Marlins Hot After Penny

Danivp

We have a clear track record of fixing veteran pitchers careers. We have managers that are specifically trained to coach youngsters. Our coaching staff can do wonders with a pitcher like Penny whose a veteran and has had a taste of success before. Before 2003 Penny was just a thrower, we made him a pitcher. Today Penny again is a thrower, we can make him come out of the gates at Land Shark Stadium pitching for US again. You sound like you don't want him to sign with us. :whistle

Except there's really no guarantee that we would be able to fix him in the short month or so we would have him, plus the postseason. Now, if he was coming here at the beginning of the season, then it would make more sense that one would think we could fix him. He and we would have spring training and the early season to fix him, if he needed fixing. But you don't want a pitcher you feel needs fixing when you are pushing for a playoff spot. So if the FO was thinking they could get him and fix him, that would be a fool's errand, because how many starts do you give him to be fixed? Why would you want a "broken" pitcher? We have plenty of pitchers in the minors that need "fixing." I used fixing a lot in the paragraph.

From Penny's perspective, it would look better for his future if he had some role in a playoff contender/playoffs. Since the Giants are closer, he could be very well thinking he will get extra opportunities to show off his skills due to the postseason.

That being said, I would have liked Penny just for the extra push of having a pitcher with experience gives us. He may only be a 4th/5th spot guy now, but we really don't have anyone outside of JJ and sometimes Ricky to rely on.

Ah brilliant post, and I agree completely, but even if he needed fixing he'd still be a whole lot better than what we currently have. The NL has done wonders for John Smoltz who many labeled as done. I hope these rumors are false, and he signs with us :(

There was a rumor that Penny almost went to one of his former teams, the Florida Marlins, rather than the Giants but he says that was never close to happening. "Honestly, I wasn't going to Florida," he said. "I want to play in front of some fans."

Ouch.

Well then, I am now somewhat glad he didn't come here. It's one thing if he had beef with the FO, a whole nother thing if he has issues with us, the fans.

Not like we didn't support him in 2003.

I can't say that I blame him. Don't get me wrong, I know very well the reasons why we don't draw well right now, but it has to be somewhat depressing for the players to come out and play in front of a few thousand people in a huge stadium every night. Heck, sometimes it is depressing to be in that environment as a fan. As a player, I'd imagine that it would be more fun to play in front of 40,000 every game.

I can't say that I blame him. Don't get me wrong, I know very well the reasons why we don't draw well right now, but it has to be somewhat depressing for the players to come out and play in front of a few thousand people in a huge stadium every night. Heck, sometimes it is depressing to be in that environment as a fan. As a player, I'd imagine that it would be more fun to play in front of 40,000 every game.

Must be why he did so well in Boston, those sellouts night after night must have motivated him to the point that he was so bad he was released. Really, Brad has had some nice years (and one really good year), but for his overall stuff, he has underachieved big time.

Must be why he did so well in Boston, those sellouts night after night must have motivated him to the point that he was so bad he was released. Really, Brad has had some nice years (and one really good year), but for his overall stuff, he has underachieved big time.

I'm not saying that it helps him pitch better, just that playing in front of big crowds probably makes going to the park every day more exciting.

if he would have said they have no fans, or no loyal fans...something in that area...then i would have been really mad

Um, he did say that. "I would like to play in front of some fans". But he would not like to play here. That's implying that we have no fans.

Also, grow up. There's no reason to bash your former team, especially one with which you won a World Series, like that unnecessarily unless someone specifically asked him why he doesn't want to come here.