BTW, this is the newest scouting report I could find on Ungs, which is like 5 years old because that's the last time anyone cared.

"Ungs throws a fastball, a curveball, a slider and change-up. The problem with all of these pitches is that none of them are of plus quality. His fastball is average, being clocked in the 87-88 mph range and his breaking pitches aren’t considered knee bucklers"

So, as a young man he wasn't able to throw 90 MPH. Yeah, that's our savior alright.

Ungs is red hot off the mound in Jacksonville. Can't think of a reason to put West out there again. West never pitched like Ungs is pitching in Double A. Neither did Volstad for that matter.

You give West another 7 years and I think he'll be able to pitch like that in AA. Same with Volstad for that matter.

Let me make sure I am reading this correctly, my friend.

You are saying that age, and therefore previous experience, does make a difference at the A and AA levels? I'm not disagreeing with that point, wholeheartedly agree in fact. I just want to make sure that is what you meant so I can bring it up during one of our face to face discussions. Know where I'm going with this?

Let me guess...Bonifacio?

No idea how you could come up with that.

I say Gaby should have been playing head and shoulders above other players in A and AA because of the age, and most importantly, the experience of 4 years at a major university in a very good baseball program. Playing vs and with kids right out of HS or even younger. Rab disagrees. No biggie. Just some playful discussions.

My bad, I read that the wrong way. Anyways, I agree with you about Gaby. I've never been a big fan of him, either.

Another guy who fits this category is Matt Lindstrom, imo.

I'm wishing that Ungs was starting the Marlins game tonight. I'd feel there was a chance of winning the game tonight. With Volstad going, I'm feeling there is absolutely no chance. He'll be knocked out by the fourth inning.

Volstad is way better and younger than Ungs. As a matter of fact, Volstad is about a month younger than Braves super-stud prospect Tommy Hanson (also pitching tonight).

Your patience sucks. Volstad should develop into a very good middle of the rotation guy, at least. And he's actually had some success at the major league level, too.

My bad, I read that the wrong way. Anyways, I agree with you about Gaby. I've never been a big fan of him, either.

Another guy who fits this category is Matt Lindstrom, imo.

It's not the fan thing with me. I went into watching ST games with high expectations of him. And came away wondering what all the hoopla surrounding him was. Just see absolutely nothing special about him. At most I see him as nothing more thn a fill-in until someone else is ready or signed. And seeing we tried to trade him and was turned down (reportedly), probably a throw-in in some trade down the line. Although that may be a little harsh. Some team may look at those A and AA "accomplishments" along with some of the things he has done in AAA (namely learning more positions to play) and be tempted.

Matt is a middle reliever that can succeed in that role. Not a closer. Pretty much like Gregg in that regards.

But I am with Rab on Ungs. Nothing special there either. Maybe a Sept call up as a thank-you for what he has done in the minors over the years. This team does that alot. Some impress and stick, most are gone soon after.

I stopped reading this after the words 29 and AA where in the same sentence. Of course this guy is going to dominate younger inexperinced guys!

By the time you get to AA ball you are no longer inexperienced regardless of age. Other than that I agree with your point, assuming your meaning was they are overmatched because the guy is simply too "smart" about his craft and had too many years of experience to make it a level playing field.

Willie Glen did it last year, coming out of an independent league and dominated AA ball yet didn't get a sniff of the bigs. The same will probably happen here. I look at this way. Consider them (Ungs and Glen) learning experiences the developmental players need to see if they want to get to the next stage of their careers. It's good for them to see smart, wiley pitchers they are only going to see more of them later on.

Nic Ungs has thrown a no-hitter in the AA level, and he did it against the hottest team at the time. However, and this is coming from an old scouting report, he's not brought up because they feel he pitches too much to contact, which they doubt will work in the majors.

I say bring him up just because he's been consistent lately, and the pitch to contact argument makes me angry.

From the wiki:

"In 2005, Ungs was 7-6 with a 3.68 ERA for the Mudcats. He pitched the first complete game no-hitter in Carolina Mudcats history, a 2-0 win against the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx on July 29. West Tenn led the league in hits, doubles and triples, and had a team average of .280 entering the game. The next year, his record was 9-9, 3.99 for the Albuquerque Isotopes. In the 2006 Americas Qualifier for the 2008 Olympics, Ungs was 2-0 with a 3.52 ERA for Team USA to help them earn an Olympic slot. He tied Heath Phillips and Zack Segovia for the team lead in wins."

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Nic_Ungs

Nic Ungs has thrown a no-hitter in the AA level, and he did it against the hottest team at the time. However, and this is coming from an old scouting report, he's not brought up because they feel he pitches too much to contact, which they doubt will work in the majors.

I say bring him up just because he's been consistent lately, and the pitch to contact argument makes me angry.

There is a difference to pitching to contact for a GB pitcher, and pitching to contact for a FB pitcher. When a GB pitcher does not give up many XBHs at all. So when they pitch to contact, if the hitter gets a hit, it doesn't really hurt, and because they rarely walk people, they'll still have a fine WHIP. Plus then you're looking at DPs and the other nice stuff that comes with GBs that help limit damage.

Ungs is a FB pitcher (45% this season, very high). The problem is, FB pitchers give up a ton of XBH. Balls that find gaps, balls that go over the fence. This is the reason why GB pitchers are always preferred prospect wise. I think one of the better example to show would be Nolasco. Nolasco does not have good games when only strikes out a few batters, instead he becomes a XBH machine. in order for a FB pitcher to have success at the ML level, they need to have a great K/BB.

Go through the ML leader board in FB%. The ones who have success are the high K, high K/BB players. the ones who suck are the ones with bad K rates and a bad K/BB

Ungs is red hot off the mound in Jacksonville. Can't think of a reason to put West out there again. West never pitched like Ungs is pitching in Double A. Neither did Volstad for that matter.

Nick Ungs is not ready for pro ball

All Minor Leagues, from Rookie league to AAA, are "pro" ball.