Sean West is in his 4th season in the minors. He has shown consistantly good numbers in the minors. I understand your worry with the surgery he had, but he doesn't have any lack of minor league experience. Right now the best way to prepare West for being in the starting rotation next season is to give him time this season. Putting Smoltz there to be what he was in Boston is not going to help this team nor the development of West in any way.

But he has a lack of major league experience. That's my point. And you don't give a guy that isn't ready for the majors time to play out in the majors when you're looking at a playoff run.

West has already spent time in the majors. Well over a month. He had his time in the majors, he fixed some things during his time in the minors, and he is ready to get called back up. Smoltz would be much more detrimental to a playoff run than West would be.

And you know he's fixed things how? He hasn't exactly been lights out in the minors and is posting numbers similar to the ones he had before his callup.

And he's only in AA.

uhh, padilla has had a 4 era in almost every month this year. id call that consistent

Let's see...

April he had a 7.43 ERA, May he had a 1.57 ERA (only 3 starts), June he had a 4.81 ERA, July 4.26 ERA, and August so far a 5.2 IP, 6 ER game.

If you look at his games this season, he has some nice 1 ER, 3 ER, high IP games, but he has ALOT of 5+ runs allowed games, and you consider 2 4 ERA months out of 5 thus far being (almost every month), than yeah, he has been a great pitcher.

You know the problem, West is better, period. He has shown signs of great pitching this season, and he is a lot more trustworthy in the 5th slot for less money (you aren't getting Padilla for minimum).

august was only 1 start so you cant really put that in there. so so far hes had 3 out of 4 months with a 4 era or under, ill take that. west is better when he is pitching at full potential, but you dont know what you will get from a rookie

uhh, padilla has had a 4 era in almost every month this year. id call that consistent

Let's see...

April he had a 7.43 ERA, May he had a 1.57 ERA (only 3 starts), June he had a 4.81 ERA, July 4.26 ERA, and August so far a 5.2 IP, 6 ER game.

If you look at his games this season, he has some nice 1 ER, 3 ER, high IP games, but he has ALOT of 5+ runs allowed games, and you consider 2 4 ERA months out of 5 thus far being (almost every month), than yeah, he has been a great pitcher.

You know the problem, West is better, period. He has shown signs of great pitching this season, and he is a lot more trustworthy in the 5th slot for less money (you aren't getting Padilla for minimum).

august was only 1 start so you cant really put that in there. so so far hes had 3 out of 4 months with a 4 era or under, ill take that. west is better when he is pitching at full potential, but you dont know what you will get from a rookie

Where the hell did you get that number? 2 out of 4 months, which is exactly 50%, which equals to half, which does not equal to "most" like you previously stated.

Let's see...

Where the hell did you get that number? 2 out of 4 months, which is exactly 50%, which equals to half, which does not equal to "most" like you previously stated.

because you are counting august where he has had 1 start.

so if you take that out hes had 4 or under in 3 out of 4 months

So you are trying to tell me that the two months where he had 3 starts each month (1.57 ERA/4.26 ERA) mean just as much if not more than his months where he had 5 and 6 starts each month (7.43 ERA, 4.81 ERA respectively). That is just dumb.

Dim, no need for #'s.

After all, they are irrelevant when Fredi Gonzalez makes a bullpen move.

And what are you trying to prove by posting this?

I mean, apparently I must've left a good enough impression that you are willing to post in a thread that doesn't concern you and criticize me. I'm glad I'm on your mind hon, but you really aren't my type ;)

Dim, no need for #'s.

I mean, apparently I must've left a good enough impression that you are willing to post in a thread that doesn't concern you and criticize me. I'm glad I'm on your mind hon, but you really aren't my type

It proves that you're a hypocrite.

Dim, no need for #'s.

I mean, apparently I must've left a good enough impression that you are willing to post in a thread that doesn't concern you and criticize me. I'm glad I'm on your mind hon, but you really aren't my type

Also, look in the gamethread, the game ends and Benched posts "Ballgame, no thanks to Fredi". It's amazing some people are willing to blame the manager even when we win the game and all his decisions worked in the end. Simply amazing. Also, this isn't the thread to discuss it, sorry, :(

See, this kind of talk is why this relationship would never work, all the name calling just causes so much emotional distress , I'm sorry...I need to be alone.

Dim, no need for #'s.

Also, look in the gamethread, the game ends and Benched posts "Ballgame, no thanks to Fredi". It's amazing some people are willing to blame the manager even when we win the game and all his decisions worked in the end. Simply amazing. Also, this isn't the thread to discuss it, sorry,

See, this kind of talk is why this relationship would never work, all the name calling just causes so much emotional distress , I'm sorry...I need to be alone.

"No thanks to Fredi" b/c he made the wrong move in the 8th inning (but, of course, you like the result, so it's ok by you).

This thread also shows that you're a hypocrite, considering that you've done this to me before, as well. (y'know...mentioning me in a thread that I haven't even entered in. You and GoFishx2 used to love doing that).

Dim, no need for #'s.

Also, look in the gamethread, the game ends and Benched posts "Ballgame, no thanks to Fredi". It's amazing some people are willing to blame the manager even when we win the game and all his decisions worked in the end. Simply amazing. Also, this isn't the thread to discuss it, sorry,

"No thanks to Fredi" b/c he made the wrong move in the 8th inning (but, of course, you like the result, so it's ok by you).

This thread also shows that you're a hypocrite, considering that you've done this to me before, as well. (y'know...mentioning me in a thread that I haven't even entered in. You and GoFishx2 used to love doing that).

You mean Pinto instead of Meyer?

Wasn't smoltz an elite closer at one point 3 years ago. I'd say give him a shot in the Bullpen as the CL--move Lindstrom down to Setup.

He can be useful, but we would need to find where he's best suited these days.

Yes, he was an elite closer. But the big reason he was that dominant was that his fastball was in the 97 MPH+ range, and his off speed pitches had some nice bite on them. Now, at the age of 42, that fastball stays at the 89 to 93 range, and he he doesn't have the same "stuff" he used to. He just doesn't have what he used to. It comes with age, some players just have to admit when they are done, and Smoltz just doesn't have anything left in the tank sadly.

I hope they get rid of Lindstrom. There is no use for him on this team. Pinto can pitch the rest of the year along with Kiko and Dan Meyer.

Wasn't smoltz an elite closer at one point 3 years ago. I'd say give him a shot in the Bullpen as the CL--move Lindstrom down to Setup.

Yes, he was an elite closer. But the big reason he was that dominant was that his fastball was in the 97 MPH+ range, and his off speed pitches had some nice bite on them. Now, at the age of 42, that fastball stays at the 89 to 93 range, and he he doesn't have the same "stuff" he used to. He just doesn't have what he used to. It comes with age, some players just have to admit when they are done, and Smoltz just doesn't have anything left in the tank sadly.

I hope they get rid of Lindstrom. There is no use for him on this team. Pinto can pitch the rest of the year along with Kiko and Dan Meyer.

That's not true.

How did Lindstrom get into the conversation?

Piazza31 wants Smoltz to close and Lindstrom to set up. I'd rather see him on another team where he could actually learn something from a pitching coach. I just don't understand how you have a guy that throws hard, has a decent slider, and yet can't develop that strike out pitch which I think is a changeup. Plus I'd like to see him on a team where the manager actually knew what he was doing with the bullpen. Like tonight for example with Pinto. Fredi got lucky with that move.

That's not true.

Tell me why bro. I'm interested in what you have to say.

That's not true.

Tell me why bro. I'm interested in what you have to say.

Well, there is use for him on this team. We have a pretty deep pen right now, imo, and Lindstrom is a part of that. Right now, Lindstrom is our 5th/6th best reliever, imo. I don't see how that's a bad thing...having a deep pen.

When I read that Smoltz was released I was thinking how nice it would be if the Marlins picked him up. Though, he is struggling this year, but then again our 4th/5th starter situation is so up in the air, no matter who we place in there, we can't be more than maybe 75% confident. West was average when he was called up, and he may be improving, but he is still unproven. Smoltz is the opposite, he's been proven as a solid starter/reliever, but since surgery, has been struggling.

I think the 4th/5th starter situation will be a revolving door type of deal till the end of the season, unfortunately. I would like to see the Fish go after a proven starter in the off-season (as I have said repeatedly).

I'd rather go after Padilla and try him as the 5th starter if not then a spot in the bullpen. Rather then Smoltz who I heard was making 300K a game!?!?! That ridiculous for a guy that has won 1 game in 8 starts and is 41 years old and most likely considering retirement.

Padilla is the better option the Smoltz at the moment unless there's a better starter that has been DFA'd in the last 4 days that I haven't heard about.

Well, there is use for him on this team. We have a pretty deep pen right now, imo, and Lindstrom is a part of that. Right now, Lindstrom is our 5th/6th best reliever, imo. I don't see how that's a bad thing...having a deep pen.

Please tell me the 5 guys you'd put ahead of Lindstrom.