Pen next year?

jake schwach

beinfest has been great the last few years in bringing in the "end of the career guy" and turning it around in florida

but likely losing lindstrom, pinto, and kiko calero because of money what are we going with?

Nunez to close seems like the only set in stone

then you have the odd men out of the rotation battle

ie penn west hopper or vanden hurk

what do you guys think will look like in the pen next year?

1. Nunez

2. Sanches

3. Meyer

4. Vanden Hurk

5. BadenHop

6. Whoever loses # 4 and 5 SP battle between A. Miller, West, and Anibal

7. Depending on if it's a lefty or righty above

-If A Miller/West is in the pen, competition between Wood/Leroux/Tucker/MILB FA

-If Anibal is in the pen, competition between H. Jones/Tankeresly/MILB FA

Short answer - Pen will be unspectacularly fine.

Can't also discount more arms coming in with Uggla to change something above. But this is how I see it right now.

Nunez is not a closer. I'd have thought they would know that by now.

If he can't be a closer, it's weird how he saved 26 games in his first full year in the role.

Not worried about the overrated role. Worried about the other guys. I hope Brian Sanches isn't our main setup man because I believe he was a fluke last year. I think Vanden Hurk will be the surprise guy next year, regardless of his role in the pen.

Agreed, loved Sanches last year but can he put together back to back great seasons? Not sure I'm willing to see with him as our set up guy, I liked him in long relieve. We always seem to add the veteran or two late but who are those guys like Calero and Meyer out there this year?

Not really a huge fan of Soriano and Gonzalez from the Braves, there names have been tossed around by them as on the market but the Marlins hit them around last year.

Whose out there that is afforable for us?

Nunez is not a closer. I'd have thought they would know that by now.

If he can't be a closer, it's weird how he saved 26 games in his first full year in the role.

Not worried about the overrated role. Worried about the other guys. I hope Brian Sanches isn't our main setup man because I believe he was a fluke last year. I think Vanden Hurk will be the surprise guy next year, regardless of his role in the pen.

Wow, that's great. All I remember is HR's flying out of the ballpark in the 9th and the team losing a bunch of times. I'm sure he will get that straighten out next year, not.

My point is...it's really funny how people completely rule him out of being a closer because he apparently doesn't have what it takes mentally (as if we know what's going on through his head during games). Bottom line is he saved 26 games, and ended up blowing...what, a handful of games?

I have absolutely no doubt that we will pick up another Gardner / Nelson / Sanches / Calero on the cheap as another reclamation project who will turn out to be a great pick-up ... just not sure who yet at this point.

I am also very excited about the prospect of RVH in the pen ... if they only keep him to be a 1-inning relief pitcher and keep Badenhop in his long relief role, I think he will be VERY effective.

1. Nunez

2. Sanches

3. Meyer

4. Vanden Hurk

5. BadenHop

Can't also discount more arms coming in with Uggla to change something above. But this is how I see it right now.

what about christhian martinez. he had some flashes of good stuff last season. sanches seems like a joe nelson kind of player. one successful season and then starts to suck again.

So will Badenhop be used in a long relief role, or will he be more of a 1 inning guy considering there will be another "SP" in the pen (Miller/West/Anibal)?

Lindstrom to Houston... good luck Matt

Good luck uberschnell. I hope you enjoy your stay of the Astros' message boards.

What's that supposed to mean? I'm sure there are haters in Houston just like there are haters in Florida. The Marlins gave up on him and that's not to say so did the "fans." I'll keep following the Marlins and hope they do well. Good luck to you and Happy Holidays.

1. Nunez

2. Sanches

3. Meyer

4. Vanden Hurk

5. BadenHop

what about christhian martinez. he had some flashes of good stuff last season. sanches seems like a joe nelson kind of player. one successful season and then starts to suck again.

Martinez has to be very far down the depth chart unless he starts doing something special. Above is 11 names, and that's not including MILB FA agents Beinfest has made a living off of, whatever we get back from Uggla which pretty much has to be some sort of pitcher, and other guys like Ceda who will jump everyone if he comes back healthy, Penn who is out of options, etc. I can't imagine Martinez really cracking this organization's pitching unless something crazy happens.

Also, I think Sanches is going to relatively hold up in a worst case sceario with a high 3/low 4 era and be a normal ok reliever. He's not going to be Gardner, he's going to be closer to Justin Miller performance wise which isn't so bad. I think this pen's potential is RVH becoming awesome, or one of those SP converting and becoming dominant, or Ceda or Tucker reaching prospect status and coming in, etc. Sanches is just going to be that normal cog in your pen.

I'd like to see the Marlins try the spaghetti approach on at least two of these available Free Agents, to see if the can find the next Gardner/Nelson/Waechter/Calero

Joaquin Benoit, Octavio Dotel, Danys Baez or Joe Beimel

There's also an unsigned player from Japan Ryota Igarashi that looks intriguing.

For S & G's maybe they can try signing possible retreads Guillermo Mota, David Weathers or possibly loogy Ron Mahay if any would sign for league minimum.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.