2010 World Cup Thread

mountainfish

Wow - Chalie Davies was involved in a serious accident and is facing career threatening injuries.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/10/soccer-world-cup-united-states-davies-.html

Davis suffered a lacerated bladder, fractures to the tibia and femur bones in his right leg, facial fractures and a left elbow fracture in the 3:15 a.m. single-car accident near Washington, D.C., that claimed the life of another passenger and also injured the unidentified driver.

I would like to know if it was DUI/DWI involved.

Also, their were reports on FoxSoccerChannel that the accident was career-ending. I was really liking the Altidore/Donovan/Davies attack.

Also, their were reports on FoxSoccerChannel that the accident was career-ending. I was really liking the Altidore/Donovan/Davies attack.

Concern about his career is mere speculation at this time, but he is almost certainly out of the World Cup. The recovery time is expected to be 6-12 months. He's only 23. I think he'll play again.

There were early reports from the USSF that they were career ending, but they have since backed off.

They may have backed off but a femur and a tibia fracture in the same leg will be tough to come back from and reach the same form. It's too bad. I like him as a player. On the other hand he will survive his injuries. He's lucky to be alive.

Argentina qualifies and Uruguay goes to the playoff.

They saved Maradona's job. I'm happy they made it, mainly for the players. Many of the best in the world. It would not be the same without them in it. But Uruguay should handle the Concacaf 4th place team. So they should make it.

And Portugal makes the playoff so Ronaldo still has a chance to get in. No such luck for Ibrahimovic and Sweden.

wayne rooney is my most hated player so obviously i hope that england loses in the most painful way possible preferably to the hands of one of the yugoslavian countries.

Wayne Rooney, Cashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, and the list goes on. The more painful the better.

I think besides the US I root for Australia and South Korea. While not the most talented teams, they are aggressive teams.

I don't mind Gerrard too much, but obviously you will hate him being an Everton fan. I will add to that list Rio Ferdinand who I really don't like. But top of the list of most hated players has to be Ashley, with my hate magnified by the fact he is married to one of the hottest chicks on the planet. And he cheated on her, and she took him back. Never understood why someone would cheat on their partner when they are as absolutely stunning as Cheryl

I like Gerrard. For some reason I hate John Terry. Rooney is a dink and Cole is too.

There were early reports from the USSF that they were career ending, but they have since backed off.

They may have backed off but a femur and a tibia fracture in the same leg will be tough to come back from and reach the same form. It's too bad. I like him as a player. On the other hand he will survive his injuries. He's lucky to be alive.

Agreed, him being able to lead a normal life after this is by far the most important thing here. But it's impossible not to have thoughts about him playing him again in the back of your head. I think returning from these kinds of injuries depends on how bad the player wants it -- and from everything I've read he hasn't needed surgery on his leg, leading me to believe it's not nearly as serious as an Alan Smith or Eduardo injury.

bosnia got nailed by spain in the last game of qualifying but bosnia was already guaranteed a spot in the UEFA second round so the game really didn't matter.

Russia, France, Greece, Portugal, Ukraine, Ireland, Bosnia, and Slovenia will play it out for the last 4 remaining spots to represent europe in the world cup.

the european teams that already qualified include: Netherlands, England, Spain, Germany, Denmark, Serbia, Italy, Switzerland, Slovakia

wow this must be a big let down for some of the european power houses like sweden, czech republic, turkey, croatia, and romania who didn't make it. that means no ibrahimovic, eduardo, modric, or mutu in the world cup and possibly ronaldo if portugal collapses and doesn't win a spot.

Croatia really had the worst deal. For the UEFA playoff the top 4 teams will be pooled to play against the bottom four. The new ranking comes out tomorrow, but the projections have.

10. France

11. Portugal

13. Russia

20. Greece

the bottom 4

24. Ukraine

27. Ireland

40. Bosnia

49. Slovenia (funny too that Slovakia won the group and is projected 50)

In my eyes it would be best if Russia, France, Portugal and Ireland make it through the playoffs. Nothing against the other 4 nations but for the biggest football spectable, these teams need to get there.

Ireland sucks. it would be best for bosnia to advance to bring back relevance in the balkans. yugoslavia was ranked 3rd in the world before the war in 1991 that broke the team apart and to have serbia and bosnia in the world cup would be crazy especially if they played each other because it could get ugly in the stands

Ukraine has also grown greatly since 2006. They made a new "debut" in 2006.

I personally would like to see Greece move along. I think Greece had a good run in the UEFA Euro champ in 2004 and it would be nice to seem them rebound after that run (even though it was more luck than anything).

Also, I have a lot of doubt in France (unless they get Ireland) because they just have not been playing well this past year.

france and italy are on the decline. i'd like to see bosnia, portugal, russia, and slovenia make it but i wouldn't mind if greece or france made it instead of slovenia depending on matchups

I agree, but Italy finds a way to get those wins if they look bad, or to rebound and get a draw. France just seems to be coming up short and games they should win they are getting a lot of draws/loses.

In my eyes it would be best if Russia, France, Portugal and Ireland make it through the playoffs. Nothing against the other 4 nations but for the biggest football spectable, these teams need to get there.

Ireland sucks. it would be best for bosnia to advance to bring back relevance in the balkans. yugoslavia was ranked 3rd in the world before the war in 1991 that broke the team apart and to have serbia and bosnia in the world cup would be crazy especially if they played each other because it could get ugly in the stands

Their team isn't great but the Irish fans would add a lot to the atmosphere of the tournament, as just like us Scots, they are always up for a drink and a party.

Agreed, him being able to lead a normal life after this is by far the most important thing here. But it's impossible not to have thoughts about him playing him again in the back of your head. I think returning from these kinds of injuries depends on how bad the player wants it -- and from everything I've read he hasn't needed surgery on his leg, leading me to believe it's not nearly as serious as an Alan Smith or Eduardo injury.

Yeah I'm rooting for him. Especially being a New Hampshire kid.

Their team isn't great but the Irish fans would add a lot to the atmosphere of the tournament, as just like us Scots, they are always up for a drink and a party.

I kind of agree with Schnellders on this. Hard to picture a World Cup without the Irish. In my opinion neither France nor Portugal has proven they should be there in spite of the obvious talent but it will be weird if neither makes it out of the playoffs. Andrei Arshavin is another great player who could be left out of the WC if Russia doesn't make it. I wouldn't mind Bosnia but I think Ukraine has the best shot of the unseeded teams to get through.

I kind of agree with Schnellders on this. Hard to picture a World Cup without the Irish. In my opinion neither France nor Portugal has proven they should be there in spite of the obvious talent but it will be weird if neither makes it out of the playoffs. Andrei Arshavin is another great player who could be left out of the WC if Russia doesn't make it. I wouldn't mind Bosnia but I think Ukraine has the best shot of the unseeded teams to get through.

Do you mean this specific one or in general? Ireland has only made 3 world cups and besides 1990 they haven't done much.

Do you mean this specific one or in general? Ireland has only made 3 world cups and besides 1990 they haven't done much.

Both I guess. Only three WC but 3 out of the last 5 and Euro 1988. Quarterfinals (?) in 1990 and I think they made second round in both 94 and 2002. I know that's not much but they've had a solid national team for the last 20 years especially in the 90's, which pretty much encompasses most of my international soccer watching history. :lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.