Josh Johnson, 4 years $39 million

No. When I heard we locked up Hanley for a couple of his free agent seasons, I was doing the Macarena. He has a complete clean bill of health -- he's a position player (less volatile/injury prone than pitchers), and one of the most electric and most valuable players in baseball.

No. When I heard we locked up Hanley for a couple of his free agent seasons, I was doing the Macarena. He has a complete clean bill of health -- he's a position player (less volatile/injury prone than pitchers), and one of the most electric and most valuable players in baseball.

Hanley has had shoulder problems since his rookie year if I'm not mistaken.

Hanley has had shoulder problems since his rookie year if I'm not mistaken.

I was really surprised and glad when I heard/saw the news as I got home, just in time to tune in to MLB Network and catch it as they mentioned it! Great news for us fans, and hopefully also the franchise!

Something else that might get overlooked (but I feel is important to note) is that this guy wanted to be a MARLIN... He WANTS to be here. I think that says a lot about what could be his future production, in that he'll put work into it since he's glad to be here.

I was really surprised and glad when I heard/saw the news as I got home, just in time to tune in to MLB Network and catch it as they mentioned it! Great news for us fans, and hopefully also the franchise!

Something else that might get overlooked (but I feel is important to note) is that this guy wanted to be a MARLIN... He WANTS to be here. I think that says a lot about what could be his future production, in that he'll put work into it since he's glad to be here.

Hanley's had shoulder issues.

Hanley has also had problems with teammates/attitude problems in the past.

I'd still give him the contract he got over and over again. Same with Josh Johnson.

When you give out a contract, you give out a contract because you feel that player is going to contribute, and with these 2 guys, their track record shows they do put up the #'s.

Every contract given like this, you hope there isn't an injury, but it's a concern for every player. No different with Josh Johnson.

Hanley's had shoulder issues.

Hanley has also had problems with teammates/attitude problems in the past.

I'd still give him the contract he got over and over again. Same with Josh Johnson.

When you give out a contract, you give out a contract because you feel that player is going to contribute, and with these 2 guys, their track record shows they do put up the #'s.

Every contract given like this, you hope there isn't an injury, but it's a concern for every player. No different with Josh Johnson.

Position players get injuries like players in other sports (accidents, cramps, strains, etc.) A pitcher on the other hand -- because human bodies weren't made to put the kind of torque pitchers put on their arms -- is very taxing on the elbow and shoulder. Regardless of how talented certain pitchers are, sometimes they can never overcome the injury nexus. That's why you hear/read about T.I.N.S.T.A.P.P. That's why the Marlins never guarantee a pitcher more than 3 yrs.

JJ already blew out his elbow, so he's already shown vulnerability to the act of pitching. He's pitched 1 healthy full season in the last 3 yrs.

The Marlins work within a budget that leaves absolutely no margin for error. I like watching the Marlins go down to the last month competing for a playoff spot. There's almost ZERO chance of that happening if JJ blows out his arm again, while eating up $40M over the next 4 yrs.

Position players get injuries like players in other sports (accidents, cramps, strains, etc.) A pitcher on the other hand -- because human bodies weren't made to put the kind of torque pitchers put on their arms -- is very taxing on the elbow and shoulder. Regardless of how talented certain pitchers are, sometimes they can never overcome the injury nexus. That's why you hear/read about T.I.N.S.T.A.P.P. That's why the Marlins never guarantee a pitcher more than 3 yrs.

JJ already blew out his elbow, so he's already shown vulnerability to the act of pitching. He's pitched 1 healthy full season in the last 3 yrs.

The Marlins work within a budget that leaves absolutely no margin for error. I like watching the Marlins go down to the last month competing for a playoff spot. There's almost ZERO chance of that happening if JJ blows out his arm again, while eating up $40M over the next 4 yrs.

Is JJ an injury risk? Yes. All athletes are. But Tommy John surgery is fairly routine at this point. Even precautionary in some instances.

You cant balk on giving young pitchers deals forever. You cant consistently have turnover in the rotation, veterans replaced by youth. It is not how you build winners.

Is JJ an injury risk? Yes. All athletes are. But Tommy John surgery is fairly routine at this point. Even precautionary in some instances.

You cant balk on giving young pitchers deals forever. You cant consistently have turnover in the rotation, veterans replaced by youth. It is not how you build winners.

You forgot that that healthy year was last year...POST TOMMY JOHN. He also came back with more velocity on his fastball...POST TOMMY JOHN.

Sure pitchers are riskier, but also consider what MarlinsLou said earlier. Josh Johnson is an ace when healthy. He's a guy that if available, every big league team would want. That's a keeper. As has been said, you can't go with 5 inexperienced guys in your rotation on a yearly basis, and expect to continue competing. If not now, at what point do we keep our pitchers? Never?

You forgot that that healthy year was last year...POST TOMMY JOHN. He also came back with more velocity on his fastball...POST TOMMY JOHN.

Sure pitchers are riskier, but also consider what MarlinsLou said earlier. Josh Johnson is an ace when healthy. He's a guy that if available, every big league team would want. That's a keeper. As has been said, you can't go with 5 inexperienced guys in your rotation on a yearly basis, and expect to continue competing. If not now, at what point do we keep our pitchers? Never?

Can I still call Joe Girardi a piece of sh*t for the 2 years before Tommy John Surgery!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Can I still call Joe Girardi a piece of sh*t for the 2 years before Tommy John Surgery!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Good news. Good for the fragile minds of some of the fanbase.

I also love how people suggest this has anything to do with pressure from baseball. They've been trying to sign him for a while now.

If Johnson gets injured again...well...its not my money.

If you purchase a ticket or buy Marlins' merchandise, then of course it's your money.

Resources are finite. For every dollar spent, there's an opportunity cost.

If JJ isn't productive in 2012 & 2013 (due to injury, performance, or otherwise), this team is going to feel it in a very big way.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to sit through several non contending years because 25% of the payroll is being eaten up by an injured pitcher.

Its Loria's money. Doesn't matter WHO spent it, it goes to his bank account.

As for risk - well duh. Any team that makes bad decisions in any way is in trouble.

Good news. Good for the fragile minds of some of the fanbase.

I also love how people suggest this has anything to do with pressure from baseball. They've been trying to sign him for a while now.

If Johnson gets injured again...well...its not my money.

If you purchase a ticket or buy Marlins' merchandise, then of course it's your money.

Resources are finite. For every dollar spent, there's an opportunity cost.

If JJ isn't productive in 2012 & 2013 (due to injury, performance, or otherwise), this team is going to feel it in a very big way.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to sit through several non contending years because 25% of the payroll is being eaten up by an injured pitcher.

Its Loria's money. Doesn't matter WHO spent it, it goes to his bank account.

As for risk - well duh. Any team that makes bad decisions in any way is in trouble.

Yes, but when you have say, $100M to work with, $13.5M/year is only 13.5% of your payroll. When you have a $40M to work with, $13.5M is 30% of your payroll. Obviously the Marlins with their $40-50M payroll is taking the larger risk than a team with over twice the payroll.

Yes, but when you have say, $100M to work with, $13.5M/year is only 13.5% of your payroll. When you have a $40M to work with, $13.5M is 30% of your payroll. Obviously the Marlins with their $40-50M payroll is taking the larger risk than a team with over twice the payroll.

Are we really going to have to spend that much more on the rest of our team?

Most of our core players are club controlled during this timeframe. And payroll is likely to increase over 50...at least by the 2012 season.