MLB 2K10

Michael

Just wondering if anyone has the game and if they think it's a much better game than 2K9 [i hope it is, 2K9 was horrendous], and if I should buy it.

I would get the Show but seeing as I don't have a PS3...

If anyone has any reviews of the game, please let me know :)

Just wondering if anyone has the game and if they think it's a much better game than 2K9 [i hope it is, 2K9 was horrendous], and if I should buy it.

It's better then 2k9 by far and its an enjoyable game. I'm pacing myself with it and am basically only playing the career My Player mode right now. The main reason I'm not playing it too much is that a lot of people on the 2k forums have been reporting freeze glitches once you reach the post-season with your career. They are also backing up their save files (and having as many as 3), but they're all becoming corrupted once you reach that moment. The only solution so far seems to be to simulate those playoff games instead of play them, but that's just completely moronic in the sense that you wanna play those post-season games more than anything.

2k sent a patch to Microsoft the other day and its expected to be deployed in the next week or two. We'll have to see if the patch will correct some of these freezing issues.

Outside of that, I really love pitching on this game. The game really does deliver on the pitcher vs. hitter part of the game. The AI isn't as stupid or predictable as it was before. Some people you just can't strike out unless you make perfect pitches and others, like Jeff Francoeur, you can just strike out 1-2-3 with pitches out of the zone because they have no patience or discipline at all.

I haven't done any Franchise mode play yet because I'm waiting for the rosters to become a bit more settled once Spring training is done and 2k give us updated rosters.

It's better then 2k9 by far and its an enjoyable game. I'm pacing myself with it and am basically only playing the career My Player mode right now. The main reason I'm not playing it too much is that a lot of people on the 2k forums have been reporting freeze glitches once you reach the post-season with your career. They are also backing up their save files (and having as many as 3), but they're all becoming corrupted once you reach that moment. The only solution so far seems to be to simulate those playoff games instead of play them, but that's just completely moronic in the sense that you wanna play those post-season games more than anything.

2k sent a patch to Microsoft the other day and its expected to be deployed in the next week or two. We'll have to see if the patch will correct some of these freezing issues.

Outside of that, I really love pitching on this game. The game really does deliver on the pitcher vs. hitter part of the game. The AI isn't as stupid or predictable as it was before. Some people you just can't strike out unless you make perfect pitches and others, like Jeff Francoeur, you can just strike out 1-2-3 with pitches out of the zone because they have no patience or discipline at all.

I haven't done any Franchise mode play yet because I'm waiting for the rosters to become a bit more settled once Spring training is done and 2k give us updated rosters.

That does sound dramatically better. How is the My Player mode in comparison to the Road to the Show mode in The Show?

The pitching - I heard there's "total control" now or something, can you elaborate on that?

That does sound dramatically better. How is the My Player mode in comparison to the Road to the Show mode in The Show?

Sorry, dude, but I don't have a PS3 either... only a 360 so I'm not really one to comment on that.

The pitching - I heard there's "total control" now or something, can you elaborate on that?

Pitching has changed in regards to that you now select a pitch before using the left thumbstick to do the motion. For example, Fastball is A, Changeup is X and Slider is Y. You press one of these buttons to select your pitch. If you choose A, you then pull straight down and push straight up as you always have in 2k with a Fastball. The speed and control of the pitch is then determined by how well you master the gesture. If you wanted to do Changeup, you press X and then do the push forward and then pull back motion like has been done with changeups in the past.

It's just better because I know in the past... I'd do a perfect changeup motion and the game would somehow think it was a fastball. There's no way anything like that can happen now. If you try and throw a curveball and you really mess it up, you'll still throw a curveball, but it will either be badly out of the zone or it'll hang.

Pitching has changed in regards to that you now select a pitch before using the left thumbstick to do the motion. For example, Fastball is A, Changeup is X and Slider is Y. You press one of these buttons to select your pitch. If you choose A, you then pull straight down and push straight up as you always have in 2k with a Fastball. The speed and control of the pitch is then determined by how well you master the gesture. If you wanted to do Changeup, you press X and then do the push forward and then pull back motion like has been done with changeups in the past.

It's just better because I know in the past... I'd do a perfect changeup motion and the game would somehow think it was a fastball. There's no way anything like that can happen now. If you try and throw a curveball and you really mess it up, you'll still throw a curveball, but it will either be badly out of the zone or it'll hang.

Alright, that definitely sounds good. :)

Thank ya!

haha yeah. I got 2K10 just a little ago and so far I do like it. =D

I don't know what difficulty level you play on, but I play on Pro and it's pretty easy to dominate with pitching on this level. The 2 seam fastball down in the zone is probably the most effective pitch in my opinion. You can usually throw this pitch to go 0-2 and then throw offspeed out of the zone to chase or, if they don't, throw a changeup down and in. If they don't take to 0-2 then they usually just ground out.

The reason I still play on pro is because mastering the hitting is hard. You really have to work the counts this year as they won't throw anything in the zone if you just swing at everything. In previous 2k games, you could swing at every pitch and out of those 3 strikes you would be able to make contact with something. If you swing at everything in this game, the AI is clever enough to just never throw anything in the strike zone and then you feel like a complete moron.

The biggest tip that I read on hitting was to use the power swing for everything. This means pulling the right thumbstick all the way back and then pushing all the way forward. You will see your hitter hold his bat still when you've got a power swing going. However, you don't have to pull it all the way back... you can very gently hold it a little back to the point where you've hardly moved it at all, but the player is holding his bat still. Then you have a shorter push action needed that helps a lot with your timing. You'll get singles through the infield because you hit the ball so hard whereas if you just did the contact swing, you would've grounded out. Then, if you learn to take balls and work the count, you'll get that 2-0 or 3-0 fastball that you can just crush for a homerun.

I played as the Red Sox last night, 2 outs in the inning before Pedroia singled, 4 straight balls to Youklis and then the pitcher went 2-0 on Ortiz. Once the pitch recognition said fastball as it was coming out of his hand, I could tell it was in the zone so I swung at it and 3 run home run over the green monster.

Now I'm actually beginning to hit on Pro and once I master it, I'll be able to move to All-Star difficulty or just mess with the sliders to have it somewhere inbetween. Remember that you don't get achievements for anything less then Pro.

haha yeah. I got 2K10 just a little ago and so far I do like it. =D

The reason I still play on pro is because mastering the hitting is hard. You really have to work the counts this year as they won't throw anything in the zone if you just swing at everything. In previous 2k games, you could swing at every pitch and out of those 3 strikes you would be able to make contact with something. If you swing at everything in this game, the AI is clever enough to just never throw anything in the strike zone and then you feel like a complete moron.

The biggest tip that I read on hitting was to use the power swing for everything. This means pulling the right thumbstick all the way back and then pushing all the way forward. You will see your hitter hold his bat still when you've got a power swing going. However, you don't have to pull it all the way back... you can very gently hold it a little back to the point where you've hardly moved it at all, but the player is holding his bat still. Then you have a shorter push action needed that helps a lot with your timing. You'll get singles through the infield because you hit the ball so hard whereas if you just did the contact swing, you would've grounded out. Then, if you learn to take balls and work the count, you'll get that 2-0 or 3-0 fastball that you can just crush for a homerun.

I play on pro myself, and I do agree that mastering the hitting is difficult. I use both types of swings though, very rarely do I use the defensive swings though, if ever. I love the hitting, though, in this game, feels so much better and I love being able to actually recognize the pitch for where it will go a bit easier.

With the contact swing, I usually use that if I get to 2 strikes and it works alright for me.

I'm loving the 2k10 commercials they're doing on "Pitcher vs. Hitter" too. Verlander is funny the way he just dismisses Longoria as an easy out and now there's a new one with Felix Hernandez that is also pretty funny. Speaking of which, that kid is a lot of fun to pitch with in the game because he is so damn good.

I simply can't buy MLB 2K10. MLB 2k9 was the first baseball game I bought since MVP 2005, and it's safe to say I was annoyed by the glitches that wouldn't allow me to even record a single out of any game.

This game could be the most revolutionary game of all time, I still couldn't buy 2k10 because of the emotional scars the last one left on me.

I simply can't buy MLB 2K10. MLB 2k9 was the first baseball game I bought since MVP 2005, and it's safe to say I was annoyed by the glitches that wouldn't allow me to even record a single out of any game.

This game could be the most revolutionary game of all time, I still couldn't buy 2k10 because of the emotional scars the last one left on me.

Oh dude, get it. It's much much much better. No glitches so far that I've seen.

Damn, im getting the itch for a baseball game again! The past few years I've been playing the Show on the ps3 and mvp 05 on the xbox, but since my ps3 magically crapped out last year (it froze one day and when i rebooted, it won't read any discs :[ ) now i have to wait for the folks at eamods to make new rosters for mvp or maybe take a chance on 2k10 for the 360. I think i'll just wait to see if it drops to about $40 , hopefully it doesn't take long!

The Show...Period.

This.

Ive been playing at least 1 game every day since i got it 2 weeks ago. My BX got it a week later than release day, and i was tempted to just go with 2k10 but after reading reviews and playing the demo for it i couldnt do that to myself. I'm glad I ended up waiting for The Show..its just that good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.