Tyler Walker, Jose Veras

Erick

MLBTR had a blurb earlier today that Gaudin and Mitre (you listening Rabb?) might be traded with all the extra pitching the Yankees have.

I openly admit as good as some of our guys are now at bending the ball, I never saw a pitcher with more downward movement than Mitre when he was on his game. Like Weaver when he was young. Violent hook.

See, the thing a lot of people are overlooking is if we sign pitchers, or trade for pitchers like a Mitre or Gaudin or whoever, they come with a guaranteed contract. I think everyone understands the volatile nature of relief pitchers in baseball and how one year someone is great (Gardner), and then falls off the face of the planet.

The Marlins strategy for years has been to a have a very flexible pen, which means having players with minor league options left or on minor league contracts, so the team can constantly shuffle the arms around and not have to "eat" say $2 million on Kiko or Mitre falling apart on their first year purely off an injury.

I support this strategy big time. I would rather constantly shuffle Sanches, Badenhop, Leroux, Wood, Tucker, Ceda, Hunter, and the rest of them, then guarantee a spot to a veteran who may or may not pan out. We don't have the money to go out and get an ace reliever like Mike Gonzalez or Rafael Soriano, so this is the next best thing. You either go big with relievers and get proven commodities who have closed or set up for years, or you stay small. The only two relievers (assuming Pinto leaves) on the Marlins who will have to be at the staff at all times are Nunez (salary purposes, 4th year player) and Meyer (out of options). Vanden Hurk would be a third if he makes the bullpen. This leaves us at least 4 spots to shuffle whose working out and whose not for the entire year. If Sanches has a "soph" marlins slump, boom send him down for 3 weeks and call up the next rocket launcher in line. If Kiko were to have problems, you'd be stuck with him and eating money you could have spent on something better, like paying a veteran bench who are much safer signings than relievers. And that's when you start losing ball games if you can't turnover your relievers because of contracts.

We need to add more young pitching. If you don't have options left, we don't need them for where this franchise is right now. Gaudin, Mitre, Kiko, and all the other names floating would be terrible ideas. But Tyler Walker or Veras on a MINOR league deal and see if they can fight through the dozen kids in AA/AAA who have legit bullpen potential, great move. Bring in guys who can come in and compete and work with our finances and flexible nature. As we've seen through the years, these types of players - Justin Miller, Lee Gardner, Joe Nelson, Doug Waechter, Brian Sanches - provide comparable if not better innings for 1/5th the cost of their free agent counterparts.

The bullpen is going to be fine next year. It's not going to be great, it's not going to be bad. It'll be sufficiently average which is good enough, with some break out potential if RVH, Tucker, and Ceda start reaching their prospect status with getting over their injuries. This team still contends or not on the starting pitching. Bullpen isn't going to blow the season. That's going to be up to Volstad, Anibal, West, and Miller.

I have faith in Beinfest when it comes to finding hidden gems to fill out the bullpen. I'm thinking he will pull someone out of a hat like Fernando Cabrera, Joaquin Benoit or Chad Cordero who will pitch well for the Marlins this season. Walker and Veras are also his types of pitchers so either of them would fit into the Marlins' pen I think.

both could probably be had on minor league deals. although neither have had great numbers in their career but bullpen depth is always valuable.

God forbid the Marlins actually offer a major league contract! Why does the Front Office even bother! I cant understand why the FO decided not to offer Kiko Calero arbitration. The Marlins need to sign a consistent and a legitimate closer. Nunez is way too inconsistent and erratic! In my opinion he would make a better set up man. They need to sign a Jose Valverde or a Fernando Rodney. Here are some relief pitcher they should also look at! Jeff Weaver, Troy Percival, Chan Ho Park, Tom Gordon, Will Ohman, Tyler Yates, John Bale, Jason Isringhausen and Octavio Dotel.

Case closed

both could probably be had on minor league deals. although neither have had great numbers in their career but bullpen depth is always valuable.

God forbid the Marlins actually offer a major league contract! Why does the Front Office even bother! I cant understand why the FO decided not to offer Kiko Calero arbitration. The Marlins need to sign a consistent and a legitimate closer. Nunez is way too inconsistent and erratic! In my opinion he would make a better set up man. They need to sign a Jose Valverde or a Fernando Rodney. Here are some relief pitcher they should also look at! Jeff Weaver, Troy Percival, Chan Ho Park, Tom Gordon, Will Ohman, Tyler Yates, John Bale, Jason Isringhausen and Octavio Dotel.

Case closed.

Case reopened.

Jose Valverde just turned down around 10 million in arbitration from the Astros, and we'd also have to give up a draft pick which we're not doing. Fernando Rodney is no better than Leo and now he's getting expensive. Most of the other pitchers you're listing in fact ARE inconsistent or erratic. or old. or bad.

Case closed

At this time, I can't argue with the second sentence. The first one I disagree with. He didn't become that way until near the end of the season. Him not being used to the pressure, the long season, heat, humidity, and his small body frame all contributed to him just wearing out. That came as no surprise to some, and shouldn't have come to a surprise to anyone that dosen't think life mirrors video games. A very good off season workout program and pack on a few pounds/muscle could be the turning point for him. Not saying it would turn him into some kind of top notch closer, but it would build up his stamina.

BTW Just because it's something you believe dosen't mean the case is closed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.