Tom Glavine Retires

Rabbethan

Won't Maddux and Glavine only go in together if Maddux isn't a first ballot HOFer? 4 Cy Youngs? He's a first ballot guy for sure.

It's by when you last played, not when you officially announced your retirement.

Unless they count minor league time, then they wouldn't be able to go in together.

And yeah, Maddux (my favorite pitcher ever, even if he was a Brave) will go in with 98% of the vote, not counting 1 or 2 idiots who need to get their votes taken away.

Excuse my asking, but would he be on the 2013 ballot or 2014 ballot?

Anyways, Glavine's retirement will be very well deserved, an amazing career which started with him being 10 games under .500 and leading the league in losses in his rookie year, to ending up winning over 300 games in his career. Definitely first ballot HOF.

Side note - Glavine and I share a birthday! =D [March 25th]

I think Rab is right about the eligibility year. Here is the potential candidate list for the 2014 class that I found on the HOF's website:

Moises Alou, Armando Benitez, Sean Casey, Jose Cruz Jr., Ray Durham, Damion Easley, Jim Edmonds, Keith Foulke, Eric Gagne, Tom Glavine, Luis Gonzalez, Mark Grudzielanek, Scott Hatteberg, Jacque Jones, Todd Jones, Jeff Kent, Jon Lieber, Esteban Loaiza, Paul Lo Duca, Greg Maddux, Matt Morris, Mike Mussina, Trot Nixon, Hideo Nomo, Jay Payton, Kenny Rogers, Richie Sexson, J.T. Snow, Shannon Stewart, Frank Thomas, Mike Timlin, Steve Trachsel, Jose Vid

I bolded Mussina because I wonder what his chances are. He never won a CY Young but he had a solid career (3.68 ERA, 270 wins, 280 Ks, and some gold gloves). He had an awesome 2008 (20 wins, 3.37 ERA). I bet if he extended his career a bit he could have gotten to that 300 win plateau.

I doubt he's a first ballot guy though.

Here are the big names for remaining years:

2011: Bagwell, Palmeiro, Admin Walker

2012: None

2013: Bonds, Clemens, Biggio, Schilling, Sosa, Piazza

2015: Randy Johnson

What do you guys think about Admin Walker and the Hall of Fame? The guy obviously had a great career: 5x All-Star, 7x Gold Glove winner, 3x Silver Slugger, and an MVP in 1997. A lot of people talk about the Coors Field effect with Walker and how much of an impact it had on his stats. Walker was a solid player in Montreal and became a superstar in Colorado. Did Coors Field have a lot to do with it? Yeah, probably. But he was also entering the prime of his career, and that should at least count for something. Sure his career home/road splits are drastically different, but if you look at his career road numbers alone and compare them to Andre Dawson's career numbers (Home & Road combined), you'll see Walker is a cinch for the Hall of Fame.

Dawson Career (Home & Road)

BA: .279

OBP: .323

SLG: .482

Walker Career (Road)

BA: .278

OBP: .370

SLG: .495

Walker Career (Home & Road)

BA: .313

OBP: .400

SLG: .565

I don't think Walker has a chance. He had the talent to be in the HOF but he also had an injury ridden career. I think a lot of writers will consider the Coors Field factor.

I think he will come closer than Albert Belle did. He played slightly longer, had better defense, and won an MVP. I think Albert Belle was hands-down the better hitter though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.