Marlins Hot After Penny

Danivp

So only winning 1 game might not qualify us for getting Penny, eh? I still hope we get him especially that Volstad got sent down.

August 24th we were 8 games back in the NL East, today 7.5 as I write this which can swing to 7 or eight by night's end, so no harm there.

August 24th we were 5.5 games back in the wildcard, after today's play we are 3.5 games back in the wildcard.

I'd say we're still in contention.

I say why not, I believe we would be responsible for $82K of his salary... Baseball is a funny game, we have a 3-3 week and gain 2 games on the Rox... Lets Go Mets! (Ouch!) Lets go Phils (Geez!)

So only winning 1 game might not qualify us for getting Penny, eh? I still hope we get him especially that Volstad got sent down.

August 24th we were 8 games back in the NL East, today 7.5 as I write this which can swing to 7 or eight by night's end, so no harm there.

August 24th we were 5.5 games back in the wildcard, after today's play we are 3.5 games back in the wildcard.

I'd say we're still in contention.

I say why not, I believe we would be responsible for $82K of his salary... Baseball is a funny game, we have a 3-3 week and gain 2 games on the Rox... Lets Go Mets! (Ouch!) Lets go Phils (Geez!)

Yeah who would of though we would be rooting for the Mets and Phillies to win in September , haha.

Penny may be able to help the final run this month but nothing he can do himself. One person can't change this so if we don't get him it's nothing lost. JJ will pull through and Coghlan too but everybody else needs to bring their A game.

Ummm.....Hanley? Seriously, Coghlan is not better than Hanley, guys. Lol.

Penny may be able to help the final run this month but nothing he can do himself. One person can't change this so if we don't get him it's nothing lost...

Correct, contrary to popular belief here, baseball is a team sport. That said, the potential for him to improve our chances is there and shouldn't be ignored. BTW, not only are the Twins interested, they are interested enough to have ex-teammates Carl Pavano and Mike Redmond contacting Penny welcoming the opportunity to reunite.

The fact that not one team appears (although generally the Red Sox and Penny's camp appear to have kept a pretty tight lid on whats the back story is regarding any negotiations or preferences) willing to cut a half a loaf is better than none deal with the Sox, leaving the bulk of the Penny obligation with the Sox but paying say $1 million towards his pending obligation rather than waiting to pick him up at the bare minimum and/or throwing a PTBNL to sweeten the deal.

I don't think it's purely greed, rather it speaks more to the *level* of contribution MLB FOs really expect out of the guy.

As I think about my own post above a counter might be that by negotiating with the Red Sox directly you're taking the decision where Penny goes out of his hands which might not be a good way to "welcome" a new player to the fold.

And countering, this counter, if a team were to successfully negotiate a deal with the Red Sox before the deadline all those irksome bonuses which would kick in were his contract kept alive, would, which benefits Penny's pocketbook and should ameliorate any hard feelings about shipping him somewhere without his consent. But that would be the idea to offer the Red Sox enough that it would be worthwhile to let those bonuses kick in.

It's an interesting set of "ifs" that I suspect make this a much more complex move than most.

Would he just forfeit the bonuses if he clears waivers? I think the Red Sox are still responsible for them if he achieves them, but I'm not sure.

I believe if he accepts his release his contract becomes null and void and there is no obligation to pay on those bonuses, only his contracturally obligated base salary. That's the whole point (from the Red Sox perspective) to doing this the way they are doing it. *In becoming a free agent he winds up signing a "new" contract rather than playing under the old/existing one.*

Will Marlins win the Brad Penny sweepstakes?

by Joe Capozzi Sometime today Brad Penny should clear waivers, opening a scramble for teams vying for his services. The Marlins are one of those teams, but if you’re Brad Penny and you can choose among the Yankees, Giants and Marlins, where would you want to go?

Brad Penny at Fenway Park in June

Sure,Penny had a solid career with the Marlins, winning more World Seriesgames in 2003 (two) than did Josh Beckett, the series’ MVP. I thinkit’s a long shot. We’ll know by tomorrow, the deadline for teams tosign players they want to include on their post-season roster. At thevery least, Florida’s run at Penny at least shows that the front office isn’t giving up on the season yet.And the Marlins aren’t just looking at pitchers, according to a source who says the team is trying to land a position player…

LHP Renyel Pintogot the job done Sunday but he sure did create some unnecessary drama.In the bottom of the seventh inning, with Florida leading 5-3, heallowed the first two batters he faced to reach base, starting withpinch-hitter David Eckstein’s double.

With runners at first and second and one out, he struck OscarSalazar (3-for-3 coming into the at-bat) and got Kevin Kouzmanoff tobounce out to end the inning.

“Pinto is possibly gonna give me a heart attack at 28 years old,�catcher John Baker said. “He always seems to walk the tightrope and hemakes big pitches.� ..

Big month for Chris Coghlan,who got his 46th hit in August on Sunday — the most in any month by aNational League rookie since Wally Moon had 52 for the Cardinals inJuly 1954.

A TV reporter asked Coghlan if he’d ever heard of Wally Moon. The Marlins rookie smiled: “You’re going ask me on camera I if I know him? I do not. No disrespect to him.�

Moon went on to win the NL Rookie of the Year Award in ‘54. Coghlan is making a strong case to win the award this year.

Coghlan’s response reminded me of the time Marlins second baseman Luis Castillo was asked during his 35-game hitting streak in 2002 if he’d ever heard of Joe DiMaggio.Luis gave a memorable blank stare, said something in Spanish to hisinterpreter — Marlins third base coach Ozzie Guillen — and shrugged hisshoulders…

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A position player? I wonder if they mean a bat of the bench or an everyday guy.

wth? he goes to the one that is closer to playoffs but not the one who will help his career get back on track? if this is true we better not sign him ever! bad move penny.

how would we get him any closer to getting his caareer back ontrack? he goes to the better team, better ball park, worse hitting division. seems like a pretty obvious choice to me

We have a clear track record of fixing veteran pitchers careers. We have managers that are specifically trained to coach youngsters. Our coaching staff can do wonders with a pitcher like Penny whose a veteran and has had a taste of success before. Before 2003 Penny was just a thrower, we made him a pitcher. Today Penny again is a thrower, we can make him come out of the gates at Land Shark Stadium pitching for US again. You sound like you don't want him to sign with us. :whistle

We have a clear track record of fixing veteran pitchers careers. We have managers that are specifically trained to coach youngsters. Our coaching staff can do wonders with a pitcher like Penny whose a veteran and has had a taste of success before. Before 2003 Penny was just a thrower, we made him a pitcher. Today Penny again is a thrower, we can make him come out of the gates at Land Shark Stadium pitching for US again. You sound like you don't want him to sign with us. :whistle

Is this a serious post? Especially the last part. Now anyone who doesn't agree with wanted him to go to another team?

I think you don't make sense and I stated here that I wanted him.

Except there's really no guarantee that we would be able to fix him in the short month or so we would have him, plus the postseason. Now, if he was coming here at the beginning of the season, then it would make more sense that one would think we could fix him. He and we would have spring training and the early season to fix him, if he needed fixing. But you don't want a pitcher you feel needs fixing when you are pushing for a playoff spot. So if the FO was thinking they could get him and fix him, that would be a fool's errand, because how many starts do you give him to be fixed? Why would you want a "broken" pitcher? We have plenty of pitchers in the minors that need "fixing." I used fixing a lot in the paragraph.

From Penny's perspective, it would look better for his future if he had some role in a playoff contender/playoffs. Since the Giants are closer, he could be very well thinking he will get extra opportunities to show off his skills due to the postseason.

That being said, I would have liked Penny just for the extra push of having a pitcher with experience gives us. He may only be a 4th/5th spot guy now, but we really don't have anyone outside of JJ and sometimes Ricky to rely on.