

This just a few of his moves of "brilliance."

I can really care less who our manager is. Our players are not getting the job done. We had opportunities to win the game tonight, and we didn't.

Although, the IBB to Bako was just retarded. My friend, who doesn't even like baseball that much, told me isn't that a stupid mistake. I told him he's doing it to get a force out at every base, lol.