Rosenthal: Marlins after Nick Johnson

The Nationals apparently want Tucker and a prospect for Johnson

Tucker and Peterson or Cosuins for Johnson?

Why don't we just give them both Tucker and Thompson since they need the pitching badly.

Sounds fair to me. Both guys have a fair amount of potential but neither can be considered great bets to be useful major leaguers. That makes them non-essential to use, but is it worth it for Washington to gamble on their potential when they aren't a contender and Johnson will be a free agent after 60 games? Considering that we are the only teams knocking, I'd say absolutely.

Why don't we just give them both Tucker and Thompson since they need the pitching badly.

Sounds fair to me. Both guys have a fair amount of potential but neither can be considered great bets to be useful major leaguers. That makes them non-essential to use, but is it worth it for Washington to gamble on their potential when they aren't a contender and Johnson will be a free agent after 60 games? Considering that we are the only teams knocking, I'd say absolutely.

Yep Yep.

Yep Yep.

Like you said, no one else seems too interested. Also, he won't even be type B free agent, so they won't get a draft pick. They should be pretty desperate, honestly. I think both Tucker and Thompson together would be too much. And I disagree - both of them are pretty good bets to at least end up in a Major League bullpen at some point, with a chance of Thompson ending up in a rotation and Tucker at a back-end.

Personally I have my fingers crossed hoping this deal goes through...Bonifacio out the lineup and Nick Johnson in is a huge upgrade and I can live with losing Tucker. I woke up this morning hoping that the Marlins would make a deal to help the club and this one seems like a good one.

The trade will happen when we stop insisting on them paying Johnson for not being there.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing... this is probably why we're having to throw in another prospect.

Just pay up Loria. :dwarf

It's obvious our offense needs some help. Getting Nick Johnson to bat #2 ahead of Hanley would have been the equivalent of getting Odom to play alongside Wade.

Johnson, Hanley, Cantu, Ross... Maybin.

You have that lineup with our starting rotation and incredible bullpen deepth and we're a playoff team.

so is cantu going back to 3rd and johnson at 1st. because i thought the organization really wanted to keep cantu at 1st for defensive reasons. i think teahen would have make more sense because he could play multiple positions.

Cantu has actually played a fine first base but Johnson is supposed to be better. Add in that Cantu won't be any worse than Bonifacio at third and its an upgrade for us.