Brandon Marshall to the Dolphins for two 2nd rounders

JetsMania

Main Concerns for the Dolphins right now are defense, defense and defense.

Our offense is solid with an improving Henne, a Returning Ronnie Brown and a top notch WR in Brandon Marshall to join a solid crew of Camarillo, Bess and Hartline(I have a feeling Patrick Turner is going to have a solid year aswell) . TE needs inprovement as Haynos and Fasano are both average. The O-Line is great.

As for the Defense, Smith and Davis can be classified as above avg and they have the potential to be really good(a little less then great) Allen is solid and as for safeties, I'd be satisfied with an Earl Thomas/Yermiah Bell combo. The backers are pretty much all average at best with slight exceptions to Dansby, Crowder and an emerging Cameron Wake. D Line is pretty much average aswell, nothing really pops up at you there. So hopefully we work some magic in the draft and pull out 2 or 3 solid defense lineman and Earl Thomas.

So Overall I'd give the following grades

Offense:

B+

Potential A

Defense:

C+

Potential B

Miller - I mostly agree with you. I severely doubt you get anywhere near a high 2nd for Leon, though. Believe me, I wish you could, because then the Jets could probably get a high 3rd for Leon Washington.

But I don't see either happening. I think Brown's value is closer to a 3rd rounder and Leon's is a 4th/5th. I honestly think that both teams should just keep their backs. And the Dolphins have depth problems as it is at RB, so I wouldn't trade one away. Or, if you do trade Ronnie, then you basically must choose a RB in rounds 1-4. This would mean you'd have 4 key needs - FS, NT, OLB, and RB - that you'd want to address in the first 4 rounds. If you don't have a perfect draft, you'll have at least one key hole, and either way, you may have to reach a bit for some players.

And an NT to occupy 2 OLs is hugely important. I'm not sure what you don't like about Williams, but that is something you could possibly address early in the third (Cam Thomas?). Without knowing what you'll have in that position, I just cannot call the D-Line "strong".

I actually read a report where the Lions were interested in offering their second for him. If we do trade away Ronnie, then I have no problem drafting a RB. Give me Spiller, and I'm a happy camper.

I don't like Williams because I feel he is vastly overrated. He's a one year wonder. If we are going to pick a NT, then Jared Odrick better be the player.

Edit: Wow, I was wayyyyy off, lol. I found the link, but it doesn't say they were interested in parting ways with their second round pick. I read that off of a Dolphins message board, and assumed it was written in the article. Sorry.

Our offense is solid with an improving Henne, a Returning Ronnie Brown and a top notch WR in Brandon Marshall to join a solid crew of Camarillo, Bess and Hartline(I have a feeling Patrick Turner is going to have a solid year aswell) . TE needs inprovement as Haynos and Fasano are both average. The O-Line is great.

As for the Defense, Smith and Davis can be classified as above avg and they have the potential to be really good(a little less then great) Allen is solid and as for safeties, I'd be satisfied with an Earl Thomas/Yermiah Bell combo. The backers are pretty much all average at best with slight exceptions to Dansby, Crowder and an emerging Cameron Wake. D Line is pretty much average aswell, nothing really pops up at you there. So hopefully we work some magic in the draft and pull out 2 or 3 solid defense lineman and Earl Thomas.

Offense:

B+

Potential A

Defense:

C+

Potential B

I don't know what your qualifications are for your grades, but that seems a bit high for the offense. Henne and one of Bess/Hartline would have to really explode for you to be an "A" offense in my book. You'd also have to stay completely healthy at RB and along the O-line, and Fasano would have to do a 180. The TEs are stinkypoo right now as offensive weapons.

I think Earl Thomas is the easy pick at 12, but as I mentioned, you'd still have a few glaring holes. At least you have 3 decent CB right now, although a 4th couldn't hurt against the better passing teams with more viable targets.

I actually read a report where the Lions were interested in offering their second for him. If we do trade away Ronnie, then I have no problem drafting a RB. Give me Spiller, and I'm a happy camper.

I don't like Williams because I feel he is vastly overrated. He's a one year wonder. If we are going to pick a NT, then Jared Odrick better be the player.

Edit: Wow, I was wayyyyy off, lol. I found the link, but it doesn't say they were interested in parting ways with their second round pick. I read that off of a Dolphins message board, and assumed it was written in the article. Sorry.

Btw, Spiller is easily a first-round talent. Maybe you could get Spiller in the 1st round and a guy like Nate Allen in the 2nd round, but you'd probably have to package picks with Ronnie to get back into the 2nd round.

I do wonder if you could find a trade-down partner somewhere?

I dont even think Ronnie Brown would go for a 3rd rounder. He's turning 29 and has only had one 1,000 yard season. I'm not saying that he isn't good, I just dont see anyone giving up anything for an aging RB coming off of another season ending injury. We'll see if there are any takers on Thursday.

If you are going to argue that, then you can just as easily argue that the dolphins could have lost both Jets games and the Patriots game as well. They could be 4-12 as easy as they could be 9-7.

If you are a Jets fan (which you are), I'm not saying it's not okay to argue that you guys could have won those games.

The bottom line is that we did win it, so it's to none of our concern. However we could have won the other games as well. You are right, we could have been 4-12. Cant any team be 4-12? The fact is we WERE 7-9. How can you argue that a team that was able to be 7-9 last year cant top that while getting significantly better? My points adding on the fact that they could've won the other games was just a side note. It's not like the games they lost or won were blowouts. They were in almost every single game last year. They are a highly competitive team, even to the best teams in the league. To both Superbowl teams. To the Jets, who were a lot better than people thought. So how can you state that 7-9 is the cap for an improved competitive team?

Where in any of my posts have I said that?

I havent even stated how I think the dolphins will do next year. I was just responding to your post saying how the dolphins could have been 9-7 or 10-6. They could just as easily have been 4-12. How many times does a team get 103 yards offense, tie an nfl record and score three non-offensive touchdowns in a game? In the first game the dolphins took the lead with 4 seconds left.

The Jets were 9-7 last year. They could have beaten the Dolphins both times, Buffalo, Atlanta, etc... they didnt though.

At the end of the day you are what your record is. The dolphins were a 7-9 team. I haven't said anywhere that they aren't improved. But the fact is they were a 7-9 team last year, no matter how its spun.

You quoted me quoting him. The quote you quoted was to underly the point that 7-9 is a bottom, if anything, not a roof. Which would explain why I said that team easily could have been 10-6. I dont care that they could have been 4-12... I'm not saying you are wrong. The Jets probably shouldnt have made the playoffs, if we are going to speak hypothetically here for no reason.... if you actually read my post rather than just quoting one part of it to contradict it you'd realize that I was making the point that there is no way 7-9 is the best the Dolphins can be next season, 7 wins would be an upset.

We'll see then. You are explaining how they could have won 10 games and I'm explaining how they could have just as easily lost 12 games. The schedule appears harder this year. The dolphins road schedule includes games with 6 playoff teams from last year. Teams look good one year and then play terrible the next year (and vise versa). Quite frankly, nobody should be shocked with what could happen next year. The dolphins could make the playoffs or they could win 6 games.

Offense:

B+

Potential A

Defense:

C+

Potential B

I don't know what your qualifications are for your grades, but that seems a bit high for the offense. Henne and one of Bess/Hartline would have to really explode for you to be an "A" offense in my book. You'd also have to stay completely healthy at RB and along the O-line, and Fasano would have to do a 180. The TEs are stinkypoo right now as offensive weapons.

I think Earl Thomas is the easy pick at 12, but as I mentioned, you'd still have a few glaring holes. At least you have 3 decent CB right now, although a 4th couldn't hurt against the better passing teams with more viable targets.

That's why potential is next to A. If everything goes right, then this is a top 10 offense.

We'll see then. You are explaining how they could have won 10 games and I'm explaining how they could have just as easily lost 12 games. The schedule appears harder this year. The dolphins road schedule includes games with 6 playoff teams from last year. Teams look good one year and then play terrible the next year (and vise versa). Quite frankly, nobody should be shocked with what could happen next year. The dolphins could make the playoffs or they could win 6 games.

:banghead

again you are not processing my point. It wasnt to you. You had nothing to do with it. The fact that the Dolphins could have lost 12 games is insignificant because the Dolphins team itself was not a team worthy of going 4-12. They were in nearly every game they played. And for the ones they were not in... look at the teams it was. Like I said, if you are going to make this argument, go ahead and say the Jets should not have made it into the playoffs.

I know this example is going to be long and thought out, and that's what Im best at. If you are reviewing a teams draft and they picked a terrible player, you can go ahead and say "they could have had that better player instead" however if the team drafts a good player how does it make sense to say "they could have easily drafted that bad player instead"? It's a moot point. they got what they wanted. They got the good player. That's not part of their worries. Nobody looks back on that. Clearly I think you are just bitter because the Dolphins beat the Jets twice.

The schedule this year is hardly any different from last year looking in, so as a Dolphins fan I'm not really worried. Again, please stop ignoring this point now, read the post I was responding to before just responding to my response to you. I dont get how hard that is to do. I never said the Dolphins couldnt have been 4-12, but if they were it would have been a huge upset. Being 7-9 to 9-7 was pretty much their range last year if we wanna make this into a graph, with that being an IQR.

So go ahead, read the post before again replying and telling me all about 4-12, and then respond. How can you talk as if there is no way the Dolphins get over 7 wins when even last years team could have potentially finished with 10 wins had things gone their way (so that's why your point is irrelevant, I dont care with they could have gone 4-12 because I'm showing him one side) that the Dolphins maximum, on a better, more experienced team, caps off at 7-9 and that you will delete your account if anything higher happens?

For whatever it's worth, the Dolphins were 6-4 in games decided by a TD or less.

The Jets were 3-5 in games decided by a TD or less.

If anything, that could suggest that the Jets may have been a bit better than their record and Dolphins may have been a little bit worse.

The Jets were also 1-5 in games decided by less than a touchdown.

The Dolphins also gave up 30 more point than they scored. This is the mark of a team that should be below .500. On the other hand, the Jets were +112, 4th in the AFC and 7th overall.

I agree with the Dolphin Haters.

I wouldn't call JetsMania a Dolphins hater, just a Jets fan. Erick, however, is most defenitely a Dolphin hater.

Well, I mean hater in that he hates the Dolphins as a Jet fan, not in that he just hates on everything they do. In the same way that I hate the Jets so that makes me a Jet hater.

For whatever it's worth, the Dolphins were 6-4 in games decided by a TD or less.

If anything, that could suggest that the Jets may have been a bit better than their record and Dolphins may have been a little bit worse.

The Dolphins also gave up 30 more point than they scored. This is the mark of a team that should be below .500. On the other hand, the Jets were +112, 4th in the AFC and 7th overall.

The Dolphins were also involved in many high scoring games. Overall points is not fair to look at. Go look at the ratio of points negative or positie between opponents.

It's different for the Jets because they were a highly defensive team. The Dolphins relied a lot on their offense, so while their offense showed up their defense didnt necessarily show up. With the Jets on the other hand, it was for most of the season the opposite way. The fact that the Jets were so defensive led way to when they got the horrible Oakland Raiders, they were able to pick them apart defensively and offensively. The worst thing for a bad offense team to see is a good defense. And then again, when what many people presume was a purposeful loss by Cincinatti in the final week 17.

The Dolphins schedule did not consist of significantly bad teams to pick apart, and situational efforts did not conclude otherwise either.

This eventually leads to the idea that the Dolphins got their -30 game by game by game whereas the Jets got nearly 75% of their positivity in two games alone.

This leads me to the conclusion that due to the fact that an NFL season is not long enough to draw true means, it isnt conclusive to state such points. I am not claiming that the Dolphins were better or worse or that of the Jets... just that in the NFL net points is not a conclusive variable.

:banghead

again you are not processing my point. It wasnt to you. You had nothing to do with it. The fact that the Dolphins could have lost 12 games is insignificant because the Dolphins team itself was not a team worthy of going 4-12. They were in nearly every game they played. And for the ones they were not in... look at the teams it was. Like I said, if you are going to make this argument, go ahead and say the Jets should not have made it into the playoffs.

I know this example is going to be long and thought out, and that's what Im best at. If you are reviewing a teams draft and they picked a terrible player, you can go ahead and say "they could have had that better player instead" however if the team drafts a good player how does it make sense to say "they could have easily drafted that bad player instead"? It's a moot point. they got what they wanted. They got the good player. That's not part of their worries. Nobody looks back on that. Clearly I think you are just bitter because the Dolphins beat the Jets twice.

The schedule this year is hardly any different from last year looking in, so as a Dolphins fan I'm not really worried. Again, please stop ignoring this point now, read the post I was responding to before just responding to my response to you. I dont get how hard that is to do. I never said the Dolphins couldnt have been 4-12, but if they were it would have been a huge upset. Being 7-9 to 9-7 was pretty much their range last year if we wanna make this into a graph, with that being an IQR.

So go ahead, read the post before again replying and telling me all about 4-12, and then respond. How can you talk as if there is no way the Dolphins get over 7 wins when even last years team could have potentially finished with 10 wins had things gone their way (so that's why your point is irrelevant, I dont care with they could have gone 4-12 because I'm showing him one side) that the Dolphins maximum, on a better, more experienced team, caps off at 7-9 and that you will delete your account if anything higher happens?

I'll try and answer in order...

The dolphins weren't worthy of losing 12 games lol... then they certainly weren't worthy of winning ten games either

You can certainly make the argument that the jets should have missed the playoffs last year, as easily as you can make the argument that they should have won 12 games.

You're draft argument does not apply to the dolphins next season. If they draft a good player, there is no point in saying they could have drafted a bad player, that's obvious. However, if you are trying to predict a team's success next season, then the games they won/lost do matter. The Jets making one tackle on a kick off or a stop with four seconds left, is the same as having two plays go the dolphins way in a game they lost. When you draft a good player, nobody looks back because you keep the player. You don't necessarily keep success from year to year in the NFL. How many teams are good one year and then bad the next year? The Titans were 13-3 in 2008 and missed the playoffs in 2009.

I'm not that bitter that the Jets lost twice to the dolphins last year. The jets made it to the afc championship, I really dont care who they lost too in the regular season. I think you are bitter that the dolphins had a losing record.

The dolphins range was not 7-9 to 9-7 last year, it was 5-11 to 9-7. If a few things went there way they would have been 9-7 and if a few things had not gone there way they would be 5-11. What's so hard to understand about that?

Caps off at 7 wins? I haven't once said that I don't think the dolphins can win more than 7 games next year. I wouldn't be shocked if they dolphins won 11 games next year or lost 11 games. You shouldn't either.

Cubbies said he'd delete his account if they went 9-7, NOT Jetsmania.

Yeah I know... which is what I'm trying to explain to JetsMania is that he's quoting me on something that I was speaking to cubbies, not him.

And excuse me I keep writing 7-9.

It's a message board not a private message.

Maybe we're just going in circles. All I'm saying is that you can make the case that the dolphins are a 9-7 team as easily as they are a 5-11 team. That's all

Yeah I know... which is what I'm trying to explain to JetsMania is that he's quoting me on something that I was speaking to cubbies, not him.

Maybe we're just going in circles. All I'm saying is that you can make the case that the dolphins are a 9-7 team as easily as they are a 5-11 team. That's all

Im not denying that at all. And as you see I'm not really trying to get too offensive here with you because you are a respectable poster. You have full freedom to post here, just like the rest of us. But dont quote me and sidetrack, please. What you are saying was not relevent to my argument. All I was trying to say was that a 7-9 team, who maybe even could have won more games last year, who are potentially a much better team with the addition of Brandon Marshall offensively, is not limited to 9 wins this year. I'm not claiming they are a playoff team, but there is a very real possibility that the Dolphins, Jets, and Patriots all win 10 games this year.

And I know it's hard to count out any team with Randy Moss and Tom Brady on it... but while the Dolphins and Jets are continuing to get better... the Patriots have not done much but lose Wes Welker. Im not counting them out, but they are no shoo-in.

Im not denying that at all. And as you see I'm not really trying to get too offensive here with you because you are a respectable poster. You have full freedom to post here, just like the rest of us. But dont quote me and sidetrack, please. What you are saying was not relevent to my argument. All I was trying to say was that a 7-9 team, who maybe even could have won more games last year, who are potentially a much better team with the addition of Brandon Marshall offensively, is not limited to 9 wins this year. I'm not claiming they are a playoff team, but there is a very real possibility that the Dolphins, Jets, and Patriots all win 10 games this year.

And I know it's hard to count out any team with Randy Moss and Tom Brady on it... but while the Dolphins and Jets are continuing to get better... the Patriots have not done much but lose Wes Welker. Im not counting them out, but they are no shoo-in.

I'm not at all trying to attack you personally. The issue with just saying that the dolphins could have won two or three more games is that you can say that for basically every team. The Jets had 4 games that they could easily have won. The patriots have the 2-3 games they could have won as well. We can go down the line with teams that should have won more games.

I think the dolphins have made upgrades, as have the jets. Patriots will be good as well. If you are going to say the Dolphins could be a 9 win team, then you should also say the Jets and Patriots are 12 win teams. Anyways, enough of this.

Now who's ready for the schedule on tuesday and the draft on thursday?

The Dolphins were also involved in many high scoring games. Overall points is not fair to look at. Go look at the ratio of points negative or positie between opponents.

It's different for the Jets because they were a highly defensive team. The Dolphins relied a lot on their offense, so while their offense showed up their defense didnt necessarily show up. With the Jets on the other hand, it was for most of the season the opposite way. The fact that the Jets were so defensive led way to when they got the horrible Oakland Raiders, they were able to pick them apart defensively and offensively. The worst thing for a bad offense team to see is a good defense. And then again, when what many people presume was a purposeful loss by Cincinatti in the final week 17.

The Dolphins schedule did not consist of significantly bad teams to pick apart, and situational efforts did not conclude otherwise either.

This eventually leads to the idea that the Dolphins got their -30 game by game by game whereas the Jets got nearly 75% of their positivity in two games alone.

This leads me to the conclusion that due to the fact that an NFL season is not long enough to draw true means, it isnt conclusive to state such points. I am not claiming that the Dolphins were better or worse or that of the Jets... just that in the NFL net points is not a conclusive variable.

First, I did NOT say it was conclusive. I noted that it may be suggestive. That can certainly be mitigating or extenuating circumstances, this is true.

There are a lot of issues with what you've said above, though. First, the Jets and Dolphins only had 2 uncommon opponents. The Dolphins played San Diego and Pittsburgh, and the Jets did not; conversely, the Jets played Oakland and Cincinnati, while the Dolphins did not. Cincinatti was a playoff team, so you can't say that they were "significantly bad". The only "significantly bad" opponent we had that you didn't was Oakland.

The Jets played against the Bengals regulars for the entire first half, at which point they were leading 27-0. To say that they didn't earn that point differential is completely unfair.

What you discussed about being a defensive team versus an offensive team is not right. Winning 31-30 is basically as impressive as winning 14-13. In fact, if anything, the Jets having such an positive differential is even MORE impressive, because they played a ball-control style offense, AKA shortening the game so their edge is pushed less.

I certainly agree that taking off the most extreme games will make everyone's number much closer to zero. And it is indeed fair to say that the Jets picked up a lot of their differential against TB and OAK (61 to be exact). But every team plays some poor opponents (obviously some teams have tougher schedules than others). The Dolphins struggled to beat TB; and I'm comparing the Jets' differential to other teams, not to the Dolphins in particular.

Just to shut you guys up, statistically speaking the Dolphins win range was 4-10. You play that season 100 times, the Dolphins end up with 4-10 wins 95 percent of the time. If you want a more precise range (but with a higher probability of being wrong ... actually a 32% probability you will be wrong), then the Dolphins were really a 6-8 win team. Given the composition of the team throughout the season (losing Ronnie Brown, etc.), I think that's pretty fair.

The composition of this team will be different. Adding Marshal probably adds 2 games to the team's mean, given the composition of the new team versus the old team. That puts them at 8-10 wins. If they can keep Ronnie Brown healthy all season long, that could be another game. Puts them at 9-11 wins. You make some really good moves in terms of defensive personnel, maybe you add one game. That puts them at 10-12. Bigger range puts them at 8-14 games. In other words, if they get lucky, they will win 12-14 games. If they get unlucky, they win 8 games. And if they get really unlucky, they win 6-8 games.

Just to shut you guys up, statistically speaking the Dolphins win range was 4-10. You play that season 100 times, the Dolphins end up with 4-10 wins 95 percent of the time. If you want a more precise range (but with a higher probability of being wrong ... actually a 32% probability you will be wrong), then the Dolphins were really a 6-8 win team. Given the composition of the team throughout the season (losing Ronnie Brown, etc.), I think that's pretty fair.

The composition of this team will be different. Adding Marshal probably adds 2 games to the team's mean, given the composition of the new team versus the old team. That puts them at 8-10 wins. If they can keep Ronnie Brown healthy all season long, that could be another game. Puts them at 9-11 wins. You make some really good moves in terms of defensive personnel, maybe you add one game. That puts them at 10-12. Bigger range puts them at 8-14 games. In other words, if they get lucky, they will win 12-14 games. If they get unlucky, they win 8 games. And if they get really unlucky, they win 6-8 games.

Order your rings...

I didnt really. You just refuse to see it. And it's getting annoying because this is all you do.

I guess we're even then because I find you being a big homer quite annoying, as well.

Still haven't proved my point wrong. All you do is hate and laugh at others opinions instead of proving your point write.

Also, if you find me annoying, stop posting here. You don't like Miami because they're better than the Panthers, so leave.

"Potential franchise QB" - I don't see any non-Dolphin fans saying that Chad Henne is the next great thing. He has NFL starter potential, at the moment. I don't know what you mean when you say "potential franchise QB" though. He certainly doesn't project as anything elite.

"Elite Offensive Line" - Certainly above average, and Jake Long can very well become an elite LT for years. No argument here.

"Very good WR unit" - Above average WR unit now with the Marshall acquistion.

"Elite running game" - When Ronnie Brown is healthy...which doesn't happen often for a full year. Not to mention, Ronnie Brown is now about to be a 29 year old, I believe. Ricky Williams is nearing his mid-30's. Keep drinking the kool-aid, though.

"Very good defensive line" - A 3-4 defense with a need at NT, a "very good defensive line." Yeah...ok.

"Potentially great secondary with Davis, Smith, and Allen" - Potentially not. But to make you feel better, I'm sure Davis will be the next Deion, and Smith will be the next Revis.

"Our ILB duo is also very good with Crowder as our banger, which is what he does well, and Dansby"- Lol so you think Channing Crowder is good? Ok...I guess I think, differently. To be fair, he's pretty good at being a nobody who talks a lot of crap, and sounds retarded in the process. He's great at that!

As I said, you pretty much overrated everything. It's nice to see you're still bringing up the Panthers, though. Perhaps you don't talk about the Panthers because you don't care/don't know squat about hockey, thus you wouldn't know where to begin.

It's really great how you bring them up here though; I guess the homer in the argument ends up looking foolish, so he has to mention other irrelevant topics to make the other person look "foolish." You got me! I'm a Panthers fan, and we suck! Congrats!?!? Your turn now? "I'm a Dolphins fan, and right now my team is average." Go ahead, I believe in you...