Stanton Watch

cornfield

^ ^ Is he the Nick Ungs or Clay Hensley guy or whatever? And yet he wants to give up on Maybin, age 23?

03 - what you said is interesting and likely valid. The part where I disagree is that I think you can begin drawing some conclusions from Stanton's play. I wouldn't suggest projecting his ML stats based off of his April ones, but I do think he's getting close to the point where a promotion to AAA might be necessary.

The other key difference is that he's expected to mash, right now. Pudge is NOT expected to bat .400. So while Stanton isn't expected to OPS 1.200+ and bash 70 homers, of course, he was expected to have a great year and hit for power, so it's more fair to draw (some sort of) conclusions from his stats as opposed to Pudge's.

I agree with other posters on here that less than 100 PA's in AA isn't enough to justify a move up to the big club. Once he gets to 250+ PA's, though, and he's still posting a .300/.440/.650 line it might be time to consider bringing him up.

Just for comparison, Miggy had a .365/.429/.609 (.1038 OPS) in AA after 303 PA's in AA when we brought him up, so in a lot of ways Miggy was mashing better than Stanton and the organization still waited until he had over 300 PA's.

I really can't blame them. I think a player need two full months at the AA level to prove the player is clearly way above that level before considering a promotion.

I agree with other posters that it might make more sense to send him to AAA in May, but I would just as rather wait to call him up to the big club in June.

ROY or not last year, Chris Coghlan needs to show more than the incremental improvements he has the last couple of games to keep a job in the second most offensive position on the field. Coghlan earned a spot in the longterm plans no doubt, but if he's stinking up the joint in the majors and the minor leagues could give him lesser competition to try and find his stroke again, you have to do it with a guy hitting under .200. We sent Ricky Nolasco down last year, who wasn't a ROY but was the opening day starter coming off a great season, and I'd consider it ridiculous not to do the same thing with a hitter looking worse at the plate than Nolasco did on the mound. And it seems many people here are solid in calling Maybin "undecided", although he has impressed much than Coghlan so far and truthfully I'm surprised there is more hate for him than Coghlan right now, considering he is a CFer and putting up better offense despite the negative indicators.

But with two under-performing outfielders, plus a third who will always be streaky, and a young phenom absolutely tearing it up, I think the ETA for Stanton is inching much closer every day. In the offseason it seemed to make sense that he would be down in the minors for a good while longer, but real life never happens according to plan and if the overall plan is to make the playoffs this year, which hopefully would be the case with a team that has shown capable of playing winning if not necessarily playoff-caliber ball, then this team is going to need a spark from a young phenom like Stanton.

Also it would be fantastic publicity if Stanton came up and did well in the same year that the Braves uber-prospect debuted to practically HOF fanfare.

I agree with other posters on here that less than 100 PA's in AA isn't enough to justify a move up to the big club. Once he gets to 250+ PA's, though, and he's still posting a .300/.440/.650 line it might be time to consider bringing him up.

Just for comparison, Miggy had a .365/.429/.609 (.1038 OPS) in AA after 303 PA's in AA when we brought him up, so in a lot of ways Miggy was mashing better than Stanton and the organization still waited until he had over 300 PA's.

I really can't blame them. I think a player need two full months at the AA level to prove the player is clearly way above that level before considering a promotion.

I agree with other posters that it might make more sense to send him to AAA in May, but I would just as rather wait to call him up to the big club in June.

Cabrera was a different case though, despite the young age their minor league careers were much different. Cabrera's highest OPS before 2003 was .754, in Jupiter the year before. Hardly the mark of a future MVP, and its easy to see why Cabrera needed to have 300 PAs in the minors to show that his offensive dominance was legit, given that he had never really provided genune production before. At the same (advanced) age, Stanton OPSed .968 a year after mashing 39 homers. Stanton also got 341 PA's in AA last year. This is already more than Cabrera got that year, and while its true that he did not "mash" last year he is clearly doing that right now, demonstrating mastery of that level (in addition to holding his own at a very young age in ST, something he wasn't really expected to do). Stanton has 420 PA's in AA already, FTR. And Stanton is also a natural outfielder who has pretty good tools for the field, although any kind of evaluation of minor league fielding performance in the outfield is sketchy at best, its safe to say that he could be a million times better than Cabrera in the field.

I really don't see any reason why Stanton should be treated the exact same way as Cabrera because the road to them getting where they are has been nearly 100 percent different except for the age.

03 - what you said is interesting and likely valid. The part where I disagree is that I think you can begin drawing some conclusions from Stanton's play. I wouldn't suggest projecting his ML stats based off of his April ones, but I do think he's getting close to the point where a promotion to AAA might be necessary.

The other key difference is that he's expected to mash, right now. Pudge is NOT expected to bat .400. So while Stanton isn't expected to OPS 1.200+ and bash 70 homers, of course, he was expected to have a great year and hit for power, so it's more fair to draw (some sort of) conclusions from his stats as opposed to Pudge's.

btw, so there's no misunderstanding, I fully expect the guy to be huge, monstrous, (lol king kong lol) in fact I already have my new avatar pic selected when he does make (he's replacing the 18yr old Miggy pic I currently use), I suppose I'm just more patient than most. That's why when I say give the kid at least this season in the minors it isn't out of disrespect, in fact it's the opposite. And again I say, not ignoring the service time issue or $$$ or any of that, I would rather have waited two extra months, than bring him up a half season too early.

LeBatard was laughing at Stugots yesterday over the latter's desire to trade the guy for a few weeks of Manny Ramirez a season ago, it was a funny moment, had to be there. :D

I hope the guy goes out and hits four today.

btw, so there's no misunderstanding, I fully expect the guy to be huge, monstrous, (lol king kong lol) in fact I already have my new avatar pic selected when he does make (he's replacing the 18yr old Miggy pic I currently use), I suppose I'm just more patient than most. That's why when I say give the kid at least this season in the minors it isn't out of disrespect, in fact it's the opposite. And again I say, not ignoring the service time issue or $$$ or any of that, I would rather have waited two extra months, than bring him up a half season too early.

LeBatard was laughing at Stugots yesterday over the latter's desire to trade the guy for a few weeks of Manny Ramirez a season ago, it was a funny moment, had to be there. :D

I hope the guy goes out and hits four today.

Lol, if he hits 4 today, I think Stanton might be seeing a call up to the bigs within this week

Of course two days ago when he was hitting .265...oh nevermind. Bad form here to not bow down to the next prodigy I know.

I somewhat agree, but disagree.

Stanton has massive power. We know this. FO knows this. Anyone that follows prospects knows this. Yeah, he's hitting for MASSIVE power, but he's in the minors to be improving in his weak areas. Not so that fans of the Southern League can fawn over his home runs.

He only spent two months in Jupiter last year. Why? Strike outs. He lowered his K rate to just 21.4% of the time in Jupiter after striking out 28% of the time in Greensboro. So the FO said ok, you have this league figured out, let's see how you do against better pitchers, pitchers with real breaking balls. K rate back up to 29% last year in Jax.

What's his K rate this year? 21.7%.

My agreement is certainly, he's hitting for so much power right now and that's what everyone is talking about, but he's in the minors to be improving. But he is improving in the areas he's in the minors to be improving in. Staying on this rate he won't be in Jacksonville any longer than he was in Jupiter. Which still means he's got a month left to prove it's for real. And when you consider his two month split in Jupiter (April he struck out 27% of the time, May he struck out 17% of the time), he really only had one month in Jupiter where his strike outs were much improved, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's in AAA in the next week or two if he keeps them down.

Nny, I'm going to assume you didn't read my subsequent post to the one you quoted, I kind of feel like you're preaching to the choir. I think as they say, we're reading from the same prayer book. My only worry is about rushing him based on a portion of his offensive stats rather than letting the whole player/person mature and reach his full potential.

Nny, I'm going to assume you didn't read my subsequent post to the one you quoted, I kind of feel like you're preaching to the choir. I think as they say, we're reading from the same prayer book. My only worry is about rushing him based on a portion of his offensive stats rather than letting the whole player/person mature and reach his full potential.

NNY Marlins2003,

I really think you guys have the right approach here, the most important statistic about mike stanton is 20. The kid is so young, and there is no need to rush him to the big leagues because our outfield isnt hitting great in April.

Also we have to deal in reality, the earlier we bring Stanton to the Majors the sooner we have to pay him big dollars. Most of us have been a fan of this team long enough to know finances are the largest factor in any decision the FO makes. That being said I fully expect him to be called up in September, and provide us a big bat during the playoffs in our march to our 3 WS title.

I think none of us expect Stanton to bat .300 in the minors or the majors through an entire season. However, the power is tremendous, and we are seeing what Stanton is capable of.

I'll say this, if he is at around 17 home runs by the end of May and his OPS is still in the high .900's (and Coghlan continues to suffer), it may be time to call up Stanton.

However, perhaps the best time for Stanton will be after the trade deadline, as the Marlins may maximize on Uggla's trade value while he is on top of his game (but you can look at it on the other side as well, if we are in contention, Uggla isn't going, and there is no spot for Stanton to go).

A couple of things:

@upstatenyfishfan: Finances will not be a significant factor here. He's already guaranteed to miss being a super 2 this year, and by the time he's arbitration-eligible, we will be in the new park. They'll make the decision to bring him up or not based on baseball reasons.

@03, everyone else - I agree that he's very young and it wouldn't hurt him to be groomed and brought along a bit more. One thing I will point out, though, is that virtually every single article I've read about him (fluff-and-puff though they may be) has mentioned his unbelievable work ethic and how mature he is. If anyone can handle being in the big leagues at 20, it appears to be him. He seems to be a lot more mature personally than Cabrera.

All that said, I'd definitely send him to AAA first and only call him up if he is both embarrassing the league and we have a position player who could fetch excellent value. Otherwise, whether we're in the race or not, I don't think it's necessary to bring him up. (maybe if someone is reallllllly struggling)

I think none of us expect Stanton to bat .300 in the minors or the majors through an entire season. However, the power is tremendous, and we are seeing what Stanton is capable of.

That's the truth.Stanton doesn't project to be a .300 hitter, it's not what his style is geared towards. Keeping him in the minors for a lengthy time period isn't going to make him one. The thing to look at with him is whether or not he makes contact frequent enough to square up the ball and put to use his considerable power. This is one thing that he clearly does (as evidenced by his recent power output) that Cameron Maybin still has not learned and at this point probably still couldn't even at the AA level like Stanton.

NNY Marlins2003,

I really think you guys have the right approach here, the most important statistic about mike stanton is 20. The kid is so young, and there is no need to rush him to the big leagues because our outfield isnt hitting great in April.

Also we have to deal in reality, the earlier we bring Stanton to the Majors the sooner we have to pay him big dollars. Most of us have been a fan of this team long enough to know finances are the largest factor in any decision the FO makes. That being said I fully expect him to be called up in September, and provide us a big bat during the playoffs in our march to our 3 WS title.

Yes, lets call him up in September, because we'll easily be able to make up whatever ground we've lost due to poor OF performance in that short time frame. After all, wins mean more in the standings in September than they do in any other month, so iot will work out if we don't bring up a potential upgrade until then.

Also, 20 is not a statistic. It's an age and really doesn't factor at all in a players ability. Sure, a hitter can be not ready for the majors yet, but that can be at any age and is relative to how well a player is harnessing their own skill and natural ability. If Stanton is doing that, which maybe he needs just a little bit longer (but not as long as September) to prove, than 20 is a ridiculous reason not to call him up. A-Rod won a batting title at 20. Stanton won't ever win a batting title, but his power stroke is reaching that level of development quickly.

personally far more then the power this year is the concern that he learns to take Walks. You need to not always hit the homeruns but learn to do the small things that are given to you by the pitcher like simple base hit the other way or most importantly taking the BB. His BB numbers are up very far so far and I hope he continues at this pace. Now if he can do that then it will be interesting for the future.

downside for him is russell branyan, middle adam dunn and high side is Howard but a + in the defense by about 3-4-5 range

kid could be very special but little change he wont at least have a nice slugger ability.

However, perhaps the best time for Stanton will be after the trade deadline, as the Marlins may maximize on Uggla's trade value while he is on top of his game (but you can look at it on the other side as well, if we are in contention, Uggla isn't going, and there is no spot for Stanton to go).

Stanton could fit nicely in either LF or right with Uggla on the roster. The obvious thinking is that if Uggla goes, Coghlan will shift to second. If Coghlan can handle second base defensively, then him hitting in the .270 range is tolerable. But to be anywhere close to league average as a LFer, Coghlan simply has to be not too far off from where he was last year, and he's been a long long way from that so far. Cameron Maybin is still a question mark, and while his past history of call-ups and demotions means that this year is his to sink or swim, if he isn't hitting consistently by September then he may not be starting consistently either.

It's pretty easy to imagine where there could be a spot for Stanton to play even with Uggla here.

The way to clear room for Stanton, assuming no injuries, is to bench Gaby (or Morrison) and move Coghlan to 3B. Corner infield and LF defense our are biggest positional concerns, and that fixes the problem. You do not get rid of Cody.

As long as Sanchez keeps hitting with the authority he's showing (and Cantu as well) he's not getting benched or pushed off the scene for anyone and that includes Morrison who may find himself tradebait if they can't find a position for him to play and the team looks to reload this summer. In a choice between Morrison and Stanton there is no choice and no team will dare ask for Stanton in a trade so that leaves Morrison as the number one asked for player in any trade (assuming as I said he is playing up to expectations and even then I'm not saying the Marlins will trade him, I'm just saying he'll be involved in a lot of discussions) Cody will probably be the 4th outfielder if (a big "if") Stanton makes it impossible for the Marlins to keep him down any longer but the idea of a guy with questionable infielding skills and no major league experience (including two spring trainings) manning third part way through a pennant race is unrealistic. Sanchez has to slump big time or Cantu gets injured or one of the wheels falls off somewhere else for that extreme experiment to happen. Understand Cogs has proven he can do most anything he sets his mind to this is not a dig at him but if defense is an issue and we're in it this is not something you would expect would be done in the name of improving the club's ability to compete.

2003 Whatsup Buddy! I hate to tell you Logan isn't goin anywhere He is the very near future of the Club. Cantu has been wonderful but he will not stay over Morrison...Not Now Not Ever!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.