Josh Johnson, 4 years $39 million

Good news. Good for the fragile minds of some of the fanbase.

I also love how people suggest this has anything to do with pressure from baseball. They've been trying to sign him for a while now.

If Johnson gets injured again...well...its not my money.

If you purchase a ticket or buy Marlins' merchandise, then of course it's your money.

Resources are finite. For every dollar spent, there's an opportunity cost.

If JJ isn't productive in 2012 & 2013 (due to injury, performance, or otherwise), this team is going to feel it in a very big way.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to sit through several non contending years because 25% of the payroll is being eaten up by an injured pitcher.

I also love how people suggest this has anything to do with pressure from baseball. They've been trying to sign him for a while now.

If you purchase a ticket or buy Marlins' merchandise, then of course it's your money.

If JJ isn't productive in 2012 & 2013 (due to injury, performance, or otherwise), this team is going to feel it in a very big way.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to sit through several non contending years because 25% of the payroll is being eaten up by an injured pitcher.

I would also not want to be sitting at home during the playoffs while watching JJ pitching in the World Series for a team like the Yankees in 2010.

I mean, come on. If you are going to play the injury card, you can use that card for just about every single player in the majors. Just seems like you are trying to find something to complain about. Signing JJ longterm ensures stability, something this franchise has lacked for years. Glad to see for once our top pitcher and hitter are locked up long term.

I would also not want to be sitting at home during the playoffs while watching JJ pitching in the World Series for a team like the Yankees in 2010.

I mean, come on. If you are going to play the injury card, you can use that card for just about every single player in the majors. Just seems like you are trying to find something to complain about. Signing JJ longterm ensures stability, something this franchise has lacked for years. Glad to see for once our top pitcher and hitter are locked up long term.

Pitcher Josh Johnson confirms to ESPN.com that he's agreed to 4-year, $39 million deal with Florida Marlins.

http://twitter.com/jcrasnick

Pitcher Josh Johnson reached an agreement on a four-year, guaranteed $39 million contract that will keep him with the Florida Marlins through 2013. The pitcher confirmed the agreement to ESPN.com Thursday.

"I'm excited,'' Johnson said. "It sets up me and my family for life. One of the best parts is knowing where I'm going to be the next four years. I won't have to hear about any trade rumors or anything like that. I'm happy to be in South Florida.''

The contract buys out the final two years of salary arbitration eligibility and the first two years of free agency for Johnson, who has a 34-16 record and a 3.40 ERA in parts of five seasons with the Marlins.

Johnson's contract is the second biggest ever for a pitcher heading into his second salary arbitration. The only bigger deal was signed by Johan Santana, who agreed to a four-year, $40 million contract with Minnesota in February 2005 after winning the Cy Young Award.

Johnson, regarded as one of baseball's best young starters, made the All-Star team in 2009 and has a 22-6 record since his return from Tommy John surgery in July 2008.

Johnson's negotiations took several twists this offseason. In November, agent Matt Sosnick said the two sides had reached an "impasse'' and that Johnson would play under a one-year deal in 2010.

Johnson and his representatives entered the offseason looking for a deal slightly above Zack Greinke's four-year, $38 million contract with Kansas City, while the Marlins countered with a reported three-year, $23 million offer. It appeared the spread was too much to overcome and that Johnson would sign a one-year contract or go to salary arbitration -- and possibly be traded at midseason or next winter.

Johnson said he was confident throughout the process that a deal would get done.

"Jeffrey Loria, our owner, came up to me a couple of times during the season and said, 'We'll get something done -- I promise you,'' Johnson said. "Even when the talks broke down, I was confident we would get something done.''

The Marlins dealt arbitration-eligible outfielder Jeremy Hermida to Boston in November and spent much of the winter exploring trades for second baseman Dan Uggla -- seemingly to help free up space in the payroll for a long-term deal for Johnson.

The Marlins ranked last among the 30 major league teams with a $36.8 million Opening Day payroll in 2009, but vowed to increase payroll moving forward as they prepare to open a new ballpark in April 2012.

The Marlins recently came under scrutiny amid concerns from the players association that they weren't living up to a provision in the basic agreement that requires teams to use revenue sharing receipts to improve performance on the field.

Although Marlins president David Samson maintained that the team did not violate the basic agreement, the Marlins issued a joint statement earlier this week promising to "work cooperatively'' with the union and the commissioner's office in the future.

"In response to our concerns that revenue sharing proceeds have not been used as required, the Marlins have assured the Union and the Commissioner's Office that they plan to use such proceeds to increase player payroll annually as they move toward the opening of their new ballpark,'' said union executive director Michael Weiner.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4826840

Pitcher Josh Johnson confirms to ESPN.com that he's agreed to 4-year, $39 million deal with Florida Marlins.

http://twitter.com/jcrasnick

Pitcher Josh Johnson reached an agreement on a four-year, guaranteed $39 million contract that will keep him with the Florida Marlins through 2013. The pitcher confirmed the agreement to ESPN.com Thursday.

"I'm excited,'' Johnson said. "It sets up me and my family for life. One of the best parts is knowing where I'm going to be the next four years. I won't have to hear about any trade rumors or anything like that. I'm happy to be in South Florida.''

The contract buys out the final two years of salary arbitration eligibility and the first two years of free agency for Johnson, who has a 34-16 record and a 3.40 ERA in parts of five seasons with the Marlins.

Johnson's contract is the second biggest ever for a pitcher heading into his second salary arbitration. The only bigger deal was signed by Johan Santana, who agreed to a four-year, $40 million contract with Minnesota in February 2005 after winning the Cy Young Award.

Johnson, regarded as one of baseball's best young starters, made the All-Star team in 2009 and has a 22-6 record since his return from Tommy John surgery in July 2008.

Johnson's negotiations took several twists this offseason. In November, agent Matt Sosnick said the two sides had reached an "impasse'' and that Johnson would play under a one-year deal in 2010.

Johnson and his representatives entered the offseason looking for a deal slightly above Zack Greinke's four-year, $38 million contract with Kansas City, while the Marlins countered with a reported three-year, $23 million offer. It appeared the spread was too much to overcome and that Johnson would sign a one-year contract or go to salary arbitration -- and possibly be traded at midseason or next winter.

Johnson said he was confident throughout the process that a deal would get done.

"Jeffrey Loria, our owner, came up to me a couple of times during the season and said, 'We'll get something done -- I promise you,'' Johnson said. "Even when the talks broke down, I was confident we would get something done.''

The Marlins dealt arbitration-eligible outfielder Jeremy Hermida to Boston in November and spent much of the winter exploring trades for second baseman Dan Uggla -- seemingly to help free up space in the payroll for a long-term deal for Johnson.

The Marlins ranked last among the 30 major league teams with a $36.8 million Opening Day payroll in 2009, but vowed to increase payroll moving forward as they prepare to open a new ballpark in April 2012.

The Marlins recently came under scrutiny amid concerns from the players association that they weren't living up to a provision in the basic agreement that requires teams to use revenue sharing receipts to improve performance on the field.

Although Marlins president David Samson maintained that the team did not violate the basic agreement, the Marlins issued a joint statement earlier this week promising to "work cooperatively'' with the union and the commissioner's office in the future.

"In response to our concerns that revenue sharing proceeds have not been used as required, the Marlins have assured the Union and the Commissioner's Office that they plan to use such proceeds to increase player payroll annually as they move toward the opening of their new ballpark,'' said union executive director Michael Weiner.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4826840

This is the best news that I've ever had as a Marlins fan for a couple years. To me, this is a lot more monumental than the Hanley deal because he was an instant star from his first season on and it would have been practical suicide to not lock a guy like him up after the Cabrera/Dontrelle trade. Also, it seemed like we could have Hanley be the one big item on our payroll for a couple years and skimp everywhere else. To have the Marlins commit real money to a guy like Johnson, who may end up being the best Marlins hurler since Kevin Brown, is a real positive sign.

Now I'd just like to see us not trade Uggla for a deal that wonb't reciprocate his value as a player and see whether we could sign Nolasco to an affordable extension, and it'd be the first Marlin offseason that wouldn't be marred by the regrettable loss of talented players for a couple years.

This is the best news that I've ever had as a Marlins fan for a couple years. To me, this is a lot more monumental than the Hanley deal because he was an instant star from his first season on and it would have been practical suicide to not lock a guy like him up after the Cabrera/Dontrelle trade. Also, it seemed like we could have Hanley be the one big item on our payroll for a couple years and skimp everywhere else. To have the Marlins commit real money to a guy like Johnson, who may end up being the best Marlins hurler since Kevin Brown, is a real positive sign.

Now I'd just like to see us not trade Uggla for a deal that wonb't reciprocate his value as a player and see whether we could sign Nolasco to an affordable extension, and it'd be the first Marlin offseason that wouldn't be marred by the regrettable loss of talented players for a couple years.

Didn't talks resume with JJ on Sunday?

Maybe the "reprimand" by MLB/MLBPA was released on Wednesday because the Marlins alerted them that they will be signing JJ so it is good PR all around: it makes it seem like Selig/MLB is stern enough to spur a team to follow its suggestions and the Marlins are able to both play dead (in kowtowing to MLB/MLBPA) and make a positive statement (we will open our wallets).

I like how on other sites people are pointing to the backloading of the contract as signs the Marlins will trade JJ before the end of the contrat. Aren't most big money contracts backloaded?

Didn't talks resume with JJ on Sunday?

Maybe the "reprimand" by MLB/MLBPA was released on Wednesday because the Marlins alerted them that they will be signing JJ so it is good PR all around: it makes it seem like Selig/MLB is stern enough to spur a team to follow its suggestions and the Marlins are able to both play dead (in kowtowing to MLB/MLBPA) and make a positive statement (we will open our wallets).

I like how on other sites people are pointing to the backloading of the contract as signs the Marlins will trade JJ before the end of the contrat. Aren't most big money contracts backloaded?

So is it better to sit through several non-contending years with two prospects that may pan out instead of retaining your ACE top 10 SP in baseball for half the money AJ Burnett and John Lackey recently received on free agency? Do you watch baseball and have you seen the freefall the Indians have gone in after dealing CC and Cliff? That would happen here without JJ.

You cannot contend with a collection of pitchers with 1-5 years experience. You can stay afloat, and be competitive as this team has shown, but you cannot compete with the top teams in the league with kids. You have to have veterans. They cannot all be bats. You need anchors in the pitching staff. JJ is young, already had the major surgery which unfortunately all young pitchers seemingly face these days and, has come back bigger, stronger and healthier (evidenced by throwing faster, and more innings). Has an excellent repeatable delivery. This is just a no brainer. It's not like this guy is inconsistent and perpetually injured. But for Girardi and a rain delay if you even watched the Marlins back then, JJ may never have been hurt.

And furthermore, payroll is going to be fine. You have no concept of the longterm and the overwhelming youth about to hit this team to make such a comment.

So is it better to sit through several non-contending years with two prospects that may pan out instead of retaining your ACE top 10 SP in baseball for half the money AJ Burnett and John Lackey recently received on free agency? Do you watch baseball and have you seen the freefall the Indians have gone in after dealing CC and Cliff? That would happen here without JJ.

You cannot contend with a collection of pitchers with 1-5 years experience. You can stay afloat, and be competitive as this team has shown, but you cannot compete with the top teams in the league with kids. You have to have veterans. They cannot all be bats. You need anchors in the pitching staff. JJ is young, already had the major surgery which unfortunately all young pitchers seemingly face these days and, has come back bigger, stronger and healthier (evidenced by throwing faster, and more innings). Has an excellent repeatable delivery. This is just a no brainer. It's not like this guy is inconsistent and perpetually injured. But for Girardi and a rain delay if you even watched the Marlins back then, JJ may never have been hurt.

And furthermore, payroll is going to be fine. You have no concept of the longterm and the overwhelming youth about to hit this team to make such a comment.

Sure you can; the Marlins did it in 2003.

when you have a fraction of the payroll big market teams have year in and year out; you have to be terribly efficient with every cent spent.

JJ is coming off of TJ surgery, and threw more innings in 2009 than he has at any point in his career. Pitcher's are very volatile/prone to injury (especially ones coming off of injury). Had he came packaged with a clean bill of health, I think it's an easy choice to extend him at his market value.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly a ton of upside in this deal *if* JJ stays healthy. But that's a big "if". The Marlins front office is making a $40M bet that he will stay healthy; it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sure you can; the Marlins did it in 2003.

when you have a fraction of the payroll big market teams have year in and year out; you have to be terribly efficient with every cent spent.

JJ is coming off of TJ surgery, and threw more innings in 2009 than he has at any point in his career. Pitcher's are very volatile/prone to injury (especially ones coming off of injury). Had he came packaged with a clean bill of health, I think it's an easy choice to extend him at his market value.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly a ton of upside in this deal *if* JJ stays healthy. But that's a big "if". The Marlins front office is making a $40M bet that he will stay healthy; it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Because the 2003 Marlins didn't defy all odds. That's a horrible argument. And news flash, they're building a $500+ million stadium where the team isn't likely to be an utter bottom feeder and move into the mid range of salary. Also, a TJ is often viewed as beneficial these days as strengthening pitcher's arms. This isn't a labrum. JJ is throwing faster now. He is as healthy as anyone regardless of the injury. Very repeatable delivery and he's not a twig.

If JJ is healthy 2.5 of the 4 years, we get our money's worth. Great odds. You couldn't be more wrong. This is a no brainer for the Marlins. He's the only one on the team that needs a longterm contract for the next two seasons. Literally.

Because the 2003 Marlins didn't defy all odds. That's a horrible argument. And news flash, they're building a $500+ million stadium where the team isn't likely to be an utter bottom feeder and move into the mid range of salary. Also, a TJ is often viewed as beneficial these days as strengthening pitcher's arms. This isn't a labrum. JJ is throwing faster now. He is as healthy as anyone regardless of the injury. Very repeatable delivery and he's not a twig.

If JJ is healthy 2.5 of the 4 years, we get our money's worth. Great odds. You couldn't be more wrong. This is a no brainer for the Marlins. He's the only one on the team that needs a longterm contract for the next two seasons. Literally.

There is no guarantee that the new ballpark is going to exponentially increase revenues; or that ownership is going to increase payroll dramatically even if it does.

And no, JJ isn't healthy as anyone regardless of the injury. When a pitcher blows out his elbow, it shows vulnerability to the motion of pitching. The chances that other problems or a recurrence of the same elbow-problem can happen again are higher than had no elbow problems occurred in the 1st place. TJ surgery doesn't "strengthen the elbow" it takes a bad situation (like a pitcher potentially losing his career) and gives it second life if it all goes successfully.

JJ looked great last year, but he's prone to injury. Even healthy pitchers are extremely volatile -- that's why this organization has never committed to a pitcher beyond 3 yrs (at least recently).

If JJ suffers a serious injury at any point during the next 2 seasons, it's going to be a significant blow to our payroll flexibility, and our ability to compete with far more wealthier ball clubs.

If he stays healthy the next 2 seasons (which is a big if), he could potentially be one of the most valuable commodities in all of baseball and bring in a haul of high quality prospects.