A blast from the past

fanofthefish

The Tigers added a couple of familiar names to their minor league stable:

C Mike Rabelo(notes) has rejoined the Detroit organization, signing a minor league deal. Rabelo, 30 on Jan. 17, spent the entire 2007 season with the Tigers, hitting .256 in 51 games. He was traded to Florida after that season and hit .202 in 34 games with the Marlins in 2008. He spent all of last season in the minors. He will come to spring training with the Tigers but is not expected to contend for the role of backup to C Gerald Laird(notes).

• 1B Jason Stokes(notes), whose promising career in the minors with Florida was ended after 2007 because of a string of injuries, unretired and signed a minor league contract with Detroit. Stokes was the second-round choice in the 2000 draft by the Dave Dombrowski-run Marlins and was a highly regarded power hitter before injuries to his hands, groin, wrist, back and thumb prompted him to retire. “Adrian Gonzalez(notes) was our first-round choice that year,� said Tigers assistant GM Al Avila, who was on Dombrowski’s staff at the time. “Jason was our second-rounder (41st overall in the draft). He had rare power. He hit some balls that were unbelievable to see.� Stokes, who turns 28 on Jan. 23, signed for $2.027 million. He played in the All-Star Futures game 2002, when he was Player of the Year in the Midwest League at Kane County for hitting .341 with 27 home runs in just 349 at-bats. He retired at 25, “but he’s been working out and seems to be healthy again,� said Avila. “He’s a big man (6-foot-4, 225 pounds), we’ve always liked him and we’re giving him a chance. It will be a matter of him staying healthy and making consistent contact, but if he does, I’m telling you, somewhere in the organization he’ll hit some bombs.�

That's great news. I'm a big fan of Stokes and I was always disappointed that he didn't get the same chance in 2006 that Mike Jacobs did. Of course, injuries were the real culprit, but he really flashed his ability in ST and his talent was always evident.

I'll be rooting hard for him and in an organization like the Tigers, I can really imagine him getting called up at some point to spend some time at DH or first.

That's great news. I'm a big fan of Stokes and I was always disappointed that he didn't get the same chance in 2006 that Mike Jacobs did. Of course, injuries were the real culprit, but he really flashed his ability in ST and his talent was always evident.

I'll be rooting hard for him and in an organization like the Tigers, I can really imagine him getting called up at some point to spend some time at DH or first.

You and me both...I will forever will wonder what could have been. He was suppose to be our version of Ryan Howard

You and me both...I will forever will wonder what could have been. He was suppose to be our version of Ryan Howard

Yep, I've said it before that one can only wonder what would have happened if he would have just been able to break camp with that 2006 team. All it would have taken was a couple home runs at the major league level for their to be a little notice, and even though the injury problems would have still been an issue, a guy who has shown his ability at the major league level is going to be treated with more patience that just another injury prone former prospect.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.