ESPN 30 for 30 Steve Bartman:Catching Hell

heat84

Yeah, I personally felt the best part of the entire documentary was

1. Rehashing that old ESPN article about the ESPN writer and his experience tailing Bartman to work. Didn't provide any real insights into anything, but it seemed like one of the realist moments of the entire documentary.

2. Photoshopping all of the fans out of the picture and showing that Alou was definitely in position to catch the ball if no fans reached for it. You can never prove he would've been able to hold onto the ball even if it did fall into his glove, but it did show that Alou, although a nutcase and an A-Hole for the way he reacted to the situation, wasn't blowing smoke in his adament stance all these years that he would've caught that ball.

Nice documentary. Could've been done better, but nice nonetheless. I think the OTL story about the firefighter that also reached the ball added to the story for me. I agree with his belief that if he was the one that touched the ball, it would've worked out better. He would've gone on all the television and radio shows, made sure that people got tired of him (just as Jeffrey M. and his family manwhored him throughout all the late night show programs), and people would've forgotten about the whole situation much quicker. The fact that Bartman has remained silent all this time adds more intrigue to the story, and in my opinion keeps the story going. If he just did some sort of public appearance, I think the situation would blow over and just become part of sports folklore.

• 2 weeks later...

Im so pissed because my DVR recording of it cut off in some places due to weather. I did get to see about 3/4 of it, and man do I feel for the guy. I'd like to think that if that were to happen here in Miami, we'd be better fans about it, and understand that ALL OF US in that situation would have done the same thing, its human instinct to go after that ball. I thought I would hate the Boston side of it, but it added a great feeling of redemption, one that maybe Bartman can have one day. I'm gonna try to re-record it, see if I can see it completely! Overall, 9/10!

It was all Alou's fault. If he had just went back to his position instead of throwing a tantrum, the Cubs' mojo isn't upset. It was only a foul ball and just Castillo at the plate. He wasn't gonna hit a HR. And there was nobody on base was there? And they had a 3-0 lead. So it was definitely Alou's fault.

I guess we know why this was delayed. ESPN demanded the Boston parts be added. :p Seriously though, although the comparison was appropriate, a half hour's worth of Boston was too much. The bit about Buckner realizing his loose glove was the culprit was interesting. Like an episode of Cold Case. If it was me I would've stopped the ball with my body and made sure it didn't get through. But hindsight is 20/20.

I recently downloaded a 12GB high quality rip of this. There's also a SD rip that's 640MB. So if you missed part of it you could download it. It would be against forum rules be more specific, so I won't. Knowing the mods here, I probably already went too far.

That was really quite sad to be honest. If anyone says that they wouldnt reach out for a chance to catch a foul ball, then they are liars. Its sad that people have to react to him the way they did, and how these morons think they are so bad ass, telling him to step outside the stadium. And like Heat84 just said, if Alou doesnt act like a baby, then the outcome could have been different. Karma is a bitch I guess.

After watching this, I had to watch the 03 championship dvd again, just to relive the memories!

And Miri I finally watched it yesterday and until Mike Lowell says October 14th, I didn't realize it was 8 years to the day. Doesn't seem that long ago does it ?

Anyways, I enjoyed it, and didn't mind the Boston stuff as much as I thought I would. It was actually relevant to the story the film maker was trying to get across.

Poor Bartman, dude has had his whole life screwed up by this. He can't go anywhere, or even get a job without people saying sh*t to him about it. Not fair, and what happened was not his fault. His apology was not necessary. If anything it should be the numbskull Cubs fans that should be apologizing to him.

I liked the part when they got him out of the stadium, and that lady had to take him to her apartment. She broke down near the end when she said he remained a nice guy throughout the whole ordeal. Many people would have become rude and pissed off if that had happened to them, as unfair as it was.