Brett Carroll

Do you think Brett Carroll makes the opening day roster? Why or why not?

I just dont understand how Carroll would not make the team. HE was our 4th outfielder the whole year last year and played exceptional defense.

We also had Jeremy Hermida last year, who was replaced in late innings for defensive reasons by Brett Carroll. This year the defense looks better with Maybin in CF and Ross in RF. Coghlan also projects to keep improving in LF so if Boni and/or Barden can multi-task out there when needed and also fill infield roles... why do we need Carroll as the 4th outfielder?

Baseball is a ruthless business at times and even though he seems like a great guy who really gives his best... maybe he's just not as good as what we have and we don't really need him?

But if he does make it... I won't complain, but I certainly understand why if he doesn't. Take out some of the feelings and look at it in a rational and logical manner.

I just dont understand how Carroll would not make the team. HE was our 4th outfielder the whole year last year and played exceptional defense.

We also had Jeremy Hermida last year, who was replaced in late innings for defensive reasons by Brett Carroll. This year the defense looks better with Maybin in CF and Ross in RF. Coghlan also projects to keep improving in LF so if Boni and/or Barden can multi-task out there when needed and also fill infield roles... why do we need Carroll as the 4th outfielder?

Baseball is a ruthless business at times and even though he seems like a great guy who really gives his best... maybe he's just not as good as what we have and we don't really need him?

But if he does make it... I won't complain, but I certainly understand why if he doesn't. Take out some of the feelings and look at it in a rational and logical manner.

I am looking in a logical manner. What has barden done this spring that Caroll has not???

I am looking in a logical manner. What has barden done this spring that Caroll has not???

Play shortstop.

I don't know the actual answer, but the team seems to like Barden for some reason that I don't gather. I think it's really silly adding an 8th infielder with no real 4th outfielder. I'm with you on this one, why add the 8th infielder instead of the 4th outfielder when the 8th infielder isn't actually any better of a player?

play the infield. I'm not saying it's right but the organization may look at Bonifacio as it's 4th OFer (i think i just threw up a little in my mouth)

Play shortstop.

I don't know the actual answer, but the team seems to like Barden for some reason that I don't gather. I think it's really silly adding an 8th infielder with no real 4th outfielder. I'm with you on this one, why add the 8th infielder instead of the 4th outfielder when the 8th infielder isn't actually any better of a player?

Well isn't Bonifacio the backup middle infielder since he's in that Utility role?

I feel that the obvious choice is Carroll over Barden.

So not fair. Barden has not been particularly amazing and Carroll has really shown that he's a hard worker and wants to be up here (not saying that Barden doesn't). I hate that when the Marlins like someone they won't look at anyone else until absolutely necessary. If he's going to take the place of 4th outfielder, he's really put minimal work in the Outfield, and we already have Boni in the role of super utility. :(

play the infield. I'm not saying it's right but the organization may look at Bonifacio as it's 4th OFer (i think i just threw up a little in my mouth)

Thats how I think they're seeing it. Barden is supposedly slick with the glove in the infield and could be the guy instead of Helms who comes into play 3rd late in the game. Since we wont have Hermi out there anymore as a defensive liability it makes Carrol expendable.

I mean, on a 5 person bench you really need 5 things

-Catcher to compliment whoever your starter is, in our case someone who can attack a lefty CHECK

-Fourth outfielder to play all 3 spots well, and be able to hit lefties if Coghlan/Maybin struggle since they all hit right handers good, or in Cody's case enough CHECK

-Corner infielder who has the ability to hit lefties, SORT OF CHECK, but we'll give Helms the pass here

-Another player who literally can play any position who can thump a right hander, i.e. the opposite primary pinch hitter to helms, NOTHING

-A do everything player who can cover for anyone on the field, CHECK

Your depth chart WITHOUT naming the 13th position player, is completely fine. Everyone is adequately backed up three deep, except SS. And your worst case scenario there is what, if Hanley is hurt, you've already uesd EB at some point in the game, Coghlan has to step in at SS until the game is over? Those are tough odds to base a roster decision on to carry another infielder versus Carroll, or a lefty who can pop right handers. Barden should get a call up if EB gets hurt or proves to be as useless as 2009. That's about it there.

This is stupid. They need Mike Lamb to be awesome, or they need to go out and get another Ross Gload right before the season. It's that easy. Carroll is not the problem. I'd even say he's an above average bench guy if he is able to pinch hit a little because he'd be great to spot once or twice a week in the outfield versus a lefty, or some really big outfield park so he can run down anything hit to the OF. Plus if you send him to AAA, Petersen, Cousins, and Jai are in the outfield. You're literally screwing your depth chart. And imagine if Raynor gets sent back from Pitts which is 50/50 right now. Whose going to not get playing time?

Paulino, Carrol, Helms, Bonifacio, and the best guy regardless of position that is a left handed bat. That's what I'd do. Sidenote, I kind of like the idea of Lowell here too because he's one of the rarer guys that's not going to get jobbed at the plate (and the inverse, I think Gaby would handle himself fine too if he is on the bench that day) regardless if it's lefty or right. But that's rare. Lefty is the way to go if possible, but a worst case scenario of a nice solid right hander would be fine.

my sentiments exactly. while i like Carroll, i wouldn't put it past them to go with Barden for the above reason.

my sentiments exactly. while i like Carroll, i wouldn't put it past them to go with Barden for the above reason.

Actually, Carroll has been taking reps at third base every once and a while this spring, but that's beside the point here.

Carroll has been impressive with the bat this spring, and you simply cannot replace that kind of defensive talent. I can't count on my fingers how many late-inning game-changing plays he made last season. Make the team? With the kind of spring he's had, my question is why he isn't competing as the everyday centerfielder...

Carroll’s oblique injury is more serious, although not as bad as it could be.

Carroll came out of Wednesday’s game against the Twins in the second inning. The good news is it is not in the rib cage. Manager Fredi Gonzalez said Carroll could miss a week or more, which, even best case, puts his chances of making the team in jeopardy.

“You come to the final stretch here for the team, I know I’m a guy that’s on the bubble,� Carroll said. “As eager as I am wanting to put it behind me and get back out there. I know it’s an important time. I have to be patient with it.�

Carroll is contending for the fourth outfielder spot and, even healthy, may have had a difficult time making the team.

Now, it appears he will start the season either on the DL or in Class AAA New Orleans.

“It’s tough timing for anybody,� Gonzalez said. “You’re on the bubble of making the team and to get an injury with 10 days left. … Hopefully it’s just a mild case and hopefully a week or two.�

The team has five bench spots available. A second catcher, West Helms and Emilio Bonifacio will fill three of those. Mike Lamb almost certainly has earned a spot as the left-handed pinch hitter.

Brian Barden now appears to have the lock on the final spot, especially with Carroll’s injury. Bonifacio would then become the fourth outfielder with Barden a backup infielder along with Helms. Barden can also play in the outfield.

Infielders Donnie Murphy and Hector Luna also remain in the competition.

“I think Barden is our best defender in the infield,� Gonzalez said. “He makes difficult plays look easy and makes the easy plays look routine.�

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/2010/03/25/marlins-outfield-injuries-mouting-cody-ross-brett-carroll-out/

Yes. His batting stats last year were night and day compared to his previous efforts, which was the big problem I had with him. This ST he has continued to hit well, so I can't imagine why a guy who has made himself in a capable hitter and an awesome defender would go to AAA. Remember that he was probably going to be one of our starting outfielders in the event Uggla was traded.