ESPN 30 for 30 Steve Bartman:Catching Hell

heat84

• 3 weeks later...

there's a live chat with Bill Simmons going on on ESPN.com right now and a couple of people asked about the documentary:

Thomas (Washington, D.C.)

Whatever happened to the Cubs/Bartman 30 for 30? Will it ever air?

Bill Simmons (3:19 PM)

We moved it out of the series because the director (Alex Gibney, who is brilliant) wanted more time with it. On the one hand, it was a shame because it would have been one of the 3 best docs of the series and possibly No. 1. On the other hand, the fact that he's spending MORE time on something that was already great has us really excited.

matt (Denver)

So when will the Bartman documentary be shown? Sometime next year?

Bill Simmons (3:24 PM)

Next spring. It's outstanding. I can't say enough about it. For the record: it's about the concept of scapegoats in sports more than it's about Bartman.

• 3 months later...

I just checked the 30 for 30 Wiikpedia page and for this episode it says original air date October 2011. That had better be a mistake. Its not on ESPN.com anywhere. Or that Espnmediazone site. Hopefully it was just a a disgruntled Cubs fan or something that put that date there. According to the page edit history it was added by someone named Lastchancelost. Sounds like a cubs fan.

Also, when I first started this thread I searched to make sure one didn't already exist about this. There was one but some how I didn't find it when I searched. But I did find when I wanted to update this thread months later. I've always felt bad that I didn't post in the existing thread and just wanted to apoligize to whoever made that thread. I think it was one of the female members. Admin must've deleted that thread since it was a duplicate of this one as I can't find it. I know, who cares. But now I can sleep better at night.

• 1 month later...

Well, apparently we're really gonna have to wait until October to see this.:mad

According to this blog by a Cubs fan who still isn't over that game, it will debut at the Tribeca film festival which is April 20th to May 1. Somebody needs to go there and CAM it. Or even better copy the film. Its probably on a flash drive. Do you guys watch Leverage? Just do a Parker pocket-pick on Gibney or Simmons(who ever has it) of the flash drive, copy it to your laptop, do a Parker un-pocket-pick(give it back without them knowing), and nobody is the wiser. And if you do see Bill Simmons there, squeeze his balls until they pop for torturing us like this.:mad

Or too depressed to do anything.

I think I read somewhere that a radio station in chicago bought the bartman ball and boiled it then blew it up? Maybe hearsay, dunno, anyone know anything about it? if it's true gotta love baseball and its church of superstition.

They indeed blew it up at Harry Carry's restaurant. Year after, I believe.

Interesting, the reviews coming out of Tribecca indicate this was a well-done and researched documentary. Apparantly the filmmaker was able to obtain some alternate angle footage shot from the crowd and interviewed some of the security staff that ushered him out. However, it also seems that there's much (if not more) focus on Buckner and the Sox than the 2003 NLCS. Confirmed airing in Fall, probably to coincide w/ the Playoffs.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't see the bug hype about all this. It will be more about the fans bad treatment of Bartman than anything about the Cubs or Marlins.

Don't be that guy.

Don't be that guy saying don't be that guy.

Hey, I like that memory as much as anyone else. I'm just saying it's not like there is going to be interviews with Marlins players and such about that incident. It isn't even about the game or the players. It's about the fans and their stories.

Just listened to an interview with the director of the documentary on the Dan Patrick show. Apparently the producer had been trying to get Bartman on camera for a long time, but Bartman refused. Even Bartman's friends wouldn't help get access to him.

So there's no Bartman in this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.