Miami Dolphins unveil plans to upgrade stadium

B1az3

However, the stadium in its current condition, is already hosting superbowls without spending a dollar on upgrades.

The NFL told Dolphin ownership that Miami would no longer be considered for future Super Bowls unless they upgrade to rival modern stadiums like Dallas and Arizona.

Here is the issue. The NFL is telling Miami this because there is more competition now. Even if the dolphins do spend all this money upgrading the stadium, how often is miami going to get the superbowl?

Right now these are the cities that could host the superbowl:

Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, San Diego, Jacksonville. LA is building a brand new stadium so add that to the mix. Then you have a place like Indy which will get a superbowl because they built a new stadium. In 2014 the NFL is considering letting the New Meadowlands host the superbowl as a one time thing. If the 49ers/Raiders get a new place, then that is another place to compete with.

Miami basically has to compete with 10 cities now. If the city of miami spends $250 million on upgrades will there be a decent return on investment?

I think it makes it look far more like a soccer stadium that you would find over here in Europe.

Yeah it does. I kinda like the design(especially the new seats). I just wish $250 million(or even half that) could be put out there for an ACTUAL soccer stadium to get MLS back in town...

By the next Super Bowl(and surely the World Cup if the US gets 2018 or 22), the stadium will be a dinosaur compared to other venues around the country. I agree it needs upgrades but unlike the Marlins, I don't see why any public money has to be used. Let the NFL and Ross pay for it. If they wanted an entirely new stadium(perhaps coupled with the World Cup or maybe a future summer Olympics) I'd be more willing to support that idea. The ballpark however was something new that the team actually needed(and has needed since day 1) and has kept baseball in South Florida.

Looks like a bit of work to move the current score boards, or get new ones, and semi-demolish the upper deck stands in the corners to fit them in. Could force the football team(s) to move out for a season and play at the new ballpark. If that happens I hope the Marlins turn the tables and hit them with a crappy lease lol.

I actually think this would be a pretty good use of public money. Once this is done, the stadium would basically be brand new and it would attract a lot of events like the Super Bowl and the World Cup (which the stadium is currently bidding on) which bring in hundreds of millions of dollars into the local economy. In the case of the Super Bowl, it brings that money into the economy on a fairly consistent basis. I can see the local governments, in return for the funds, requesting the NFL assure that Miami gets the game on a regular rotation. Just like the Marlins deal, people will whine and complain about this, you'll probably get lawsuits, but in the end, the Dolphins will get this money and the renovations will get done.

I agree to a certain extent. After two Super Bowls the renovations will probably pay for themselves. The event pumps so much into the local economy. But the NFL and Dolphins aren't exactly strapped for cash. The NFL wants to play the game here, they're just trying to get off without having to pay for the upgrades. If they can guarantee in writing that the game will return on a very regular basis, at least every 5 years, it's a good deal. I also agree that this will happen eventually, probably sooner rather than later. The city/county will bend over backwards for the Dolphins and NFL.

I find it crazy that the roof doesn't cover the field though. What happens when it rains and their half time show gets ruined? I guess they'll just come begging for more money to complete the roof.

I think the roof looks kindoff cheap.

I second this.

I third this. :mischief

Seriously, if you're going to put on a partial roof like some soccer stadiums, don't have it hanging beyond the side of the stadium. But other than that, it's a pretty good design. Nice to narrow the field back to a normal football/soccer width. And the green suits it better than the orange.

• 2 weeks later...

However, the stadium in its current condition, is already hosting superbowls without spending a dollar on upgrades.

The NFL told Dolphin ownership that Miami would no longer be considered for future Super Bowls unless they upgrade to rival modern stadiums like Dallas and Arizona.

Here is the issue. The NFL is telling Miami this because there is more competition now. Even if the dolphins do spend all this money upgrading the stadium, how often is miami going to get the superbowl?

Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, San Diego, Jacksonville. LA is building a brand new stadium so add that to the mix. Then you have a place like Indy which will get a superbowl because they built a new stadium. In 2014 the NFL is considering letting the New Meadowlands host the superbowl as a one time thing. If the 49ers/Raiders get a new place, then that is another place to compete with.

Miami basically has to compete with 10 cities now. If the city of miami spends $250 million on upgrades will there be a decent return on investment?

of those on the list, the last two probably aren't actual competition. the last commish said that the chargers stadium is "too old" for another super bowl there, and they need a new one before they go to san diego again (and it's doubtful they are getting a new stadium soon based on local news reports). and the sb in jacksonville was a disaster (in terms of event atmosphere, the town is dull compared to the others on the list) that they probably won't go there again, but it may be moot as the team may leave soon.

i would also add detroit and maybe minnesota if they get a new stadium (with a roof). also, if new york gets a super bowl, seattle and denver, along with almost every nfl city will bid for a sb (expect green bay and buffalo).

of those on the list, the last two probably aren't actual competition. the last commish said that the chargers stadium is "too old" for another super bowl there, and they need a new one before they go to san diego again (and it's doubtful they are getting a new stadium soon based on local news reports). and the sb in jacksonville was a disaster (in terms of event atmosphere, the town is dull compared to the others on the list) that they probably won't go there again, but it may be moot as the team may leave soon.

i would also add detroit and maybe minnesota if they get a new stadium (with a roof). also, if new york gets a super bowl, seattle and denver, along with almost every nfl city will bid for a sb (expect green bay and buffalo).

There was also another article in the sun-sentinel that some economist thinks the super bowl really brings in about 40-50 million dollars not 400 million as reported by the NFL. Many of the hotels in miami are already filled to capactiy anyways that time of year.

So for arguments sake, lets say a super bowl brings in 45 million dollars. There are at least seven other venues that can host a super bowl on a regular basis. Spending $250 million to fix up a stadium for an event that could come just once in the next 7 years doesn't seem to make much sense. What happens if they make the upgrades and then in 2015, the NFL says pay up again or no more superbowls?

I think the city should call the NFL's bluff. They have to be out of their minds to not play games SB's here anymore just because the stadium isn't as pretty as newer stadiums and they don't want the players to get wet. The players don't care about the rain.

This has nothing to do with the players. In fact, the current plan calls for the field to remain uncovered. This is about the fans(or in this case the NFL sponsors and advertisers) not having to sit in the rain.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1452808.html

That report projects that South Florida will get $153 million added to the economy because of the super bowl. However, that study doesnt discount the tourist who were coming anyways during that week to south florida.

Lets just say the $153 million is correct for arguments sake, then hopefully dade county wont vote to spend $250 million to fix up the stadium. As I mentioned in a prior post, there are probably 7 other venues that can now host the superbowl. Sun Life stadium might only get one superbowl in a 10 year period. What's to say that in 10 years the NFL tells the stadium they need another upgrade or they wont come again?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.