4/13 Post Game

gizmo

Veras man you stink. If you had just some command you could be pretty good but man you have been horrific.

Also there is something about Maybin that just doesn't look right to me. For some reason I just feel hes gonna have a pretty bad year. Don't know why I feel this way but I do.

Just got back and man, is Veras bad. It seemed like every single one of his pitches was a flat fastball straight down the middle. I'm actually surprised he didn't give up more than that. Meyer wasn't as bad as that linescore says. The ump really started squeezing the corners late in the game. He actually flinched on what should have been strike 3 in the eventual game winning RBI AB by the Reds. The catch by Coghlan was quite possibly the best catch I've ever seen in person. Full extension on the artificial warning track and he didn't even get up slow. What a trooper. He still needs to start hitting though. He's just getting on top of everything he swings at. A few more days of this and I'm going to start calling for a demotion and a Gaby promotion.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that this group will never learn how to play solid defense. They'll make a few spectacular plays like Coghlan's, but they'll still lead the league in errors and brain farts.

Yeah I think I might agree there. I don't think this generation will ever be above average defense, and every once in a while they'll just leave you wondering what happened... I think only Cody Ross is above average defender on the Marlins. Also, JJ and Ricky can cover their own ground well for pitchers, but just about every other pitcher we have are terrible fielders. I almost cringe every time they have to make a play. It's a shame too, I really started watching the Marlins back when we had Lowell, Gonzalez, Castillo, and Lee around the horn and those guys were all gold glove caliber.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that this group will never learn how to play solid defense. They'll make a few spectacular plays like Coghlan's, but they'll still lead the league in errors and brain farts.

Yeah I think I might agree there. I don't think this generation will ever be above average defense, and every once in a while they'll just leave you wondering what happened... I think only Cody Ross is above average defender on the Marlins. Also, JJ and Ricky can cover their own ground well for pitchers, but just about every other pitcher we have are terrible fielders. I almost cringe every time they have to make a play. It's a shame too, I really started watching the Marlins back when we had Lowell, Gonzalez, Castillo, and Lee around the horn and those guys were all gold glove caliber.

Volstad is an excellent fielding pitcher

Everyone's blaming the bullpen; anyone notice that our starter pitched like sh*t, too? It's difficult for the bullpen to be effective every night when the starters keep giving 5-6 mediocre innings, and you have to use the weakest pitchers in your already weak bullpen.

At least Pinto pitched 2 scoreless innings, and the team still never gives up. The only positives about this game. I thought the Coghlan play was a bit overrated after watching the replay. Either that, or it was really windy, I didn't think the dive was necessary, but whatever. He made the play, regardless. Would be nice if that happened on a more consistent basis...

Phillies have also been playing the Nationals and win-less Astros.

LMAO! Not laughing at you but this just reminded me of what everyone said about us last year when we started 11-1 against "lesser" competition.

Anywho... these close loses are frustrating but at least their close. When some, like Veras and Robertson, let us down, the rest of the team at least shows the heart and ability to keep everyone in the game. Thats a HUGE quality for this ballclub. We have to keep this up and more often than not, these games will swing in our favor.

And as for the pen, even though they were decent (outside of Veras) though overworked yesterday... the thing that bothers me is that Tommy Hutton kept saying that Fredi is dealing with the hand he was dealt. I agree... but I dont get why he was dealt THAT hand. The front office is supposed to give Fredi the best hand. While I get thats not Fredi's fault, why are we clearly giving him a crappy hand? Hutton, while I love his commentary, just made it sound like Pinto and Veras HAD to be on this team with no questions asked. Then what was the point of inviting dozens of other relievers to spring training?

Clark Spencer

Closed-Door Meeting Gonzalez huddled with Marlins front office executives, including owner Jeffrey Loria, inside the manager's office for a lengthy period following Tuesday's loss, presumably to discuss personnel. If roster moves are made, the bullpen is the likely starting point. Jose Veras had another rough outing on Tuesday, giving up two runs in the top of the eighth. Veras' ERA now staqnds at 15.43 and he has given up at least one run in each of his four outings. Dan Meyer, who took the loss, has a 7.71 ERA.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2010/04/nate-robertson-wowed-by-marlins-grit.html#ixzz0l55dxX66

Loria make those fools get rid of Veras.

Clark Spencer

Closed-Door Meeting Gonzalez huddled with Marlins front office executives, including owner Jeffrey Loria, inside the manager's office for a lengthy period following Tuesday's loss, presumably to discuss personnel. If roster moves are made, the bullpen is the likely starting point. Jose Veras had another rough outing on Tuesday, giving up two runs in the top of the eighth. Veras' ERA now staqnds at 15.43 and he has given up at least one run in each of his four outings. Dan Meyer, who took the loss, has a 7.71 ERA.

Read more: http://miamiherald.t...l#ixzz0l55dxX66

Loria make those fools get rid of Veras.

I hope they're coming to some sort of resolution over our crappy bullpen.

Phillies have also been playing the Nationals and win-less Astros.

the thing that bothers me is that Tommy Hutton kept saying that Fredi is dealing with the hand he was dealt. I agree... but I dont get why he was dealt THAT hand. The front office is supposed to give Fredi the best hand. While I get thats not Fredi's fault, why are we clearly giving him a crappy hand? Hutton, while I love his commentary, just made it sound like Pinto and Veras HAD to be on this team with no questions asked. Then what was the point of inviting dozens of other relievers to spring training?

Couldn't agree more. How terrible was Mike MacDougal that he was released and Veras somehow made the team?