Uggla signed for $7.8 million

Guest Guest

"It feels good to get this out of the way," Uggla said. "I can't say that I'm going to for sure be a Marlin, because no one knows that. But I feel with the situation I'm in, I'm happy to be with the Marlins. I love it down there. They worked really well with me to come to an agreement, so I don't have to go to an arbitration hearing. So I'm happy."

MLB.com

I think that's a good deal for the Marlins, considering a roundabout number I thought he would get was $8.4 million.

At least we'll still have his production and power in the lineup for at least half of this upcoming season.

Any news on the rest of the arby cases (Cantu, Ross, etc...)?

such a mistake signing him to one year but that's just me...but hey I'm happy they got it done.

At this point it really won't save much money.

This is completely correct unless they did something like a 5 year deal. There is no cost savings coming off four rather excellent years in the final two years of arbitration. We got "lucky" with Johnson that he missed time to injury, or we wouldn't be able to save on him either. If anything, you try and save $1+ million by giving him a two year contract like $7-10, instead of doing arbitration negotiations that lead to $7.8 and $10.2 or whatever. He'd never accept a 3 year and just buy out "1" FA year since he will be in his 32 year old season and that will absolutely be his only chance to cash in. It's not a big deal to go 1 year with Uggla. You don't save relatively anything by signing him for next year, and it keeps guaranteed money off the books which is huge. Especially for a player you want to trade.

such a mistake signing him to one year but that's just me...but hey I'm happy they got it done.

Notice they did it AFTER exchanging numbers which runs contrary to their "rule".

Yea because they got their asses handed to them last year with Uggla, and prior years with Cabrera. They're learning!

Although he doesn't have the long term security of a multi-year contract, Uggla is certainly doing alright for himself, as a guy selected from the Rule V Draft.

Thats true, not too many other Rule V guys are taking home almost 8 MIL a year.

And its not like Uggla will have trouble getting another contract next year, with the fish or not.

Although he doesn't have the long term security of a multi-year contract, Uggla is certainly doing alright for himself, as a guy selected from the Rule V Draft.

And its not like Uggla will have trouble getting another contract next year, with the fish or not.

He's falling off defensively (-9 @ 2B last year). And he's getting older which doesn't really bode well for a defensive resurgence. I hope the Marlins can cash in on him before he's no longer able to play 2B (hopefully by the trade deadline).

He's falling off defensively (-9 @ 2B last year). And he's getting older which doesn't really bode well for a defensive resurgence. I hope the Marlins can cash in on him before he's no longer able to play 2B (hopefully by the trade deadline).

you know, at some point you have to hold on to someone. I like prospects too, but right now keeping uggla is absolutely in our best interests.

you know, at some point you have to hold on to someone. I like prospects too, but right now keeping uggla is absolutely in our best interests.

Not necessarily. Going by replacements (i.e., Coghlan taking over for Uggla and Carroll taking over for Coghlan in LF), we might be better off trading him, without even including the fact that he is going to make nearly $8 million this year.

Last year, Uggla had a 2.9 WAR. About 2.5 of it came from position and replacement, with 1.4 coming from batting and -1 coming from fielding. Assuming that Coghlan has the ability to be an average fielding second baseman, and his replacement and positional levels remain the same, he would only need to have .4 come from batting, or about a .332 wOBA. Last year, Coghlan finished with a .372 wOBA, and Bill James projects a .371 for him in 2010, so it's safe to say that Coghlan could easily match Uggla's production, but he would probably be much better than Uggla pending the fact that he can be an average fielder. If Coghlan could field adequately and put up a wOBA in the .372 range, then he would be worth about two more wins that Uggla at second.

Now for Coghlan's replacement, Carroll. Coghlan's batting and fielding combined to give him a .9 WAR last year, so we're assuming that Carroll's replacement level and positional level would be roughly the same. Carroll had a 29.1 UZR/150 in LF last year, but the sample size was very small at just 60 innings. For the sake of argument, let's say he would finish with around a 20 UZR/150 in LF next year, which would give him +2 WAR. That would mean that he would need to equal a -1.1 batting, or about a .304 wOBA, in order to match Coghlan's 2009 production in LF. Carroll finished with a .302 wOBA last year in limited play, but Bill James projects a .319 wOBA for him next season, which would equal -.3 WAR in batting, giving Carroll a .8 advantage over Coghlan if he were to play LF. Now that's pending that Coghlan wouldn't imporve in LF this off-season, but it is the only sample we have. Not to mention, Coghlan + Carroll = better base running than Coghlan + Uggla.

Realistically, this team could be two or three wins better if we were to trade Uggla, put Coghlan at second, and put Carroll in left.

I don't know if he's falling off as much as the sample size year to year isn't that large defensively.

That's all well and good, except that your offense is going to really struggle with Brett Carroll playing every day.

If you want to say "Go out and get a LHB to platoon with him" that's a different story.

Bill James has Carroll at a .742 OPS in 147 ABs, presumably playing mostly against LHP as a platoon player. He's shown a relative inability to hit RHP at the major league level. Yeah, his defense will be great, but I don't think it makes up for it, honestly.

Plus, I think Uggla's defense probably isn't as bad as the numbers showed last year. For his career he's -2.9 UZR/150, with one good year, one average year and two bad years. So he's probably closer to bad, but I don't think you can just pencil him in for -1 win defensively.

I also think Coghlan is going to be closer to below average than average. Not bad, but closer to Uggla than anything else.

Yes, best case scenario, with Coghlan replicating a somewhat ridiculous offensive rookie season and playing average 2B defense + Brett Carroll stepping in as a top 5 defensive outfielder in baseball and being a respectable batter, we could be better.

I'll take the relative sure thing in Uggla over that. And say Uggla's BABIP evens out to the .300 he's been for his career and he retains his improvements in plate discipline? All of a sudden, he's closer to his 2008 production than 2009 and we're way better off.

I think Uggla's best case scenario is much more likely than both Coghlan and Carroll's happening at the same time.

Im not too in sync with baseball figures... never was because of the whole no salary cap thing... but that is way too much. Players in the MLB are guaranteed too much money... and no offense to any baseball players but in my eyes baseball is a lesser work more talent sport. These players dont even have to work nearly as hard as other athletes yet they earn triple what their counterparts in other sports get.

/end rant.

Im not too in sync with baseball figures... never was because of the whole no salary cap thing... but that is way too much. Players in the MLB are guaranteed too much money... and no offense to any baseball players but in my eyes baseball is a lesser work more talent sport. These players dont even have to work nearly as hard as other athletes yet they earn triple what their counterparts in other sports get.

/end rant.

I absolutely disagree. Baseball is the only sport where they work just about everyday for 8 months (9 if you're lucky). Most players are somewhat spent by mid to late August. They work harder than football players (though their job is tougher on their bodies). The only sport I'd say is more work than baseball is hockey.

That's all well and good, except that your offense is going to really struggle with Brett Carroll playing every day.

If you want to say "Go out and get a LHB to platoon with him" that's a different story.

Bill James has Carroll at a .742 OPS in 147 ABs, presumably playing mostly against LHP as a platoon player. He's shown a relative inability to hit RHP at the major league level. Yeah, his defense will be great, but I don't think it makes up for it, honestly.

Plus, I think Uggla's defense probably isn't as bad as the numbers showed last year. For his career he's -2.9 UZR/150, with one good year, one average year and two bad years. So he's probably closer to bad, but I don't think you can just pencil him in for -1 win defensively.

I also think Coghlan is going to be closer to below average than average. Not bad, but closer to Uggla than anything else.

Yes, best case scenario, with Coghlan replicating a somewhat ridiculous offensive rookie season and playing average 2B defense + Brett Carroll stepping in as a top 5 defensive outfielder in baseball and being a respectable batter, we could be better.

I'll take the relative sure thing in Uggla over that. And say Uggla's BABIP evens out to the .300 he's been for his career and he retains his improvements in plate discipline? All of a sudden, he's closer to his 2008 production than 2009 and we're way better off.

I think Uggla's best case scenario is much more likely than both Coghlan and Carroll's happening at the same time.

^more or less my thought

I mean, you're kind of making the argument of "Carroll in LF and Coghlan at 2b next year would be better than Uggla at 2b and Coghlan in LF last year." I have Uggla at a 3.87 WAR (-5 defense, 19 runs offense) and Coghlan at 2.36 WAR (5.9 offense, 0 defense). So swapping Coghlan to second then puts him at a 3.3 WAR, so that's still -6 runs under Uggla. If Carroll puts up a .700 OPS and saves 20 runs defensively, he's a 2 WAR player in LF. And I think he'll probably be more around 15 than 20. So that's 1+ win worse with Carroll and Coghlan than with Uggla and Coghlan, in my opinion.

See, I don't think the team is better keeping "Uggla." I think it's better spending $45 million rather than $38 million. I'm totally fine doing the CC/BC thing, if they used Uggla's $7.8 million for some sort of left handed 1B/LF bat and bring in some more pitching. That's about it.

Either way. Uggla, or beefing up the bench/pitching, is a win for us.

^more or less my thought

I mean, you're kind of making the argument of "Carroll in LF and Coghlan at 2b next year would be better than Uggla at 2b and Coghlan in LF last year." I have Uggla at a 3.87 WAR (-5 defense, 19 runs offense) and Coghlan at 2.36 WAR (5.9 offense, 0 defense). So swapping Coghlan to second then puts him at a 3.3 WAR, so that's still -6 runs under Uggla. If Carroll puts up a .700 OPS and saves 20 runs defensively, he's a 2 WAR player in LF. And I think he'll probably be more around 15 than 20. So that's 1+ win worse with Carroll and Coghlan than with Uggla and Coghlan, in my opinion.

you're making the argument that 1 win is worth $8mil. what the hell happened to baseball?

^more or less my thought

you're making the argument that 1 win is worth $8mil. what the hell happened to baseball?

The arguement was not including the 8 mil. the market going for a mil is about 3.5 mil IIRC this offseason. So even if it's a 2 in difference that's still worse than market value. Like Lou said if we spent that money elsewhere then fine. I'd all be for grabbing a good SP with that money. Though I also certainly understand the arguement behind not signing a Smoltz/Sheets/Bedard/Whoever because someone on the disabled list is not help your team at all. And I don't have any real interest in us grabbing the Doug Davis/John Garlands of the world.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.